6FG_Kameniev

T-Flight HOTAS X Joystick Key Mapping

Hi all, already posted this to Reddit so you may have seen it already, but this is my (now-updated) joystick mapping for the T-Flight HOTAS X - a fairly common entry-level stick. This is actually the third version I've created since submitting the reddit post, but the previous blurb still applies: 

I'm posting this for a few reasons. Number one was I wish someone had done one of these when I first started flying as it would have saved me a lot of time trialling and erring! I also think it's been a really useful exercise personally, seeing how some of my controls are mapped out diagrammatically, as these have evolved over time - a process that doesn't always lead to the most logical setups.

I'd also really like other people's opinions on my setup. It strikes me that it's such an important part of flying that, at least for sticks that aren't the T16000, doesn't get much attention.

There are a few blanks and a couple of keys I've forgotten but I think everything important is here. If there are any binds you think are essential let me know! Like I said, this in itself has been a learning process (that I highly recommend) and I'm already going to make a few improvements when I get home.

I highly recommend doing this yourself, and I hope it helps people like me just starting out!

image.thumb.png.3460fc1934d3d1451a0075e94e9a61ee.png

N.B. Black text is the default input. Coloured text corresponds to the 'modifiers' in solid-colour boxes and have the effect of "L Alt + Button 2" (which = toggle bombsight). I use Joy2Key to set these modifiers, and I also have DelanClip/Opentrack headtracking for all my camera movements.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

OK, so as requested and promised elsewhere, here's my current.actions and current.map files (open with a text editor to see the bindings, or I guess just replace yours in data/input/ but make a backup of the existing current.map as I don't know if it might break things).

FYI I wouldn't recommend using these files if you don't have exactly this joystick, AND, I use a program called JoyToKey (v6) to bind the four buttons down the throttle such that it makes the game thing I'm pressing LCtrl, LShift, LAlt, and RAlt in descending order. This control scheme will not work without that.

Files here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnVhhaMTKrPwkEH03-kr6IVVnqqy?e=HaDWBq

Hey, quick question for importing the controls. I've done that and I've also got joy2key set up with all the controls being put to how they are on the joystick. Yet for some reason whenever I try to use them like how they're setup its a completely different control setup with none of them working. We have the same joystick so I don't know why it isn't working but it's very troubling.

Thanks for the joystick setup either way though!

On 2/23/2020 at 11:19 PM, PotroastBuckett said:

Hey, quick question for importing the controls. I've done that and I've also got joy2key set up with all the controls being put to how they are on the joystick. Yet for some reason whenever I try to use them like how they're setup its a completely different control setup with none of them working. We have the same joystick so I don't know why it isn't working but it's very troubling.

Thanks for the joystick setup either way though!

Hi, sorry I don't know what could be causing that I'm afraid.... Is the game detecting the right joystick? Is it called the same thing in the config file? I've never tried importing controls so don't really know the ins and outs of it... 

I think I know whats wrong with it.. It's not that your controls or IL-2 is wrong it's just that my joystick buttons are different. As an example, the fire all guns button which is usually button 0 is for me at least, is button 5. I'm probably going to have to put it in manually.

Edited by PotroastBuckett

Hi there,

On my new Windows 10 machine (AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,TUF B450-PLUS, GeForce RTX 2070S)I used old Thrustmaster Flight HOTAS X. I installed Thrustmaster 2018_FFD_2.exe drivers without much success -  the HOTAS X still uses Microsoft driver '10.0.18362.175' of 2006. However I can calibrate my HOTAS X and even "fly" an old Microsoft FS.

Problems start in Steam:

In Steam>Settings>Controller>General Settings with all options unchecked I can see "Available Controllers" -  'T.Flight HOTAS X'. While selecting it I got something like XBox control panel. I cannot check HOTAS axes and buttons assignment there.

While I'm using 'Big Picture' setting mode I got "No controller connected. Please, connect to configurate".

I've contacted Thrustmaster helpdesk. They advised me to do pretty the same things I've already done.

Many thanks for any advice yuo may share.

15 hours ago, Shadow11 said:

Hi there,

On my new Windows 10 machine (AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,TUF B450-PLUS, GeForce RTX 2070S)I used old Thrustmaster Flight HOTAS X. I installed Thrustmaster 2018_FFD_2.exe drivers without much success -  the HOTAS X still uses Microsoft driver '10.0.18362.175' of 2006. However I can calibrate my HOTAS X and even "fly" an old Microsoft FS.

Problems start in Steam:

In Steam>Settings>Controller>General Settings with all options unchecked I can see "Available Controllers" -  'T.Flight HOTAS X'. While selecting it I got something like XBox control panel. I cannot check HOTAS axes and buttons assignment there.

While I'm using 'Big Picture' setting mode I got "No controller connected. Please, connect to configurate".

I've contacted Thrustmaster helpdesk. They advised me to do pretty the same things I've already done.

Many thanks for any advice yuo may share.

Sorry I have no idea how to help you there. I don't think I ever installed a driver for my HOTAS X though. 

Hi, how can I find my hota x in the game , I can only see the mouse keyboard and Xbox joypad option....

19 hours ago, Tomlee9394 said:

Hi, how can I find my hota x in the game , I can only see the mouse keyboard and Xbox joypad option....

IL-2:GB game series don't have joysticks pre-assigned in controls, you need assign axes/buttons manually.