-=PHX=-cocho

Dark future for IL_2?

Honestly I am very disgusted by the changes the simulator is going through.
Among the failures reported by all the players, how badly the BOS uses the resources of the PC and the response of the developers I am thinking more and more about giving it up.
The truth is a shame since I love the simulator, but the truth is that the frustration is stronger.
The change of sight ranges are horrendous.
I can't find logic to see contacts at 40k and you can't see a plane at 5-3k.
It is also not realistic since an average person with clear skies and in ideal conditions sees up to 20k not 40k ..
I myself in a day with clouds that covered the sun, being 300 meters high I could see a plane 7-8k away, which is more similar to what was initially implemented.
The recognition is disastrous!
Real pilots with the best visual recognition averages made it up to a maximum of 10-11k.
While on the TAW server, it happened twice to me that about 109 came in from behind and I could only see them when they were 150 meters away. The worst part is that I was always looking back and making 45 degree warps.
If we add to this that it is almost impossible to follow a partner because if you look a second to another place you lose it, the simulator becomes unplayable!
The planes disappear in the clouds, if you have them from five to eight the wings look as if they "dance" similar to what the clouds do and you can only see the fuselage.
The optimization of BOS is very bad.
It frustrates me a lot that if I have a machine a little above the recommended one, I can't play 144 fps sustained.
Since the graphics are not configured in ultra and if in high, without shadows, without mirrors, grass in normal, without HDR, without SSAO, and with the cpu at 26% and gpu at 40% when I am grounded.
Those who saw my previous post already know.
On average I lose 50% of my machine's power for reasons that I assign to a bad optimization.
It does not seem to me that it is a matter of saturation of threads of the cores since in none of the six it reaches 100% of work.
This only happens with the Bos, in other games and benchmarcks cpu and gpu go to 100% work.
The truth all these problems tire me and are pulling me away from the simulator.
Also, when one pays for the game or expansion, a percentage is not discounted for bugs or failures for the time it takes to fix them, all the money is put on.
I am so dissatisfied that I am not going to buy anything new, expansion or airplanes until I notice a change, since I only see work for what leaves money in the future and not in bug fixes.
This post is not an attack against the people who develop the game, I am aware that it is a giant job.
But if I defend my investment and it is a way of making my dislike as a customer and consumer of a product.
Greetings cocho

Edited by -=PHX=-cocho
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 13

Well, the same thing happens to me, I'm flying with my head crooked from behind and I see the plane when you're already 200 meters away from airplanes or planes to which the antiaircraft throws and there is nothing about 500 meters away It is impossible to use the sim in these conditions

Edited by Rudull

I disagree.  Not talking about alternative visibility,  that's a weird thing and I don't  like  servers with that on. Apart from that on my 1440p screen I can see planes at least a couple of kilometers away. Doesn't mean  I always do see them. But if I don't its simply because I did not scan carefully  enough. They definitely  do not pop in at a couple of hundreds of meters. Maybe something with your eyes, your monitor,  or your settings.

• Upvote 1

Hi Nocke, how are you?
I do not speak of alternative visibility, what I ask is what we originally had before the 40k update.
I tell you that before the mensioned update I had an S.A. All in all, I knew where each of my classmates was, it didn't matter if we were two or six.
This loss of visual was not gradual, so I do not think it is a problem of mine, also you do not have to make a lot of force to hear other pilots complain about the same.
Whoever has flown with me a couple of times can tell you if I exaggerate or not.
I could identify and know 100% what kind of plane I saw at 10k, it was very difficult for enemies to catch me by surprise.
I still don't wear glasses and I can identify birds flying 100 meters in the field.
My monitor is a 24 "144Hz at 1920x1080.
Cheers

Indeed the interesting part of this is that it seems to be a very different experience for different  people.

But give it a try: Record your flights. Whenever you think someone popped up close to you, check the recording, perhaps with icons on. In my experience in most cases you will realise you could have seen  him perfectly long time before.

We get constantly cheated by our brain, most of the stuff we believe to see is just being made up because of lack of processing power ...

Anyways I just realise we are mixing two aspects. The original posts above  were about planes showing only at close distance, you are talking about seeing them but not being able to identify them. I referred to the first aspect.

7 minutes ago, No.322_Nocke said:

Indeed the interesting part of this is that it seems to be a very different experience for different  people.

But give it a try: Record your flights. Whenever you think someone popped up close to you, check the recording, perhaps with icons on. In my experience in most cases you will realise you could have seen  him perfectly long time before.

We get constantly cheated by our brain, most of the stuff we believe to see is just being made up because of lack of processing power ...

Anyways I just realise we are mixing two aspects. The original posts above  were about planes showing only at close distance, you are talking about seeing them but not being able to identify them. I referred to the first aspect.

