YoYo

Future for VR

Do You have in Your plans suppor Blitz for VR?

Fingers crossed! :salute:

• Upvote 2

Hello YoYo

Yes, assuming TF 5.0 is a success and we move onto TF 6.0, then the next big Code Add to the TF 5.0 release will be VR.

Thanks  😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Which means you make the inclusion of a major selling point dependant on sales beforehand? 

I hope it'll work that way! With VR inclusion and some decent BoB SP content I'll be all over CLOD again but right now there is no going back to 2D.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Considering I already own the game, inclusion of VR would definitely make me play it, but I don't see how it would financially benefit the devs. The question is... would the presence of VR tempt new people into buying it? Africa definitely brings more to the table, so I understand the reasoning. So I wish you all the best, for my VR sake :salute:

Yeah.

I'd be a first-time buyer of the CloD content if it was VR.

Just sayin'.

I'm not sure people know how much work is involved in getting CloD to VR standards. If there isn't much interest in 5.0 CloD, then there is no point in doing the massive amount of work involved. If 5.0 is a success and we move to 6.0, then yes, we will do the work necessary. It is a catch 22 for everyone involved. 

• Like 2

was under the impression it was VR  bought it today assuming it was 

I will read more thuroughly next time

8 hours ago, skpcarey1 said:

was under the impression it was VR  bought it today assuming it was 

I will read more thoroughly next time

How could you not know? - LOL  there's been like a gazillion, (ok slight exaggeration) 'Pls pls can we have VR' implemented requests in this sub forum, but yeah you gotta read.

You know what, you'll appreciate it anyway as is . Have fun :salute:.

just bought it like two days ago the price was right

Seems strange for a Steam only version

Le 20/01/2020 à 01h00, 69thSpiritus_Mortem a déclaré:

Je ne suis pas sûr que les gens sachent combien de travail est impliqué pour mettre le CloD aux normes VR. S'il n'y a pas beaucoup d'intérêt pour 5.0 CloD, alors qu'il n'y a aucun intérêt à faire l'énorme quantité de travail nécessaire. Si 5.0 est un succès et que nous passons à 6.0, alors oui, nous ferons le travail nécessaire. C'est une prise 22 pour toutes les personnes impliquées. 

Je voudrais plutôt dire que si COD passe en VR, ce sera un succès garanti.

we could do a survey, but I'm sure of the result !!
Drainant également les joueurs de DCS déçus par leur module WW2.

J'avais déjà COD, mais je l'ai acheté à nouveau pour le soutenir, et dans l'espoir de revivre le BOB en VR.

Edited by -IRRE-Axurit
  • Like 1

It's unfortunate the the revival project of CloD started kinda before everyone started to acquire VR headset and saw the MASSIVE advantage with it. I honestly think that if they had a tactics such as "If you pay for 5.0, we will add VR to the game, guaranteed!" then this project would be ensured a 100% commercial success!

I any case, I will be buying multiple copies of this game and give them to friends and acquintances and support this game to death because from the bottom of my heart I just love the feel and setting of this sim and want it to succeed ❤️ 

Edited by -332FG-Meka
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 6:16 AM, -332FG-Meka said:

It's unfortunate the the revival project of CloD started kinda before everyone started to acquire VR headset and saw the MASSIVE advantage with it. I honestly think that if they had a tactics such as "If you pay for 5.0, we will add VR to the game, guaranteed!" then this project would be ensured a 100% commercial success!

I any case, I will be buying multiple copies of this game and give them to friends and acquintances and support this game to death because from the bottom of my heart I just love the feel and setting of this sim and want it to succeed ❤️ 

I do miss this game.  Early Spitfire vs 109E has great balance and I just love the channel map.  Maybe we can replicate it with the Normandy Great Battles expansion.

Unfortunately I'm in the camp that will not play CoD again or buy DLCs for it until VR gets added. It just isn't fun flying in 2D for me anymore. I do understand the catch-22 situation the devs are in, but I don't think it will be an issue. There are still far, far more 2D players than VR users in the flight sim community, which means a healthy potential market. I think 5.0 will succeed or fail on it's own merits even without any guarantee of VR implementation.

Here's hoping it succeeds so we can fight the BoB and African campaign in glorious VR one day!

Yeah, VR is super fun and it's really hard to come back to 2D flying once I've tried it. However, after taking a closer look at CloD, I ended up spending more time in it, despite the fact that it's still monitor only. This is my subjective opinion, but I enjoy it more than other sim of this forum. I fired up a series of dogfights in Quick Mission builder and I was amazed. It felt so immersive and real with AI actually doing something other than stupid left or right turns. The radio chatter being pretty dramatic with my wingmen communicating with each other and one of them was pissed off that he couldn't see a bandit (I assume that he was on his 6). The Enemy AI bots don't have eyes on their backs and if you sneak up on them from low 6 they usually won't notice you until you open fire. Once they notice you they are doing their best to shake you off. The FM and DM are amazing.

