Tuna

Native VR 5x Zoom Please

IL-2 supports VR beautifully, but the native 2x VR zoom is far from practical for identification. yes we have 3dmigoto now, but honestly speaking, it's not convienet or comfortable, . also some monitor players complaint that the 10x zoom 3dmigoto provided make this game unfair, bringing VR player advantage in SA. DCS supports VR telescope perfectly, I think it might be easy for developers to add this feature we long for 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 38

Agree, I would love to see them implement two levels of VR zoom.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 3

wholeheartedly agree with OP.

2x not enough for id planes and 10x is a bit much. just changing the 2x to  5x would be great.

Its quite annoying having to wait for the mod to be fixed (though we greatly appreciate it in vr!) every time the game updates.

It literally stops me flying as I have hit friendlies and even let enemy go when im jump someone thinking they are friends.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Please Devs, consider 7.5x zoom.

I will be happy with 5x though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

Posted (edited)

Yes...i have got oculus rift cv1...without the mod i cant see sh...t

5 minutes ago, VonMarts said:

and iam not a cheater...i only want to see...iam blind to see tanks veicles planes.

i want to have fun with my ground atacks in  this sim.

and not to be a cannon foder for that E69 who wants to be the ultimate ace of the sim...

Edited by VonMarts
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

I would love to see a second zoom level introduced, like around x5 or so.

I prefer not to run mods of any kind.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

Agreed. Please bring a VR zoom thats comparable with the 2D zoom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

+1 For a built-in 7.5x VR Zoom as well (But please no zoom in/zoom out effect...)

Edited by SCG_Meka
  • Upvote 1

On 12/18/2019 at 6:03 AM, [DBS]Browning said:

Removal of the slow zoom in/out effect would also be appreciated.

That is optional currently, you can choose between slow or instant zoom, read the notes of the past update, and tells you how to change it.

20 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

That is optional currently, you can choose between slow or instant zoom, read the notes of the past update, and tells you how to change it.

I know buddy. You're quoting 2019 me. 😉

• Haha 1

Just now, [DBS]Browning said:

I know buddy. You're quoting 2019 me. 😉

😅 sorry

• Upvote 1

Absolutely agreed.

Indeed, without a better in-game VR zoom, or a mod that permits a better zoom in VR, I'm pretty much done flying.

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 4

Because that would be the sensible thing to do.

+1

Posted (edited)

I concur, having the same ability to zoom in VR as on a monitor natively in the game would be a perfect solution.

Edited by yossarian_lives

On 12/18/2019 at 1:57 AM, Tuna said:

IL-2 supports VR beautifully, but the native 2x VR zoom is far from practical for identification. yes we have 3dmigoto now, but honestly speaking, it's not convienet or comfortable, . also some monitor players complaint that the 10x zoom 3dmigoto provided make this game unfair, bringing VR player advantage in SA. DCS supports VR telescope perfectly, I think it might be easy for developers to add this feature we long for 

+1000000000000000% on this.

• Like 1

Chiming in my support for better (stronger) VR zoom. I like the current strength for getting a better look at my instruments, but IDing is very hard (relative to 2D) with a headset and the stock VR zoom.

• Like 1

I would also like to see some more options for zoom in VR. Ideally some configurable option with either one configurable zoom multiplier that users can set, multiple buttons that could be mapped for multiple zoom levels or ideally, just an axis support as it is on 2D zoom.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FMF-Tommy544 said:

I would also like to see some more options for zoom in VR. Ideally some configurable option with either one configurable zoom multiplier that users can set, multiple buttons that could be mapped for multiple zoom levels or ideally, just an axis support as it is on 2D zoom.

Axis would be great just not sure if it's harder to implement than on/off zoom.

7.5x sounds reasonable after using the migoto where 10x was not an overkill either. But it can be anything as long as the testers make sure it's competitive in online play compared to the 2d experience. We don't need more but cannot go with less, and I don't mean purely the number of magnification but rather the ability to identify AC with max zoom.

