Sign in to follow this  
BornToBattle

Retro Flight Simming

Thought I’d take a trip down memory lane here. Sorry if this has been done before, so my apologies...

Some  posts over in the General Discussion forum got me thinking about where we were as a flight sim community (regardless whether commercial or combat) and how far we have come today and what the future holds. With the leaps and bounds technology has taken over the years it only seems to be accelerating even more as time goes on. With the rise of VR now being used it takes “feels like being there” to a whole new level. One can only imagine what the next 10 or 20 years will bring! I’ll be long gone by then unfortunately so I decided to look in retrospect to what has been instead.

A little history from me. I grew up my teen years through the ‘70’s and my very first experience with any sort of anything simulating flight was SPI’s Air War. Yup. A board game (“bored” game to the newer generation PC crowd). Situations were resolved using hit probability modifiers and rolls of the dice to simulate percentages of a given outcome to happen. My favorite scenarios involved flying the F-4 over Vietnam. The rules, OMG...especially since I found flying Wild Weasel missions to be a challenge - were cumbersome to say the least. It was up to an individuals memory really as to what was to be or not in relationship to what could be accomplished on the board and involved frequent “I don’t think you can do that” references back to the rules booklet!  I still have many of my Avalon Hill games.

CAD4EC79-BF83-4F2F-B8E9-984482A5B18B.jpeg

A slew of others came and went as well such as B-17 Queen of The Skies, Avalon Hill’s Luftwaffe (though strategic) and Flight Leader but fast forward to our current gender namely with the advent of computers, and my first was Fly! developed by Terminal Reality. I had a 150mb hard drive which required me to dump a bunch of programs each time I decided to run it on my Mac LCIII. I also had the old dial up internet connection...think “...grrrr...bink...bong, bong, bong....grrrrr...” and no resumable download capability in the event of a download interruption. I never made it to Fly! II as I had switched over to PC based machines by then.

81F39B65-2AE5-4950-85A4-4E073B410C4C.jpeg

My next was F/A 18  Hornet by Strike Fighter Simulations - the original - not the 3.0 version. I thought that was the cats meow. Wow. The graphics were so much better than Fly! and it didn’t have an annoying greyed out depiction of a 737 abruptly landing whenever it felt like it like Fly! did! And the cockpit graphics - just jaw dropping!

DEA58037-B82F-4361-960D-64A8C309C322.png

3DE4483C-865C-4D54-8A5D-4A5972EECE68.png

Then came the MSFS series. I think the 2004  session was my favorite as I had it heavily modded with Alaskan scenery in order to do bush flying. The last was the half baked MSFSX which I found gave me more time troubleshooting glitches than actually flying so off my hard drive that eventually went.

1B930833-5634-49C6-A770-A90F1DF8A517.jpeg

Fast forward to today and I make my own rigs and try to stay reasonably up to date so the hardware can handle the latest software, and vice versa. The only flight sims I have currently are some DCS modules, of course all the IL-2 Great Battles, RoF and the current XPlane.

But wow, how far we have come in one’s lifetime. So I was wondering what all brought you all where you are today? Trails and tribulations abound I’m sure!  But oh, what memories!

848163D8-DF39-481C-9EA8-9E369A2E7866.jpeg

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

“Anybody at all? How about you people in the back row there? Just raise your hand. No need to say your name just speak. C’mon, don’t be bashful...um...the weather. How about this weather, huh? Nothing? Okay. Let’s talk about your favorite color then...or a song. Anybody married have any to share? Single? Nothing. I’m beginning to sound like one hand clapping here people...soooo...anyone tried the PC  erosion of RDR2? No? Well this rabbit hole certainly turned into a dead end...”

I think the first 'flight simulators' I owned were 'Fighter pilot' and ''Tomahawk for the Amstrad CPC, back in the mid 1980's. I've still got the computer, which worked last time I tried it a year or so ago, and I think I've still got both games. I seem to recall actually getting one to load, though actually playing it would probably be a disappointment given the frame rate and graphics crudeness by modern standards

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Fighter_Pilot

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Tomahawk

My biggest problem is that I throw everything out...

