Wow....The AI....Just... WOW !

Wow...Yes, You'v heard that word before in the title, but Im seriously impress with the work on the AI. I was one to constantly complaint about how the AI would just turn in circle, so...When I read the update, I fired up my Virtual Headset, Plugged in my BF-109 replica joystick, because it both had been collecting dust for a while, and I tried the game.  NO MORE CIRCLES from the AI. ( Difficulty Veteran to Ace). It was SUCH A BLAST to play, I felt like a pilot from ww2 trying to shoot down those pesky allied pilots ( that I admire in real life, but in the virtual world...down with their heads !! :P ) 

Anyway... Just writing this post here, in case the devs are reading, your work is not going unnoticed, not from me at least. This is all I was waiting before buying more titles and Im thinking of taking up Flying Circus now because...How awesome it must be now to fight with those against the AI.  ( I dont usually play MP because you can only see dots in VR, although when I do play, its usually a bomber plane so I dont have to worry about gunning down the wrong team ). 

Well, there you go, thank you very much for your work ! The AI update has fired up my need to play this game!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 18
1 hour ago, Pruciak said:

Are they still relentlesly chasing you back home in large numbers?

yes they are.  The teamwork still has yet to be worked on.  Things like following orders, not doing rediculous things like flying until you are out of fuel and the like are still problems.  They have a small team and can only tackle so much at once and it appears that they had been focusing on individual AI combat behaviors.  Hopefully they will work on the other AI behaviors as well.

Edited by zdog0331
Grammar
  • Upvote 1

Apart from these impressive improvements, quite noticeable with  Ai, i am also impressed with the continuous improvement of Il2.

Maybe i have to pre invest in battle of Normandy as i did with FC and Rheinland Lol.

Now i am eagerly awaiting a little more bait, like an announcement of a flyable C47 will be tempting enough ..

Now how about some integration of the FMB within the game? FMB undo functions?

Improvement of the FMB's zooming functions with large maps, like Rheinland and probably Normandy too might be some idea there too.

Edited by jollyjack

Yes, the AI...

Since my first experience encountering enemy AI was not exactly positive - look here:...

... I decided to hold on with further purchases till some improvements are done.

I have to say that now, after some time following closely this franchise and where it is going, I have to give the devs credits for improving the gameplay.

So after the last update that brought more AI improvements, I actually made an exception to my rule (of not buying anything that I do not need (=play) at the moment) and got the BoBP and pre-purchased the BoN 😎

All the best for the team, thank you, happy Xmas and I am looking forward to the future development of this sim! :salute:

Milan

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

He is actually playing the "AI" plane when you think you are playing "SP".  ;)  

I would gladly welcome him to fly the AI aircraft, flying in front of me in my formation. Would make flying much more relaxable.:joy:

Great to hear, didn't test the new patch yet. But I agree, the AI got better over time, in regards to the fighting style at least. Don't know if the "chase the enemy over the whole map just to die above the enemy airfield via AAA" behaviour has been fixed yet, but in combat it is most definitely an improvment!

I was able to shoot down almost every plane on ace within a few minutes, but now, man I have to fight for my life when I encounter those aces...

Oh and dear devs, while you are at it, teach them pilots to handle taxi so we can finally start our career missions from cold and dark... :)
Have a nice hollyday all,

cheers

In my case, they headed home only after I landed.

That was in my Ju-52 career. On my way back home, the enemy fighters spawned quite deep into "our" territory, caught up with me and opened fire. I pressed on the tree tops (could look the squirrels straight in the eyes) and on two engines and holes all over the plane I desperately landed on friendly airfield. All that with 109s parked on apron and their pilots probably having great time in the barracks 🤣

It would be nice in such case (being chased over friendly territory with friendly airfields not too far away) to have few friendly AI fighters scrambling for some badly needed help.

It was fun and adrenaline anyway, I have to say 😀

• Haha 1

While I still see eternal circling, I can't say that AI haven't improved A LOT.

Indeed the new AI developer guy rocks it

12 minutes ago, kendo said:

In the career a few weeks ago, I was chased by a gaggle of enemy aircraft back over my own lines for about 10 minutes, but they eventually did give up the chase and head home.

I was doing a Scripted campaign mission the other day, in a G6. After attacking an enemy airfield, I then decided to go back to my base.

The enemy airbase was like 10 minutes away from mine, so when I was maybe 2-3 minutes from my base, I got bored and started doing some stupid maneuvering and playing with the throttle setting it to idle and such.

Suddenly I see a plethora of tracers all around me and one second later my pilot is dead and my plane is totally and completely rekt. It was a damned Yak7, he sure wanted vengeance no matter how far he had to fly! lol

Many problems with AI persist but I did notice the change in df logics. I do not know if it is an improvement. The thing I know is AI 109G4 maneuvered me into his teammates crosshair and my VVS pilot`s life ended on his 18th sortie.

2 hours ago, unreasonable said:

He is actually playing the "AI" plane when you think you are playing "SP".  ;)  

Hmm, I wonder how he's gonna pull that stunt of with several SP players flying at the same time...:wacko:

Edited by Gretsch_Man

I tried yestearday, and did not notice big changes.

I was playing a Spitfire Mission over Bobp and the 109G6 were still turning with the spitfire.

Also,  I was chased up to my airfield, as usual.

In anotehr mission over Stalingrad, as a leader, I was left alone when attacking a bomber formation.

I haven't played since the p38 came out but dogfight are much better now. Setup a qmb with 7x tempest vs 7 doras. It was good no endless spirals and some of my wingman shot stuff down. I bagged 6 planes, I'm wondering if I need to up ai to ace , as I'm usually terrible in a dogfight or maybe it was just tempest. But it was a good time much better improvement 

I'm deep into a Tempest career in the Rhineland map and have been routinely shooting down 6-7 enemy planes per sortie. The only limit is the ammo count. After the update I'm lucky if I get a brace and usually I'm heading home dragging my prop through the grass with a gaggle of very angry huns behind me. I've also noticed that enemy planes will attempt to drag you plus use the vertical more.

This is a welcome change as it's now forced me to be a lot more cautious about jumping into the melee...:rolleyes:

Back again to say how much I like how they fly now.

I'm really getting better now that i'm forced to use out of plane maneuvering much more to get the advantage.

The only feedback is if they would have a bit more random behavior, even if it would be a mistake on their part... for example, not always starting off QMB the same way... sometimes diving, sometimes going left, sometimes going right.

Edited by von_Michelstamm