Sign in to follow this  
200th_Taro

My Aviation Art

Hi all. I made these drawings in 2008 and 2009.

I was member of the 200th Sentai virtual squadron, established in Poland by 200th_Sakagawa and 200th_Nakano, I was a third member that joned that squadron in 2007.

At that time we spent many hours playing an old il-2 1946 sim.

Every one of us used historical skin on thier personal plane, so I drew every plane that my mates flew in the game,  that's why there is a lot of Ki-84's on the pictures. :)
But also pair of Hellcat's from VBF-12 virtual squadron and other planes.

Drawings were posted on ours squadron webpage,  which no longer exists, so I thought I will share them here, esspecialy for PTO fans  :)

Regards, 200th_Taro

Ej75rW4.jpg

fwTbi6X.jpg

cYlX4Qw.jpg

UZg2L4L.jpg

2Z5YvsG.jpg

P3LQxyk.jpg

NrfcSDk.jpg

38HKX9O.jpg

Nx3tbuG.jpg

sGp3J2E.jpg

tqsBxBQ.jpg

U366Cps.jpg

UTSAEWv.jpg

LjZxZYd.jpg

fkv3DsI.jpg

4eTz4bG.jpg

JXf2Qzo.jpg

xZZ78xg.jpg

k6SK5Ml.jpg

TjLUm6r.jpg

c8H9uYK.jpg

Edited by 200th_Taro
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 12

~S~ Taro !

It is wonderful to see that you are still around.  The Corsair with the Spartan symbol, number 23 was my aircraft that I flew on the 200th server when my tag was MCVG-2_Rhino.   Your art quality is fantastic.  I have always enjoyed your work and remember many of these images when you released them originally.  Great job Taro !

• Thanks 1

As a professional illustrator for many years (art school grad blah blah) I'd say you have a great base talent that will lend itself nicely to some further development/training if so desired.

A few of those pieces, especially the one with the guys look out from under the tent at taxiing aircraft have a sort of graphic novel quality that I quite like.

I'd say your style has a bit of a 'naive' quality to it, which isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes a bit of schooling can ruin that :) 

Even so one of the things that I always cue into when critiquing an illustration is when background elements are drawn in a way that makes them just as important as things in the foreground.

Thus the feeling of depth suffers quite a bit, especially when tangents occur (background elements 'touching'/intersecting foreground elements)

Just illustration 101 stuff really - but your work would improve and move up to another level if you dealt with both of these things.

That said I do like your work. You have a nice touch with human gesture as well, especially in the piece with the kids waving.

Keep it up.

• Thanks 1

That last drawing even has Eric Hartmann's ground crew as good models.

hartmann_flyby.jpg

Edited by CUJO_1970
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahh...I’ll withhold comment.

• Like 1

Hi Gambit,

This man is a professional.  He is a teacher and not a student in this arena.  I've always admired his work from years ago.

Neither here nor there with regards to my comments. ;)

Yes I have seen these before. Thanks for sharing. I love them. They blew me away then and it blow me away now. Fantastic pieces of art

• Like 1

Yeah, art and music and such I feel is a gift, which obviously you have. I used to draw (pen and ink). It’s just something you either have or you don’t. I tried making a go of it and fell flat on my face after a year or so. I’ve still got the drawings. Maybe I’ll post. They’re in my portfolio cases.

Don’t mean to hijack you topic tho.

14 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

Yeah, art and music and such I feel is a gift, which obviously you have. I used to draw (pen and ink). It’s just something you either have or you don’t.

I'd have to disagree with this part. It's a skill like anything else. Some people might have to work harder to achieve mastery but at the end of the day anyone can be great if they put in the work.

5 hours ago, Legioneod said:

I'd have to disagree with this part. It's a skill like anything else. Some people might have to work harder to achieve mastery but at the end of the day anyone can be great if they put in the work.

Now I regret my posting. It sounds as if I'm tooting my own horn, which I'm not.

I was just saying that some people seem to have a knack for certain things without any training whatsoever (yours truly excluded of course) while others struggle just to draw a straight line, as I do now. Any formal training further enhances what they had to begin with, hence my statement. Call it "the drive" or "genetic predisposition" I guess.

But I do respect your opinion.

I read online a while back an art professor who taught for over 40 years defined it as a 'learned skill." The problem is that I would venture to say that the vast majority who were in his classes most likely already had a desire and some skillsets in creating art and wanted to further them. They already had that inert drive to begin with. 

43 minutes ago, BornToBattle said:

Now I regret my posting. It sounds as if I'm tooting my own horn, which I'm not.

I didn't read it as if you were boating or anything. No reason to worry.🙂

43 minutes ago, BornToBattle said:

I was just saying that some people seem to have a knack for certain things without any training whatsoever (yours truly excluded of course) while others struggle just to draw a straight line, as I do now. Any formal training further enhances what they had to begin with, hence my statement. Call it "the drive" or "genetic predisposition" I guess.

But I do respect your opinion.

I read online a while back an art professor who taught for over 40 years defined it as a 'learned skill." The problem is that I would venture to say that the vast majority who were in his classes most likely already had a desire and some skillsets in creating art and wanted to further them. They already had that inert drive to begin with. 

I will agree in part that some people do have a natural desire to do certain things but imo it doesn't give them any more "talent" than the next person. Someone who likes doing something will most certainly be better at it than someone who doesn't (most of the time.) This is because of the simple fact that the person who likes to do it will probably do it alot more and therefore get alot more practice/skill vs someone who doesn't like to do it. Practice makes perfect and this is no different with art.

Michelangelo said it best,  "If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." 

Art or any other skill is hard work and it takes alot of time and effort to get good at it.

4 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

I didn't read it as if you were boating or anything. No reason to worry.🙂

I will agree in part that some people do have a natural desire to do certain things but imo it doesn't give them any more "talent" than the next person. Someone who likes doing something will most certainly be better at it than someone who doesn't (most of the time.) This is because of the simple fact that the person who likes to do it will probably do it alot more and therefore get alot more practice/skill vs someone who doesn't like to do it. Practice makes perfect and this is no different with art.

Michelangelo said it best,  "If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." 

Art or any other skill is hard work and it takes alot of time and effort to get good at it.

Looks like somehow we came full circle. I guess that’s what I was trying to say but came out rather bluntly.

I’d love to get back and finish some line drawing I had started but since 2014 don’t think that’ll be happening now. Such is life. At least I got a few dozen done before then.

Let’s crack open some cold ones! The drinks are on me!!!  🍺

Very nice!

I've always been amazed how some people can draw and some can't. I can't, and thus perhaps why I'm amazed some can.

I'd be happy to put one of those up on the wall.

I definitely miss those days of tangling with you guys in the Okinawa server... such a good time. Even to this day we appreciate the pair of Hellcats you drew for our squad. Such great work

• Like 1