I still remember though flying one of the first versions of Apache, and that great CYAC !!!! And of course Janes ww2 fighters :-)

But I kept using mostly civil flightsims, and only very recently turned into air combat sims.

1 minute ago, jcomm-il2 said:

My biggest problem is that I throw everything out...

Mine is that I don't throw enough things out...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I've discovered simulation and more generally warplane world with Hellcat and his extension Leyte Gulf on Mac in 1992.

Hellcat.PNG.5bb90f041b1200be528db8b694333615.PNG

This game was really great, I played it late, and sure I will have a lot of pleasure to play it again today.

It's by far the game that marked me the most.

Airwar was nearly unplayable. Air Force/Dauntless were the board games I was most into, for air combat. SWOTL was the first combat flight sim, but there were plenty of others. IL-2 1946 was the last for ten years almost before picking up IL-2 BoX.

I tried my hand with a really old blocky sim on one of my uncle's old computers before getting my own and moving towards the dynamix stuff. (Red Baron, Aces over...) I think I then went to Microprose with 1942 pacific airwar and fleet defender, f15III  and Jane's WW2 (whilst and at the same time having a little fun in something called Apache Longbow and Hind from digital integration) I've also played Jane's other titles like USAF and ATF and US Navy fighters. But by that time European Airwar was also rolling around, and Il 2 soon followed..

5 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

Airwar was nearly unplayable. Air Force/Dauntless were the board games I was most into, for air combat. SWOTL was the first combat flight sim, but there were plenty of others. IL-2 1946 was the last for ten years almost before picking up IL-2 BoX.

Dang...almost forgot that! I had a copy and you know for whatever reason I never got around to playing. Sold on eBay. Wish I hadn’t now.

7 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I think the first 'flight simulators' I owned were 'Fighter pilot' and ''Tomahawk for the Amstrad CPC, back in the mid 1980's. I've still got the computer, which worked last time I tried it a year or so ago, and I think I've still got both games. I seem to recall actually getting one to load, though actually playing it would probably be a disappointment given the frame rate and graphics crudeness by modern standards

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Fighter_Pilot

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Tomahawk

Wow, I wished I had kept my old Mac LCII now along with the game titles. Nostalgic. I ended up giving it away to one of our secretaries for home use. I then went out and picked up one of those iMac machines...the all in ones types. 

I tried running an old sim (forgot which one it was) some years back and I just barely even got it to load on the new rig. 

4 hours ago, Sharpe43 said:

I tried my hand with a really old blocky sim on one of my uncle's old computers before getting my own and moving towards the dynamix stuff. (Red Baron, Aces over...) I think I then went to Microprose with 1942 pacific airwar and fleet defender, f15III  and Jane's WW2 (whilst and at the same time having a little fun in something called Apache Longbow and Hind from digital integration) I've also played Jane's other titles like USAF and ATF and US Navy fighters. But by that time European Airwar was also rolling around, and Il 2 soon followed..

Ah, the Pacific! Almost forgot my love affair with Combat Flight Simulator 2! Had that modded some and enjoyed flying that quite a bit. Then CFS3 came out and I thought that would be great trying out the European machines but wow...what a failure. Too buggy. I think I tried some half a dozen times to get it to in correctly but Microsoft (if I recall correctly) never did give it anymore attention.

Lol...the old Hornet sim...

5 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

I think at times in AirWar we spent as much time referring back and forth to the rules as we a actually did game play!

For whatever reason I always seemed to gravitate towards Avalon Hill rather than SPI’s stuff.

Edited by BornToBattle

Well BornToBattle, it's like this see, the weather here is shit hot with fires burning along much of the east coast of this country with smoke everywhere. Persistent strong westerlies for months. No rain. Dust everywhere. It's a bad drought man and I wish I was somewhere else like over the rainbow or Minnesota or something. My favourite colour is …. oh what the heck why should I tell anyone what it is. I'm too bashful. Musically, I've always liked "a whole lotta love" when I can get it and of course walks along the beach and playing guitar. Doesn't everyone.

