Sign in to follow this  
JG51_Moostafa

Server count

I know this is very much dependent on what time of day you're able to play, but for those of us who can fly during the peek times the server limitations on player count suck. It seems like 84 is limit right now, and I'm wondering if there is any work being done to bring this count up?

There are lots of on-line flight simulations that may not look as pretty as this one but who are just as advanced with physics and such pushing player counts well above 200.

I know as a primarily on-line multi player pilot I would be more than willing to pay a fee to help support some official multi player server that are run by the development team that can accommodate more than 84 pilots.   

From what i have seen over the years this is very dependent on the server.  If they include AI ground or air targets, then that reduces the number of possible players. All of this including the physics engine which is very cpu heavy leads to a limit to how much you can put into the game at the moment.  It may be possible to get more, but i think its a balancing act based off of how much you want to spend on your server.  You could get a server running 4 top of the line amd threadripper processors tons of fast ram you could probably be able to support higher numbers than that, but that is also very costly and that is a decision that each server owner needs to make.  What server can i afford, and how far can I push the one I have.  

Edited by zdog0331

What I gathered over the years from various server threads, the limits is mostly on the software end, with Dserver.

As in, for example Finnish used to have various moving ground targets and a ton of scripted mission logic to make things come to life and would regularly lock up, crash, freeze, stutter and whatever else you can imagine, while only using the tiniest fraction of the available resources. The software is in desperate need of an update/rework.

To be fair to the devs at this point also, it has been said multiple times that this is planned. For the BoBp update cycle IIRC, or that was the last time I saw it mentioned at least.

2 hours ago, wellenbrecher said:

What I gathered over the years from various server threads, the limits is mostly on the software end, with Dserver.

As in, for example Finnish used to have various moving ground targets and a ton of scripted mission logic to make things come to life and would regularly lock up, crash, freeze, stutter and whatever else you can imagine, while only using the tiniest fraction of the available resources. The software is in desperate need of an update/rework.

To be fair to the devs at this point also, it has been said multiple times that this is planned. For the BoBp update cycle IIRC, or that was the last time I saw it mentioned at least.

Yeah, there really isn't much point in expanding the server cap unless the software gets a big overhaul. If you get up to 200 players, you're realistically going to have 20 or 30 planes over every target area, and probably more like 50 or 60 over the popular ones. Throw in AI, flak, etc. there's no way the game can handle it right now.