Sign in to follow this  
Reggie_Mental

Ferranti Gyro gunsight. Awesome!

It took me a while to work out how to use it, but the Ferranti sight is excellent. A real useful tool in getting rounds on target and conserving ammo.

The German version is a bit clumsy though. Was it a copy of the Ferranti or K14?

Well done to the developers. This brings you up to and beyond DCS standards. 

Not knocking either sim but DCS is a bit limited in maps and battlespace and DLC is very expensive. For gamers IL2 has the edge.

Did any late war Russian aircraft have a gyro sight and can we expect it in the Yak9 onwards?

FERRANTI.jpg

Edited by Reggie_Mental
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Reggie_Mental said:

Did any late war Russian aircraft have a gyro sight and can we expect it in the Yak9 onwards?

No

Just don't see the use, once you learn to deflection shoot well in a given setup, I find your natural instincts to be faster and more accurate than twiddling knobs for range and trusting a gyro gun-sight. 

1 minute ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

Just don't see the use, once you learn to deflection shoot well in a given setup, I find your natural instincts to be faster and more accurate than twiddling knobs for range and trusting a gyro gun-sight. 

Probably true for us PC pilots, who've been deflection shooting for years . Less so in the real world where tuning your 'natural instincts' in combat is likely to take time you don't have.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AndyJWest said:

Probably true for us PC pilots, who've been deflection shooting for years . Less so in the real world where tuning your 'natural instincts' in combat is likely to take time you don't have.

Yes this is fair, especially for the relatively combat-inexperienced pilots flying near the end of the war on both sides. Though I have to think that the guys who had managed to survive and become aces would have had no use for it. 

31 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

It's still useful as a general guide for the axis of fire. I've got no problem with deflection shooting, but the gyro still helps. I just set it once and then just use an imaginary line between the static and moving sights, and because of my experience in deflection shooting I know roughly where on that line to put my target. Very useful guide. Sadly, my beloved P-38 doesn't have one. 😕

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2019 at 6:03 PM, Reggie_Mental said:

The German version is a bit clumsy though. Was it a copy of the Ferranti or K14?

No. It was entirely different development by several manufacturers (Zeiss, Askania) that was tested already in about 1941 on a 109F already, but the Germans did not press production much until they saw the Allied gyro sights making an appearance. It worked well and hits from 600+ meters were reported. The Germans even tested their own vs the G.G.S. taken from a P-47 and IIRC they found their own to be somewhat more accurate in calculating lead. The downside was that the reflector sight area was less.