LLv24_Veccu

Back & head armor FW190

Hi

It seems that Fw190 rear armor needs to be fixed, all back and head armored 12,7 mm and 19 mm armorplates in Fw190 should protect better from fire behind. Headshots behind are now quite common cause of death for Fw190 pilots and that it seems not to be accurate. Here very nice topic I found from another forum by Jaakariliike. According to British and Russian investigations, Fw190 pilot was very well protected from rear.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/150789-fw-190-armor-some-documentation/

-veccu-

• Upvote 5

Pilot kills are 80% of the kills on the game hehehe. Flying 190 you know if you are hit you are death. 

On the other hand I find the test quite curious regarding the 50cal. The head armor plate is quite thin to stop a 50 cal round that can penetrate abot 25mm Steel plate. 109s were better protected on the rear than 190s

• Upvote 2

On 12/17/2019 at 6:34 PM, Ruthless_Killer said:

Those numbers are incorrect. Standard Fw-190A has 12mm armored headrest and 8mm armored seat, 5mm shoulder armor plate and 5mm side plates. 

That test doesn't mention at what range they shot at the Fw-190 or how many rounds they fired or if they used multiple guns of the same type and fired at convergence. I presume they only used a single gun of each type when doing these tests.

Compare that to 6 or 8 .50cals or 4x20mm cannons firing a good burst at convergence at 200-300m. 50 cal AP rounds penetrate ~25mm at those ranges, so the Fw-190's 12mm armored headrest and 13mm seat/shoulder armor aren't gonna help you much. 

Also, I have to say that the guy who made that post you linked came to a....slightly weird conclusion: " This would mean that even with HE-SAPI 20mm rounds, the Fw-190 should have a very low chance of being downed by less than a dozen hits. And an essentially zero percent chance of being shot down by US .50 cals" Apparently he thinks that Fw-190s should be immune to .50 cal bullets lol. ~5000 axis aircraft shot down by P-51s in the ETO/MTO disagree with that statement. 😎 

Well, then Authors of book FW190 vs La5/7 bublishers Dmitriy Khazanov and Alexander Medved must be wrong... 😲

https://www.amazon.co.uk/5-Fw-190-Eastern-1942-45/dp/1849084734

image.thumb.png.8b8a8ab7bca9202f6314542771d6618e.png

And "50 cal AP rounds penetrate ~25mm at those ranges", have to see it to believe it, especially 200 m.

-Veccu-

Edited by LLv24_Veccu

52 minutes ago, Ruthless_Killer said:

yup, also taking that chart you can estimate at which angle the 190 headrest 12mm would deflect a .50 cal

unknown.png

At around 220 yards (200 meters) for the .50 cal AP M2 round fired by the 36 inch barrel AN/M2 .50 cal found in US fighter aircraft to not penetrate reliably a 0.47 inch (12mm) plate it would need to impact it over a 42/43º angle. So the red area is the vulnerable zone within +/- 42º from the headrest armor plate at 200 meters (6 o' clock ofc).

unknown.png

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

Wow^^ that is very interesting compared to what we see happening in the sim.

I really think the devs should look into it.

I die pretty much only to pilot killed, usually instantly ofte from far away.

The FW pilot was well protected from behind, that's a well know fact, yet ingame it's the absolute opposite.  Whether the hitbox is wrong, or the armor, I don't know, but it make no sense.

I'd be willing to bet you'll die more of pilot snipe in a FW that in anything else...

It's not a single occurrence it's almost every time.

Edited by Turban
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2