I was a late starter to flight sims getting into it in the mid naughties. Dang it man! I was married with kids and a mortgage for Christ sake and working my guts out. I just didn't have the friggin' time! …. whoa calm down man …. [deeeeep breath] ….. [ommmmm …. ommmmm]. Think of vegetables.:(

Anyway, Crimson Skies was always a hoot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

S! 

Nice trip down the memory lane here :) I have many of the flight games still on the shelf here. Thanks for creating this topic, good memories :)

I am with catchhov----- at the time, Crimson Skies was a great deal of fun for me. It was a very creative piece with nice story line and you can't deny the immersive music. It would be really nice to have a new updated version of this game.

-- cheers--

-sf-

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, soarfeat said:

I am with catchhov----- at the time, Crimson Skies was a great deal of fun for me. It was a very creative piece with nice story line and you can't deny the immersive music. It would be really nice to have a new updated version of this game.

-- cheers--

-sf-

Crimson Skies still works very well on Windows 10 - I have in on my PC right now.  Lots of fun.

As for a "new version" of it, well...    It does so happen that I'm working on it.... Well, something somewhat similar, style-wise at least.  But more an open-world flight simulator instead.  Definitely lots of CS inspiration went to it.   The concept can be basically described as "Crimson Skies meets Kerbal Space Program".

Should have something in (very) early access stage within a few months now - Hang in there. :salute:

Am I the oldest to post here yet?

Not to mention the next one where I could fly missions over Kola and land at Bardufoss!

• Upvote 1

The oldest real sim I flew was Falcon 3.0 on a 286 with a B&W screen and no sound. Then on a 386 and then a 486. That was high-tech!

Flew Janes WWII Fighters for years. Great community back in the day.

1 hour ago, Sig_NOR said:

Am I the oldest to post here yet?

Not to mention the next one where I could fly missions over Kola and land at Bardufoss!

Holy crappers! Lol...Commodore 64 with Gunship! Damn that display beats everything out there...and, ironically, at the time was right up to par with anything else - if indeed there was anything?  This is going back some! Was there anything else around?

C64 Gunship was afaik the very first "realistic" combat sim of the 80s. There was a Flight Simulator already, vector based and all. But the Gunship was a game changer. It came in a box with 2 floppies and a whole bible's worth of instructions.

22 minutes ago, Sig_NOR said:

C64 Gunship was afaik the very first "realistic" combat sim of the 80s. There was a Flight Simulator already, vector based and all. But the Gunship was a game changer. It came in a box with 2 floppies and a whole bible's worth of instructions.

lol...floppy disks. My dad had an older PC and he kept all his files on floppy disks right up until the time he passed away (I wasn’t aware they even made them anymore). I kept trying to tell him a little USB stick could hold more than all the floppies he had stacked on his desk and take up far less room to boot (little pun there). Nope. Do you still have the game copy or is that long gone like my previous titles?

15 hours ago, catchov said:

Well BornToBattle, it's like this see, the weather here is shit hot with fires burning along much of the east coast of this country with smoke everywhere. Persistent strong westerlies for months. No rain. Dust everywhere. It's a bad drought man and I wish I was somewhere else like over the rainbow or Minnesota or something. My favourite colour is …. oh what the heck why should I tell anyone what it is. I'm too bashful. Musically, I've always liked "a whole lotta love" when I can get it and of course walks along the beach and playing guitar. Doesn't everyone.

I was a late starter to flight sims getting into it in the mid naughties. Dang it man! I was married with kids and a mortgage for Christ sake and working my guts out. I just didn't have the friggin' time! …. whoa calm down man …. [deeeeep breath] ….. [ommmmm …. ommmmm]. Think of vegetables.:(

Anyway, Crimson Skies was always a hoot.

Ah geez catchov, sorry. Now that we moved here the state had been closed to all those wishing to navigate their way to the North Star State! We moved here from the dusty deserts of Tucson, Arizona 3 years ago. We constantly hit the 90’s within March usually. It only ramped up from there for the rest of the year. It went from “hot” to what I always called “stupid hot.” The weather forecaster was always like...

”Monday, sunny and a high of 101. Tuesday sunny and a high of 102. Wednesday sunny and a high of 102 again, Thursday look for a change in the weather with sunny and a high of 110.”

