Sign in to follow this  
[TWB]80hd

Multiplayer Options for Training, Etc

So, my wife has a TM Warthog, TrackIR, a frickin Index, mfing MFG Crosswinds... collected over the last several years but never really flying regularly, and so I am hoping to finally get her to really get into flight sims with Flying Circus...

Just wondering, before I throw another $150 out the door, what the options are for co-op or server options where taking off from a back-field and learning the ropes is acceptable...  Is there any multiplayer outside of dedicated servers?  I've only seen the one FC server, is it going to be cool if we get on there and take up server slots on a team while not yet participating in the battle?

Also, from a newbs perspective, how tough is it to learn FC out of the gate in VR?  She has the HOTAS as above, and a Saitek throttle quad, is there a lot of configuration needed? How difficult is engine management?  She's worried about not being able to see the keyboard, and I am hoping this will be an easier go of it before I try to get her to fly the WW2 stuff and DCS or whatever.  It wasn't too tough for me to make the TrackIR -> VR Conversion, but I have been flying for a long time.

Thanks in advance for the advice, already downloaded all the pertinent training material from the FAQ.

Can I have your wife?

There are several FC servers and some.of the WW2 training servers also have WW1 planes available.

Best for training and familiarity is the "Quick Mission" fight.

You could always joint the J5 server with her and go find the AI's.

Engine management is not too crazy. Just a radiator or mixture you have to mess with.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, US213_Talbot said:

Can I have your wife?

There are several FC servers and some.of the WW2 training servers also have WW1 planes available.

Best for training and familiarity is the "Quick Mission" fight.

You could always joint the J5 server with her and go find the AI's.

Engine management is not too crazy. Just a radiator or mixture you have to mess with.

If she doesn't pass her flight exam after a week or so, then I may have to offload her.  I will keep you posted!

Thank you for the heads up on the servers, I forgot about seeing the WW1 planes on some of the WW2 servers, that may be our best bet for now!  

Quick mission is SP only, right?  

We'll try the J5 server too!  Thank you!

I think I read somewhere that the misfits server is kind of a training server. To be honest I've not ventured outside of the JG1 server or J5 server, so there might be a bunch more with various options. 

Just know that some of them might not be listed with an easily identifiable FC title.

Oh, all the main FC servers are open to public for sure. So don't worry about taking space!

Yeah QM is SP.

Salute and look forward to shooting you and the missus out of your chutes!

Edited by US213_Talbot

1 minute ago, US213_Talbot said:

I think I read somewhere that the misfits server is kind of a training server. To be honest I've not ventured outside of the JG1 server or J5 server, so there might be a bunch more with various options. 

Just know that some of them might not be listed with an easily identifiable FC title.

correct but its now known as RAF NO.20 practice field  it is for training , all are welcomed

As mentioned, J5 Flugpark is gathering most players now around 19:00 GMT, sometimes earlier. During Saturdays and Sundays you can find people from 16:00 GMT onwards. Week days we see from 10 to 25 players, weekends from 30 to 50+ players depending when you login. Plus the irregular hours when we see a few people flying.

There is a Thursday event alternating on J5 and J99 (there is a post about the Thursday event with schedule).

There are the Mistifs (changed its name) and Zoo Wings. You can login and shoot some AIs.

Regarding training, J5, due to its size and mission oriented, don't require much training. She can get a good plane like a Fokker D7F and see where people are patrolling, tag along with other players or ask what's going on in the mission. Novices really have a hard time in furball servers, but not in missions. Or she can join a squadron, which requires team work, online meetings at given hours and such I suppose.

SE5as and Spads require some sharp veteran skills (one of the best planes to shoot down when flown by newbies) and Camels and Dr1s require a lot of muscle memory, skills and defensive maneuvers, then I think the D7F is the best option (fast, maneuverable). Or the D7 if the F version is not available. The other planes require team work or lots of flying hours to don’t become fodder, or you can fly a two-seater and let the gunner AI do its job.

And the planes are easy to manage. Like it was said, mixture, radiator and some rpm management in dives and such. The D7F has altitude throttle. She can train in quick mission for a while and then login in a server, this way it is a warm-up in a sense.

And people are always willing to help newbie’s, so fire away.

Edited by SeaW0lf
  • Like 1

Most frequented FC Great War server is by far Jasta 5s Flying Circus Flugpark.
Beside you’ll also find:
Jasta 99-FC
FC JG 1
However mentioned Misfits server has become “RAF NO20 practise” server now.
There also is the Zoo Wings server:

Whaterver FC MP mission you have visited is loaded in your data/muliplayer/dogfightserver and will come up for selection in the in game appliance “Create server” on the Multiplayer tab.
Just make sure to deselect “available from internet” and you’ll find yourself alone in the mission, mind there may be AI around;
If you have another pc hooked up behind your router with an other copy of the game running you can play together by intranet so without the trouble of forwarding ports.
Also a mouse suffices for setup for occupying the gun seat of a 2 seater.
Edited by West
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, West said:

Whaterver FC MP mission you have visited is loaded in your data/muliplayer/dogfightserver and will come up for selection in the in game appliance “Create server” on the Multiplayer tab.
Just make sure to deselect “available from internet” and you’ll find yourself alone in the mission, mind there may be AI around;
If you have another pc hooked up behind your router with an other copy of the game running you can play together by intranet so without the trouble of forwarding ports.
Also a mouse suffices for setup for occupying the gun seat of a 2 seater.

Awesome! We will try this out!

We flew F2Bs on the Flugpark last night, first run we got separated and I'll be damned if she didn't fly all the way to the bridge objective in the southeast and then make her own way all the way back to the field we flew out of!

After that we did another run at the arty and we both were terrible at dropping bombs, I think I hit 1 or 2 guns, killed one... on the way back we got bounced by I think a DVII and he and I tussled for a bit and I ended up with a shot into his chickenpit.  The guns on these birds do seem hyper-accurate to me, but maybe that's coming from the WW2 side of things and longer ranges?  I dunno.

She seemed to have a good time, still not super keen on getting her clock cleaned by other pilots, but hey life is rough... at least we don't have to eat trench food.

Thanks for all the help guys, I am definitely hooked!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Might let her team up with the Night Witches  LOL

This will make the boys even more yealous :good:

NO.20 is a Brisfit Squad, underneath you find an encounter with them I presume posted by Emely:

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:35 PM, emely said:

It is a pity that the chat does not write who you shot down, or who shot you down.  The two of us were attacked by four Bristol..

Edited by West
  • Like 1

Huh I actually don't remember this, What server was that? We haven't gone into Flugpark as a squad yet so if that's were it was then it ain't us. At least that I can remember, Or was it in Mistfits server? We do practice in there getting ready for the Thursday fly in. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

Huh I actually don't remember this ... 

Sorry, Emely unveiled the mystery and clarified it with the actual names of the pilots.
Victory chat messages are not communicated on the J5 which may stand for confusion.
Like you guys are the only Brisfit squad to date and you told that day to start functioning as one ...

Added in edit:
I did not want to name the pilots Emely finaly mentioned, but for sure NO.20 was not involved.
False deduction entirely on my part.
Just quoted this video here for example.
Edited by West

When was this? swear we never been in there as a squad. How many were there? looked like 3 or 4 bristfits.  we only have 2 named as 20th and 2 unnamed as of yet and only 2 that ever been in the j5 server together so sorry but that is so odd. Doesn't really matter to me just seems weird. If it was one of us then congrats to who it was that shot us down, won't happen again lol. 🤣