I have seen videos and tracks other people have posted to this effect, where they are, for example, watching a formation of 2 bombers at 1km or so, and then a third bomber pops in the next second. And it is often very hard to re-aquire planes if you look away, moreso than in real life. There is a known bug where allied BoBP planes, for example, appear shinier at middle distances while axis planes do not, and another bug with the contrast of planes changing abruptly as they close distance or as you zoom in and out, etc. 

Personally, I don't think this is anything 'fundamental' with the visibility system as designed in Il-2, but a collection of visibility bugs introduced with the new viewing system, and problems with how it handles rendering.  

That being said, I am in the habit of re-watching recordings of some of my fights and have absolutely noticed planes in the video that were not present before, quite often. When you are just watching and not focusing on flying the aircraft you can often spot things you wouldn't. Its why when you're driving in a rural area, a passenger often spots an animal near the road before the driver does, their senses are 'free'.

The online microstutters and performance hits are extremely frustrating and those are completely hit and miss. Some people get them, some do not, sometimes people who haven't gotten them before suddenly start getting them after a patch. It seems to completely ignore your hardware's performance. I half suspect its related to wonky windows updates, since that has a history of screwing random things up on my machine at least.

In any case as far as the aircraft visibility goes, there was a thread on the Russian forum by Petrovich amassing user reports to find avenues for investigation, and he said he would be looking into it in the new year to find solutions. From what I could tell with Google translate the users over there put forth evidence for all the common issues we are having as well as some I hadn't noticed. So I suspect we may see some improvements coming in the first quarter of 2020. Not very reassuring in terms of timelines, I know, but at least we know they are aware of the issue and devoting some resources to it.

5 hours ago, -=PHX=-cocho said:

Also, when one pays for the game or expansion, a percentage is not discounted for bugs or failures for the time it takes to fix them, all the money is put on.
I am so dissatisfied that I am not going to buy anything new, expansion or airplanes until I notice a change, since I only see work for what leaves money in the future and not in bug fixes.

Exactly what I'm thinking these days. I own most of the franchise, yet suddenly I cannot play what I bought it for, because... actually I don't know why, they don't care to communicate at all. 😞 

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

There is a known bug where allied BoBP planes, for example, appear shinier at middle distances while axis planes do not, and another bug with the contrast of planes changing abruptly as they close distance or as you zoom in and out, etc

But this is with the "alternative visibility ". I was explicitly not talking about that, I consider that a failed intent to please people complaining about spotting difficulties. 

3 hours ago, -=PHX=-cocho said:

My monitor is a 24 "144Hz at 1920x1080.

As a temporary fix, while you wait for the devs to find a solution, try setting your monitor and game to 1280 x 720. With that setting, I'm able to spot fighters at least 8 km away and the reduction in quality does not bother me that much. Of course this is not a great long-term solution, but it may allow you to enjoy the game while you wait for a fix.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, No.322_Nocke said:

But this is with the "alternative visibility ". I was explicitly not talking about that, I consider that a failed intent to please people complaining about spotting difficulties. 

Nope. Although I agree with you on alternate visibility, those are all bugs/problems I have seen video of from people running normal visibility, and a few (like the reflections issue) I have seen myself, and I run normal visibility as well. There are several threads about it. 

For example: Reflections vanishing from aircraft (please ignore the fact that the thread derails into a fight, first post is all you need to see it): 

And here is the bug about the brighter contrast for some allied planes:

I haven't personally noted planes just popping in out of nowhere but I have seen video of people flying on the same server as me showing this bug. 

Probably these bugs existed in Alt visibility too, since IMO the only difference between the two was exaggerated scaling and reflectivity at extended ranges. Some people think there is a fundamental difference between the two settings but I don't think that is really borne out by how quickly the hot fix brought us the currently used normal visibility.

Anyway, I'm hopeful these issues will see some work done in the new year. The 4.0003 update doesn't seem to address them so maybe we will see something in late January.

what happens to me a lot is the following:

Im flying in level flight, lets say 3K altitude, 450 km/h. Suddenly, by surprise and with no previous warning, I spot maybe 1 km below me, a gazillion of planes attacking each other. Am I that blind and my situational is that bad that I can't spot anything, and just notice planes by luck? 

23 hours ago, -=PHX=-cocho said:

Honestly I am very disgusted by the changes the simulator is going through.
Among the failures reported by all the players, how badly the BOS uses the resources of the PC and the response of the developers I am thinking more and more about giving it up.

Unfortunately one main core optimisation is the problem of nearly all current flight simulators, nothing specific to IL-2 serie, all it's competittion suffers the very same issue.

I guess all this simulators will evolve to use many cores/threads in following years - this will add huge jump in performace and ability to simulate many more things like advanced weather, big amount of AI planes, even more detailed flight physics, high intensity ground combat below etc.

Edited by Bies

2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

I have seen ships pop up or vanish depending on zoom settings.

Not only ships. Many other ground objekts too. Especially dugouts.