And wait a minute...no friggin’ time to flight sim because of real life???? Flight sims ARE real life! Everything takes a back seat to that you know! Well, except the kids. And the wifey. Oh, yeah, those honey do’s are always there too cuz as we married men know “If momma ain’t happy ain’t nobody happy.” And pets, namely dogs. Taking care of the vehicles. Appointments. They require time too. Almost forgot, those who work to put veggies on the table too.That’s maybe 40 hours there. Oh then there’s...never-mind.

I see your point.

Edited by BornToBattle

10 hours ago, 19//Moach said:

Crimson Skies still works very well on Windows 10 - I have in on my PC right now.  Lots of fun.

As for a "new version" of it, well...    It does so happen that I'm working on it.... Well, something somewhat similar, style-wise at least.  But more an open-world flight simulator instead.  Definitely lots of CS inspiration went to it.   The concept can be basically described as "Crimson Skies meets Kerbal Space Program".

Should have something in (very) early access stage within a few months now - Hang in there. :salute:

Thanks for the info Moach !!! Looking forward to hearing on your progress with your " CS inspiration project ". I just googled Crimson Skies with Win 10 and will be downloading and patching

tomorrow---- cannot wait !!!

cheers--sf--

On 12/18/2019 at 12:45 PM, CanadaOne said:

The oldest real sim I flew was Falcon 3.0 on a 286 with a B&W screen and no sound. Then on a 386 and then a 486. That was high-tech!

Flew Janes WWII Fighters for years. Great community back in the day.

Black and white monitor and with no sound??? Man, talk about having to use your imagination! Funny though, most likely in 40 years kids will be playing the latest high tech gizmos and looking at what we currently have and saying the same kind of stuff...

Person 1: ”Geez...look at flight sims back then and gaming in general. They were still even using virtual reality back then too.”

Person 2: “Don't my dad know it! He still has one of his old machines in the attic somewheres that has the old Intel i20 chipset in it. I’m thinking of selling it on eBay.”

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Upvote 1

On 12/19/2019 at 5:26 AM, 19//Moach said:

As for a "new version" of it, well...    It does so happen that I'm working on it.... 

Nice!  Please keep us posted Moach.

On 12/19/2019 at 7:03 AM, BornToBattle said:

Ah geez catchov, sorry. Now that we moved here the state had been closed to all those wishing to navigate their way to the North Star State! We moved here from the dusty deserts of Tucson, Arizona 3 years ago. We constantly hit the 90’s within March usually. It only ramped up from there for the rest of the year. It went from “hot” to what I always called “stupid hot.” The weather forecaster was always like...

”Monday, sunny and a high of 101. Tuesday sunny and a high of 102. Wednesday sunny and a high of 102 again, Thursday look for a change in the weather with sunny and a high of 110.”

And wait a minute...no friggin’ time to flight sim because of real life???? Flight sims ARE real life! Everything takes a back seat to that you know! Well, except the kids. And the wifey. Oh, yeah, those honey do’s are always there too cuz as we married men know “If momma ain’t happy ain’t nobody happy.” And pets, namely dogs. Taking care of the vehicles. Appointments. They require time too. Almost forgot, those who work to put veggies on the table too.That’s maybe 40 hours there. Oh then there’s...never-mind.

I see your point.

Minnesota that's where "Fargo" was set wasn't it? I loved the TV series. What's it like up there in summer?  Looks too cold for me in winter. And as for  “If momma ain’t happy ain’t nobody happy",  well I had to LOL on that one. And with  "Oh then there’s...never-mind." The inserted answer should be "overtime and weekend standby." ;) 

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2019 at 7:56 PM, Sig_NOR said:

Floppies? Hah! Sheer luxury!The Amstrad CPC 464 games I mentioned earlier came on cassette tapes. Came out before C64 Gunship, too.

45 minutes ago, Leon_Portier said:

Huh, I wonder how that works.

Each plane was a book with different views from the cockpit. You select a page and then I try and counter by selecting a page that would lead to a firing solution. Could keep going for quite a while and it's been ages (late seventies) since I played. Sold it off to a collector a couple of years ago.