I hope that with 5.0 there'll be some great SP content made by Devs and Community. I might even learn the mission editor myself.

So will the absence of VR support stop me from enjoying the CloD? Of course not, I'm looking forward to 5.0 release. If VR support comes after that, that'll be dream come true!

Edited by Arthur-A
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 2/23/2020 at 6:56 AM, Arthur-A said:

So will the absence of VR support stop me from enjoying the CloD? Of course not, I'm looking forward to 5.0 release. If VR support comes after that, that'll be dream come true!

Could not say it any better, me too

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If you are currently heavily invested in CloD and especially if you are an avid mission editor fan you are the target audience. Assuming this group represents a vast throng of potential TF5 customers why bother with a VR implementation, even assuming a VR implementation is feasible?

The wellington will make me install trackir and ditch VR alone.  North Africa I do miss from old IL 2. And I wonder hiw the P 40 behave. 
Flying Beufighters over Africa will also benefit to my interest. Bomb carrying Beufighters too

The Welly, whilst not complete is outstanding  😃

Appreciate all the positive comments here too guys. Thanks.

IMHO from a graphical as well as immerision point-of-view CloD is un-beatable.

However, from what I have read about (add-on) VR implementation I would indeed assume it to be a true uphill battle for the CloD Devs !!!?

But IF version 6 would indeed get it then CloD alone would push me into VR and finally make me ... ditch TrackIR :-)   

Posted (edited)

I think adding VR is so smart that you could sell that feature as a 6.0 alone. It is the future in sim

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

5 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

IMHO from a graphical as well as immerision point-of-view CloD is un-beatable.

However, from what I have read about (add-on) VR implementation I would indeed assume it to be a true uphill battle for the CloD Devs !!!?

But IF version 6 would indeed get it then CloD alone would push me into VR and finally make me ... ditch TrackIR 🙂

Agreed.  I love, love, LOVED vanilla CloD, even with all of it's faults, but have never even installed Blitz because I was already in VR, and for me there is no going back.  Once VR is in, I'll be there day one, and buy any add-ons

I hope those clever chaps can figure something out. 

1 minute ago, Dijital_Majik said:

have never even installed Blitz because I was already in VR, and for me there is no going back

I *really* have to checkout BoS (and DCS) in true VR because ... everyone having used it that way seems to agree it is the (only) future of flight-sims !?

I have Track-IR though and WS and always believed the extra burden of putting that 'mask' over once head was asking too much.

I hope ... I am mistaken and that VR is indeed a MUST ! 😉 

2 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

I *really* have to checkout BoS (and DCS) in true VR because ... everyone having used it that way seems to agree it is the (only) future of flight-sims !?

I have Track-IR though and WS and always believed the extra burden of putting that 'mask' over once head was asking too much.

I hope ... I am mistaken and that VR is indeed a MUST ! 😉 

I'm never going to be that person who proclaims that VR is THE only way for everyone, but I do know it is for me, in both driving and flying sims.  Maybe my brain is just more easily fooled, or just that I feel I need that depth/spatial awareness to feel connected to what I'm doing.  It makes me feel like i'm there inside the cockpit.  When I first sat in the BoBp Spit MkIX, it was exactly like when I sat in a real MkIX before.  Never had that from a 2d screen.

For me, the experience is akin to, if not more, than going from hat view to TrackIR.  If you get a chance to try VR, definitely take it up and see if it's for you!

Thank you all ... will try VR out asap.

For PS/XBOX type of games I sure see the immediate benefits because controlling options seem more straightforward than for a.o. CloD, BoS and ... even surely ... DCS.

But since the F35 fighter plane also seems to put a real VR-type helmet on a pilot's head is must be feasible 🙂 

On 1/19/2020 at 4:00 PM, 69thSpiritus_Mortem said:

I'm not sure people know how much work is involved in getting CloD to VR standards. If there isn't much interest in 5.0 CloD, then there is no point in doing the massive amount of work involved. If 5.0 is a success and we move to 6.0, then yes, we will do the work necessary. It is a catch 22 for everyone involved. 

Above is the most important entry in this thread and should be the starting point for any discussion of VR implementation.

In the latter part of 2016 I decided to build a pc that could run VR. My current Win7 pc ran most games fine. I had never even seen a VR demo but I knew that VR sounded like the obvious way to experience flight sims. In ~ October 2017 I bought BOK. That Xmas I bought a CV-1. Since then I've gone thru both Odyssey versions and am now using an Index. My win10 pc is still doing well with BoBP. The point is that I had first internalized a need for VR and then planned accordingly. From what I read in this thread CloD is using a different approach and will plan for VR if and when practical. My guess would be that VR implementation will become increasingly daunting (read: resource intensive) as time passes and builds change and AC models such as the Welly reach completion.

