Sign in to follow this  
BornToBattle

Retro Flight Simming

Phah! graphics! When I was a kid, we had circles of paper, charts, dice, and CARDBOARD!

AND WE LIKED IT!

pic107326.jpg?w=387&h=241&crop=1

49888692_26246256.jpg

Edited by cardboard_killer
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

By the time I bought il2 46, this game was already out. I got Stalingrad and Moscow a couple weeks after. I remember the he111h16 came out a couple days into me playing this game. I got into il2 after growing disillusioned by warthunder and trying the old il2 on my little brothers pc who had track ir and all that. That really made an impression.

the most retro fs I ever played was some f16 game on an uncles computer when I was probably about 10. Not long after I got an older ace combat game for ps2 but had trouble back then not lawndarting every 30 seconds.

Edited by Hajo_Garlic

On 12/24/2019 at 8:21 AM, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

@-=-THERION I also wish there would be a modern high fidelity simulator of Hind. Was a nice sim for it's time. 

The HIND is in the pipeline for DCS...

5 hours ago, CastorTroy said:

The HIND is in the pipeline for DCS...

I know, it's somewhere in the pipeline for DCS, thank you. But that's the problem too. We will have a super detailed HIND model with

all the buttons and switches available etc. - alas, it will be just another high tech module for DCS. So, not much of content! Sad...

On 1/1/2020 at 1:24 AM, Ybremmos said:

Fighter Duel by Jaeger Software

Spot on, that was a great sim indeed. Multiplayed it a lot as well. I can only recall multiplayer actually, not anything else. Was there AI?

I played a load of sims from the days of the C64, via Amiga into the PC era.

I do not know all the sims by name anymore though. 

At the moment when i look at WW2 combat sims i compare them often to Microprose European Air War, which was just amazing to me.

I was part of a virtual JG5 squadron then, with Jerry Boucher who is now making his money by making beautiful drawings of WW2 planes.

Maybe people here have heard of him, you can find his name often on sites like www.hyperscale.com.

IL-2 1946 was great, but i didnt like the campaigns, too short, not always realistic or representative of the simulated conflict.  For example, the pacific campaign with the famous blacksheep squadron never involved flying from islands with F4U's which did happen in real life.

And the pearl harbor campaign from the Japanese side was just with too few airplanes and i never discovered how i could increase this number. I mean attacking pearl harbor with 12 planes or so was disappointing to me.

I only liked the Hungarian campaign, but again, this one was also very short.

I bought IL-2 BoS months ago, but i noticed i needed a trackir or VR kit.

Since i had no money for this then, i put IL-2 BoS in the "fridge" for a while.

Couple of weeks ago i finally bought a trackir and i have clocked 15 hours in the sim since.

I love it so far, but i stick with offline for now. I am a bit rusty.

Edited by Fastbikkel

On 12/28/2019 at 7:18 AM, cardboard_killer said:

Phah! graphics! When I was a kid, we had circles of paper, charts, dice, and CARDBOARD!

AND WE LIKED IT!

pic107326.jpg?w=387&h=241&crop=1

49888692_26246256.jpg

Yup! This is the stuff I first flew simulated flights on! I’m proud to say as my pic shows I’m still proud owner of a few of my old favorites, though when it comes to flight simming the old cardboard hexagonal grids can’t hold a candle of course to the complexity of the software today. Hence, no more Dauntless, B-17 Queen of the Skies or such in my lineup anymore. 😔 However, being its a strategic game I still have AH’s edition of Luftwaffe! 

486CBC65-2F9A-4161-AA7A-0C93AB0A22C1.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah some of those old titles...if I was smart I would have saved that first rig I made and kept it for nostalgics sake let alone to run some of the old titles for memories sake.