On 12/20/2019 at 3:59 AM, AndyJWest said:

Floppies? Hah! Sheer luxury!The Amstrad CPC 464 games I mentioned earlier came on cassette tapes. Came out before C64 Gunship, too.

You English and your Amstrads and your Sprectrums… ;)

On 12/20/2019 at 2:59 AM, AndyJWest said:

Cassette tapes? Hah! 😉 

I remember the days of the sinclair zx 80 designed in the late 70's with it's whole 1kb of memory (upgradable with an expansion to 16kb) and where with no means of permantly storing data things like games/software were sold as paper booklets of printed code for you to manually copy type into the computer each time you wanted to run them. Then after all day of typing up the code you had a pitifully inept game that didn't really do anything more than move a dot from side to side across the screen... but we were easily impressed back then!

Edited by HappyHaddock

On 12/20/2019 at 4:51 AM, No_85_Gramps said:

How about "flip book" air combat?

849337771_oldschoolwwi.thumb.jpg.d2e60fc164b3214aaf3c8b9e047747ae.jpg

Now that’s a completely different approach! Interesting concept.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:59 PM, AndyJWest said:

494F36FF-A334-4CB5-A6DF-F7F504955B9B.jpeg

3 hours ago, HappyHaddock said:

Cassette tapes? Hah! 😉 

I remember the days of the sinclair zx 80 designed in the late 70's with it's whole 1kb of memory (upgradable with an expansion to 16kb) and where with no means of permantly storing data things like games/software were sold as paper booklets of printed code for you to manually copy type into the computer each time you wanted to run them. Then after all day of typing up the code you had a pitifully inept game that didn't really do anything more than move a dot from side to side across the screen... but we were easily impressed back then!

Sinclair zx 80...from across the pond...

90753401-FB84-4A35-88F9-C49B01E7F809.jpeg

Edited by BornToBattle

On 12/17/2019 at 9:47 PM, Notclear said:

I've discovered simulation and more generally warplane world with Hellcat and his extension Leyte Gulf on Mac in 1992.

Hellcat.PNG.5bb90f041b1200be528db8b694333615.PNG

This game was really great, I played it late, and sure I will have a lot of pleasure to play it again today.

It's by far the game that marked me the most.

I see you fly with ultra cloud settings

• Haha 1

Does anybody recall at all a flight sim but played with cutout radius curves and rulers? It was played on the floor/table. My brother and I played it quite a bit for a short time. Trying to search for it on the web but no luck thus far. I don’t remember much more than that though. I’ll keep digging. 

2 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I see you fly with ultra cloud settings

And that banded graphics horizon. Just think as to when that was and how long it has been and some sims were STILL coping with that same graphics issue!

My first encounter on flight sim was in 1980. In a arcade gane hall. They had a ww1 first person “flightsim” with a proper stick. The graphics was simply blue lines in black background. But you sat in the pit and shot down zeppelins and ac. 
First pc sim was in my  pentium 486 and a p51 with pretty good graphics for its time 1996.  
Then IL 2 came. It changed it all and set the demand for my pc ever after. Coupeled with 

Microsoft CFS it kept me going all these years

18 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

My first encounter on flight sim was in 1980. In a arcade gane hall. They had a ww1 first person “flightsim” with a proper stick. The graphics was simply blue lines in black background. But you sat in the pit and shot down zeppelins and ac. 
First pc sim was in my  pentium 486 and a p51 with pretty good graphics for its time 1996.  
Then IL 2 came. It changed it all and set the demand for my pc ever after. Coupeled with 

Microsoft CFS it kept me going all these years

Oh man that Microsoft CFS 2 kept me going for quite a while with all the mods I had for it. I think at the time...hmm...might have been running it on my very first homemade rig. Geez, how I wish I would have kept that thing now. I don’t recall the processor bit it was a clear acrylic case and had it modded out with blue LED lights lol. Kick myself now but of course at the time I just took the whole thing out to the trash and in the dumpster it went.

Well, I think this is the earliest “flight sim”  I could find being run on a computer.