Chicken and egg.

You need sales to get to VR.  Without VR many folks won't touch it, so you're losing a sector of the market.  Such a tough decision for them to make but it is what it is.

I'd much rather TF turned their considerable talents and efforts to a desert or Malta paid-for expansion for IL2:GB.  This might be too much of a problem in terms of manpower management for the current team.

von Tom

Most people are playing BoX on a flat screen, I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy CloD when they realize that the game is constantly being developed and updated.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Arthur-A said:

Most people are playing BoX on a flat screen

Dunno about BoX, but according to Steam Statistics this still seems true for most games/sims !

5 hours ago, von_Tom said:

Chicken and egg

Indeed.

Just take "Eve : Valkyrie" (space sim/game) as an example.

The studio behind it reasoned long after release they needed a 'flat' version of the game after all and said it was as a 'gift to the community'. Maybe true, but I guess they also realized it is hard to make enough money from a VR-only title whereas this is still in 2020 no real problem for a 2d-flat game ... look at the upcoming DOOM Eternal with probably (one of) the most advanced flat-screen-game-engines in existance.

I do know of the new very promising VR-Only (Valve) game Alex ... but that might just be ... the exception to the rule !??

I too hope for TFS 6.0 VR support of course but ... wouldn't dare to hold my breath for it !

An aftertought ... EVERY GAMER now seems to demand VR support ... or would not buy the upcoming title ! 

However, I wonder just how many of those protesters actually already own a VR headset themselves !???

BTW I am excited about TrackIr support in CloD as ... that is what most simmers seem to really have !!!? 

Edited by simfan2015

Posted (edited)

What about revisiting CloD with VR with an updated version with additional features they can charge for - find some way to work it in with a paid expansion of BoX but give a sizeable/complete discount for those who had purchased it previously as a loyalty bonus

Then also sell some collector's edition planes, and an add-on campaign or two.

Then they could split the difference - make money on it, even from current owners of the game, while still updating it with VR mode and current graphics/engine and adding more stuff.

Edited by Smeggles
  • Upvote 1

On 3/4/2020 at 3:44 PM, von_Tom said:

Chicken and egg

True might be smart to see how many will be active in 5.0. A big part of marked is also SP 

will that be supported. 

At least the forum visitors saying they won't buy NA unless VR is implemented at outset seem to believe that a VR implementation is possible. That's a definite plus no matter how tenuous that belief.

I've spent several hours today trying to load up SP missions in Blitz. What I'm seeing are things that made me quit it long ago. It just doesn't seem stable. Hit "Fly" and the screen goes blank. Tap the keyboard to get task manager, then tap the Blitz icon on the menu bar and maybe the Blitz mission will start. When the mission finally starts immersion is already lost in the knowledge that more keyboard dancing will be needed if I try to exit to the menu screen to restart or record the mission. Oddly, colors of the Spitfire cockpit dash look washed out even though headrest, AC skin and sky colors look OK. I don't remember noticing that in times past. If Blitz still presents such annoyances should I expect NA to be more stable? Is it really still necessary to temporarily leave a mission to start and stop recording the mission? I wonder how many of the visitors requesting VR implementation for TF 5.0 are active in Blitz.

It amazes me that some people think that properly implementing vr in a game that was not initially made for VR would prove to be a turn-key solution!!? Put in VR or I won't buy... that is sure going to help those Devs 🙂

For some people (myself included) the implementation of VR into future Flight sims is as important as moving from keyboard to joystick. I remember back in the day...flying around a simple map using a rubber keyboard to control my plane was the pinnacle of the hobby..fast forward a few years and using my newly purchased joystick was a revelation, there was no way I could have gone back the keyboard.

VR for me is having that same feeling once again. now I've sampled what VR (even in its earl stages) has to offer I cannot bring myself to regress. as much as I love BOB Blitz, I simply cannot bring myself to spend any time with-it due to the above comments. I bought the game to help the dev's, but I've spent little to no time within game

• Upvote 3

Same here - I don't sim on monitor only, it's VR only. Maybe if I had tons of spare time I'd still do a bit of non VR simming, but because I'm time limited it's got to be VR. So as much as I'd love to support a sim just to support flight simming, in this case it's pretty much guaranteed that I wouldn't use CloD at all (despite really liking the sim - I enjoyed vanillla CloD with all the bugs and warts) without VR. With VR though... I could see myself spending a lot of time with this one, and I'd certainly buy further expansions.

• Upvote 2