JohnBrownStan

Is the P-39 a plane?

32 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

No, the reason was it would depart easily when mishandled. IIRC Yeager and Hoover liked it.

Also the P-38's glass controls are a bit oversensitive. When I'm shot down, I'm usually (like 9 out of 10 times) knocked out with the first hit, killing the controls and the aircraft breaking apart.

It's a bit overdone and kind of kills the P-38 online.

I agree, I find the P 38 pretty good until fired upon. It simulate pretty well all characteristics I read about it from a pilots point of view. 
The way it break up is pretty repeating too. 
If I was a conspiracy believer, I would have believed that US planes are victims of some racial mocking. Their DM do not hold water. 
While Russian planes DM is more believable in general. Even with the wings breaking off the IL 2 taken to account

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 9:41 PM, smink1701 said:

The real question is, is the P47 really a B17 because it flies that way!

Ah, stop loading that p47 down with fuel you won't use.

She can dance if set up for it or she can fly very long sorties with a lot of things bolted on to her.  Can't do both at the same time though.

The P40 and P39 Alison Engine limits might be precious but both planes can be flown exceptionally well in their respective theaters against their adversarial peers.

Love many of the planes in this sim - different yet with their own characteristics that bring smiles to ones faces.  With the right settings in VR - this sim is magic.  I can't wait for more GPU horsepower and development of the sim to take advantage of multicore CPU's - bring more magic to the table and surround me in flying - hmm how to describe - heaven and hell at the same time as I go gaga at the visuals and panic at the bullets and planes flying around me.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, blitze said:

describe - heaven and hell at the same time as I go gaga at the visuals and panic at the bullets and planes flying around me.

It is a smmmmoooooth beautiful VR expirience 

• Upvote 1

On 12/25/2019 at 9:31 AM, BlitzPig_EL said:

As originally specified, the P39 was intended to be a high altitude bomber interceptor, hence it's heavy cannon, however, the P38 had priority on turbocharger use, so the turbo was deleted from the P39 design, which put the Airacobra into a place it was not meant for, a medium to low altitude fighter.

Imagine the P39 with 500 more BHP available.

The Wiki page on the P-39 states that the turbocharger was removed in favor of a supercharger because of difficulties in placing the turbocharger ducting and cooling. The original prototypes had it, but they found it produced "too much drag"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_P-39_Airacobra

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

No, the reason was it would depart easily when mishandled. IIRC Yeager and Hoover liked it.

Also the P-38's glass controls are a bit oversensitive. When I'm shot down, I'm usually (like 9 out of 10 times) knocked out with the first hit, killing the controls and the aircraft breaking apart.

It's a bit overdone and kind of kills the P-38 online.

Robert Tuck -- an RAF Ace -- loved the P-39 according to his biography Fly For Your Life. He regarded it as superior to the spitfire when he flew it in the US in 1941. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I treid this plane nowadays but on military power (5min limit) with 100% opened radiators always got overheated....what am I doing wrong?

Edited by -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter

10 hours ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

I treid this plane nowadays but on military power (5min limit) with 100% opened radiators always got overheated....what am I doing wrong?

I think that early Cobra model had cooling problems that were solved since Q model, but I´m not 100% sure

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

You might have the mixture set wrong - It should remain at 66% for auto-rich operation.  You'll find that it then remains perfectly cool (even with half-shut radiators) in most situations up until the engine decides to abruptly rend itself apart, when its educational timer expires. (A Pavlovian reaction training device, no doubt)

Mind also, the '39 has separate shutters for the oil coolers and water radiator. (unlike the P40, which has them all packed together in its jaw) - Make sure both are open before placing the engine at the mercy of its integrated "death clock" (aka: throttling up a bit)

Another thing; This goes for most US-built planes of that era:

A Combat fuel load is typically 50% capacity.  This is because most of those planes were built for hauls far longer than we normally bother with in this game. 

The P40 specifically, has a third fuel tank behind the pilot seat which doubles the fuel capacity of the wing tanks when full. It also puts CoG so far back that the plane becomes awkwardly unstable, killing its "mojo" in a way that definitely impairs its fighting spirit.

I can't recall just off my head if the '39 also had such a tank. It certainly didn't have it behind the pilot, since that's where I found the engine, last I checked... 

Anyways, the P40 handles better with no fuel on the tail tank. (which you rarely need, since most targets we get are just over there past the river a bit)  - It doesn't really help, since it can hardly maneuver properly anyhow unless given enough power to void the Infamously Vindictive Allison Warranty (from some alternate universe where aero engines are built of wet sand)

Edited by 19//Moach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

P-39 vs. Me 109. Italy 1944.

P-39 Italy 1944.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Heliopause said:

P-39 vs. Me 109. Italy 1944.

P-39 Italy 1944.png

Then now we should quote when the Bf.-109 did the same? Or shot down any Cobra? When ppl talking about tech its useless quoting dogfights when the P-39 won. That is based on pilot vs pilot, tactic vs tactic and after then tech vs tech.

21 hours ago, 19//Moach said:

You might have the mixture set wrong - It should remain at 66% for auto-rich operation.  You'll find that it then remains perfectly cool (even with half-shut radiators) in most situations up until the engine decides to abruptly rend itself apart, when its educational timer expires. (A Pavlovian reaction training device, no doubt)

Mind also, the '39 has separate shutters for the oil coolers and water radiator. (unlike the P40, which has them all packed together in its jaw) - Make sure both are open before placing the engine at the mercy of its integrated "death clock" (aka: throttling up a bit)

What is the best drag free / cooling solution for oil coolers and radiators on the P39 P40?

On 1/1/2020 at 4:07 AM, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

Mixture?

1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Water rads at 60%

Oil rad at 45%

With this settings I can abuse the engine within its time limits when needed. Out manouver any LW plane as long as I can see them. 
it is a absolute joy to fly when at low speed out turning a 109 then accelerate behind the passing 109. That is if the 109 miss you on first pass. I actually do better in P 39 than any other if light weight 

2 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

With this settings I can abuse the engine within its time limits when needed. Out manouver any LW plane as long as I can see them. 
it is a absolute joy to fly when at low speed out turning a 109 then accelerate behind the passing 109. That is if the 109 miss you on first pass. I actually do better in P 39 than any other if light weight 

Do you fly without the mg’s?

the 39 seems more stable with them but seems more responsive and slightly more agile without

I fly with and extra ammo. But very little fuel. If getting attacked I will be a bit unstable recovering from attack and spray and pray when I counter 

13 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I fly with and extra ammo. But very little fuel. If getting attacked I will be a bit unstable recovering from attack and spray and pray when I counter 

I like the extra ammo too. I don’t like dropping the mg’s completely because it removes the rear armor as well which really seems to help (unlike say the 110e engine armor).  I’ve noticed on all American planes that taking less fuel really does help, especially here and the p47.

1 hour ago, Hajo_Garlic said:

the rear armor as well which really seems to help (unlike say the 110e engine armor).  I’ve noticed on all American planes that taking less fuel really does help, especially

Yes. I am too un patient for free hunt. I take a fighter and go for targets and look for enemy to and from target. I am fed up being prey flying low and heavy. 
So I have noticed I return with too much fuel. Now I take just enough. And have to return in a set time. 

• Upvote 2