The year goes all the way back to 1970 and run on a 1967 machine I believe. Also managed to find a video of it. You’ll have to use your imagination on this one though. And with all those graphics churning away (lol) the FPS still ran like a slide show but hell at the time it beat everything else out there - only because there wasn’t anything else out there. How far we’ve come...

Oh man, it’s actually almost too painful to watch. I think I would have been better off enjoying a good old fashioned game of lawn darts. 

D6C65BF2-9FDE-4222-9F71-05107E4D0072.jpeg

Edited by BornToBattle

Nice topic!

My first flight game was some ww1 game on Nintendo but cant remember it name.

After that PS1 Ace Combat / Air Combat. What a game that was after Super Nintendo games.

Then I got pc and my grandfather got me three Janes games at once with Logitech joystick, F15, Longbow 2 and my favourite of them WW2 Figters. Still remember that day! It was amazing. Also played FS98 back then. After that I got Microsoft Combat fligt simulator and more Microsoft Flight simulators. Il2. B17... Great games.

I really liked Janes USAF too. Easy to play without too complicated systems or flight models. Easy and FUN to play. I am seriously thinking to get Ace Combat 7, it looks so fun.

Now I am playing Il2 series and waiting FS2020.

I played Air Warrior on AOL online with dial up. It still had features we haven't seen in a modern sim except maybe WW2 Online. Over 100-200 people online in one game, base capturing, strategic bombing. So much fun!

I remember loading up a B-17 with like 8-10 players and taking off from a back base and going on a long range bombing run to destroy the Spit Factory which took out the Teams access to flying Spits. So cool!

• Haha 1

My first flight sim ever was Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002. And I remember to this day, the first plane I picked was the Beechcraft Baron 58 from the default Meigs airport, and I thought the artificial horizon was some sort of altitude indicator, so I pulled up and up and crashed. 😄

I've played sims since I was 5 pretty much.

51W6MM7FG3L._SX342_.jpg        51zEOL5T87L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg       220px-Janes_attack_squadron.jpg    220px-Combat_Flight_Simulator_3_-_Battle_for_Europe_Coverart.jpg  

3826-15144.jpg   51YCQFGMSVL.jpg  140083484d.jpg  220px-IL-2_Sturmovik_1946_Box_art.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

My collection.. 

DSC_0662.JPG

I wish we could have HIND as it was but with new technology - such a great helicopter sim for its time!

I played and liked almost all those mentioned.  I especially liked the solo Avalon Hill board game "B17 Queen of the Skies."  I first encountered computer games on the Atari ST platform; The Intel PCs were at first too feeble.  It was completely new and very exciting.  The first time I grasped the old WICO Bat-Handle joystick and banked I actually got airsick.

WICO.thumb.jpg.113da67f9fb85a2e5645aa55ed89797c.jpg

This is how we did it in 1966:

1966.thumb.jpg.568ad32c02c36ce5aedcfa11251655d1.jpg

I really need them to get on that Pacific Theater pretty soon.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

For me the very first "flight simming" experience was this:

AC1.thumb.jpg.b56c35f01f9f2edb708a1494c1d115b6.jpgAC2.thumb.jpg.5813fc3fa2285b153a724dc1510cc90d.jpg

"Air Combat" - Soviet arcade machine:) It had scrolling foggy background and three enemy fighters (looking like US Navy's F-11 Tiger), which moved around the screen. The player had to shoot all three down within a time limit, by dragging a crosshairs over them via control stick and firing. Was quite fun back then:)

As for "real" PC flight sims, my first were European Air War and Jane's WWII Fighters. But that's no memory lane for me, it's present reality - I still enjoy those from time to time. As well as Red Baron 3D, Mig Alley, CFS 1-2, etc. Making those to work is my first priority after every PC upgrade:)

603932475_190victorious.thumb.jpg.8647af43fb6a02b72cdc25397d480c82.jpg934414268_spit109.thumb.jpg.2f1110937ae57b303774770ee00acc19.jpg937196106_Wurgersvictim.thumb.jpg.107540e71d4171532617ec5cbad4b7ca.jpg

Edited by Dornil
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1