• Upvote 3

+1

Another Rift (non-S) user here who would be dead in the water without a workable zoom implementation.  Losing migoto would be a huge blow to my ability to enjoy this otherwise excellent game.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Also, to be clear, here is why having a viable zoom (either natively or in a mod) in VR is absolutely important:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OODA_loop

Note that the first element of the OODA loop is "Observe". Currently, in VR, without the zoom you cannot properly observe, as observation includes _identifying_  the contacts. Without that information, you cannot effectively engage the rest of the loop.

So, unless VR is condemned to be a novelty with no place in serious MP play, this issue must be rectified. Either a viable zoom is implemented in-game, or a proper mod approved, or else IL-2 will relinquish its place as the best simulator for VR play.

Thank you.

Edited by 71st_AH_Yankee_
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Spotting's fine for me, but 1.5 zoom just doesn't get to a point where I can not reliably ID until a lot closer (Around 3k) whereas I can identify in real life around 5-6km (the BoB memorial flight (Spitfire, Hurricane) does training in my area, and so do the red arrows (BAE Hawk, wingspan 33ft)

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles

Posted (edited)

Yes, please. The vitriol over 3dmigoto already slashed my desire to fly. Now with it under attack by the devs, I doubt I'll come back to il2 until this issue is addressed.

Edited by 69th_Bazzer
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Spotting's fine for me, but 1.5 zoom just doesn't get to a point where I can not reliably ID until a lot closer (Around 3k) whereas I can identify in real life around 5-6km (the BoB memorial flight (Spitfire, Hurricane) does training in my area, and so do the red arrows (BAE Hawk, wingspan 33ft)

Wow, that's better than me. With the base 1.5X VR zoom,  I can't reliably ID until like 1-2km with the Oddysey +. Either way, it entirely shuts down effective use of VR in multiplayer situations. 

• Upvote 3

Agreed. The currently implemented native VR zoom in IL2 is far too little for effective spotting, certainly not to a parity to monitors.

without better zoom I as a Rift S user am at a significant handicap to flatscreen gamers. Putting a hell of a lot more effort checking my six inMultiplayer I can deal with, but a lack of zoom parity I can’t!

• Like 1

Agree with OP. Without mods multiplayer is nearly impossible unless on a server with icons and that just takes a lot of the fun out of it. Keeps me stuck in singleplayer land 95% of the time.

24 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

Wow, that's better than me. With the base 1.5X VR zoom,  I can't reliably ID until like 1-2km with the Oddysey +. Either way, it entirely shuts down effective use of VR in multiplayer situations. 

Tbh that extra k is probably mainly intuition.

• Like 1

Agreed. Native zoom isn't useful at all except for maybe reading your gauges. VR is a choice and it's up to the user to adapt to the limitations like with FOV and the limitations of the human neck.

I do think we need some kind of help zoom-wise to be able to spot. I really hope the devs give VR some love, it's amazing in VR.

Yup, Migoto not being available for VR pretty much kills VR being competitive.

Or at least it severely disadvantages VR players.  

They should remove the zoom feature completely until it's made equal for everyone IMO.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

Yup, Migoto not being available for VR pretty much kills VR being competitive.

Or at least it severely disadvantages VR players.  

Right. And it is not just zoom from Migoto important, but convergence too. We all have different ipd-s, and need to fine tune where our eyes are watching. And also do not do that at cost of more pc power; Migoto was gold with their simple optimised solutions. Just make it hard coded in game, and let us fiddle convergence and keys, and that is all.

Edited by Brzi_Joe
  • Upvote 4

Has it been officially decided that 3DMigoto is permanently forbidden?

Posted (edited)

I will say this. 

The number of VR users right now who may not realize that Migoto is unlikely to be re-released for the upcoming patch is probably substantial. When they go to find the updated version and create threads asking where it is... I think maybe we should all make a concerted effort to have them redirected here?

2 minutes ago, SCG_Meka said:

Has it been officially decided that 3DMigoto is permanently forbidden?

This has not been officially stated. The way I read Jason's post, discussion of the mod/no mod has been forbidden. Either way, it is a moot point when the update releases tomorrow with no zoom support and likely none on the way. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe