Some cloud appreciation

sevenless

sevenless

I think with all that talk about optimization potential of the BoX engine and its latest incarnation BoBP with the Rhineland map, there has been way too little talk about one big improvement.

That is IMHO the way how clouds are modelled right now. I have to say I simply love it!

It is to me as if you are playing a completely new game and the best about this game series is IMHO that all previous releases also benefit from the current engine improvements. I am looking very positively forward to all things which could be expected from this game in the not so distant future.

Some random shots from me flying an SP Me 262 mission near Arnhem in career mode. 

cloud1.jpg

cloud2.jpg

cloud3.jpg

cloud4.jpg

cloud5.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 5
Gretsch_Man

And boy do they look FANTASTIC in VR!

IMHO these new clowds surely have bumped up the immersion level of the game by a few notches.

• Upvote 1

I also agree. The new clouds are a big step up and their appreciation got lost among other topics.

I hope that one day we will also get convective models that would nicely match the Summer weather patterns.

Milan

Edited by apollon01

I'm always hugely dissapointed if I have to fly on a clear day.

clouds and the water droplets are one of my fave thing about il2.

indeed they are so good, they're part of the reason I stopped flying in x-plane and DCS.

• Upvote 2
CanadaOne
2 hours ago, OrLoK said:

I'm always hugely dissapointed if I have to fly on a clear day.

clouds and the water droplets are one of my fave thing about il2.

That's one of the things that brings BOX into not just combat flightsim mode, but flightsim mode merely for the pleasure of flying.

• Upvote 1
1PL-Husar-1Esk

Better than those flat pancakes which we had for years but I'm hoping for more variety . Anyway good job, happy with proges !

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
Jade_Monkey

They are definitely looking good.

The one thing that they changed is they limited the max height of the cloudbase to 3000m, which was not the case before (several patches ago).

Is there a way to remove these limits?

ShamrockOneFive
5 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

They are definitely looking good.

The one thing that they changed is they limited the max height of the cloudbase to 3000m, which was not the case before (several patches ago).

Is there a way to remove these limits?

Not sure but I was wondering about that as some servers used to put the cloud base quite high up but as I recall there may have been some rendering artifacts because of that.

Same, you have a problem with your cloud rendering, that's not how they look ingame for me, what GPU are you using?

1 hour ago, Georgio said:

Same, you have a problem with your cloud rendering, that's not how they look ingame for me, what GPU are you using?

Look at my sig.

No mods on for the screenshots.

Driver up to date

Radeon settings on default.

Edited by Semor76
4 minutes ago, Elem said:

What is your AA set on?

Use Application settings. (or Off) I´ve already mad a post in the technical issues section.

sevenless
2 hours ago, Semor76 said:

Funny to read about the enthusiasm for the clouds in IL-2 😂 Are you serious?

For me, the clouds are one of the big weak points in this series. They look more like potato pancakes than something else. Even CoD have better clouds.

Screenshots taken with Ultra Preset & High cloud setting:

That surely isn´t due to the game. Never seen such ugly clouds. Either a driver or hardware issue.

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

That surely isn´t due to the game. Never seen such ugly clouds. Either a driver or hardware issue.

You´re probably right here. I´m reinstall the whole game now and see if this may help.

• Upvote 1
sevenless
47 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

You´re probably right here. I´m reinstall the whole game now and see if this may help.

Well corrupted install could also be the case but my bet would be on a driver issue. My pics above are all on ultra-setting and clouds on extreme, run on a Nvidia GTX 980 SLI combo. Even if I switch the settings down to low or balanced I am unable to reproduce the clouds you are showing in your pics. Sorry but I have no idea what is causing that effect on your end.

Edited by sevenless
19 hours ago, Semor76 said:

I suspect you have some corruption from an update as those clouds are more Secret weapons of the Luftwaffe than IL-2.

Flying at dawn or dusk in VR and the way that the sunlight plays on the cloud layers is simply stunning, it feels as close to what I remember from real flight than anything else.

The only issue and I mean singular is that when at height looking down at the cloud fringe you get a strange rotation effect on some clouds but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

ShamrockOneFive

More cloud appreciation :)

rhineland-cloudy-cityscape.jpg

rhineland-clouds.jpg

bf109f-4-heavy-clouds.jpg

lagg-3-in-4k-nice-clouds.jpg

These are currently the best clouds I've seen in a combat flight sim and bordering on best looking clouds in any sim right now. FS2020 might have something to say about that next year and DCS World is upgrading their tech too but right now I think IL-2 is the king here and these new highest detail level clouds are really both a subtle and a massive improvement all at once. The team really did a great job with them!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
SCG_OpticFlow
3 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

rhineland-clouds.jpg

These are currently the best clouds I've seen in a combat flight sim and bordering on best looking clouds in any sim right now. FS2020 might have something to say about that next year and DCS World is upgrading their tech too but right now I think IL-2 is the king here and these new highest detail level clouds are really both a subtle and a massive improvement all at once. The team really did a great job with them!

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

- Leonardo da Vinci

3 hours ago, Georgio said:

I suspect you have some corruption from an update as those clouds are more Secret weapons of the Luftwaffe than IL-2.

Flying at dawn or dusk in VR and the way that the sunlight plays on the cloud layers is simply stunning, it feels as close to what I remember from real flight than anything else.

The only issue and I mean singular is that when at height looking down at the cloud fringe you get a strange rotation effect on some clouds but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Nope. I´ve found the issue. And I think you will not like it, because it can happen to any of you guys. 😉

For more infos, take a look in my thread in the technical issues section.

RedKestrel
2 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

rhineland-clouds.jpg

Shamrock you are a villain and a knave for making me want to fire up the game and crank up my settings when I KNOW I will not be able to for at least 2 weeks and probably, like, a couple more months. D:/
A knave! GOOD DAY, SIR!

ShamrockOneFive
1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

Shamrock you are a villain and a knave for making me want to fire up the game and crank up my settings when I KNOW I will not be able to for at least 2 weeks and probably, like, a couple more months. D:/
A knave! GOOD DAY, SIR!

And a good day to you as well! 😎

(Here's one more for the road 🤩)

tempestv-those-semi-elliptical-wings.jpg

LuseKofte

Ih the many times I have been shot down while just flying among those clouds. Totally forgetting why I am there. Watching the water 💦 in canopy flying low rpm in the valley’s of clouds then 💥 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
WWDriftwood

What are the cloud settings being used in Mission Editor to get the "double layer of clouds" ???

I flew Red BoX and saw those and thought WTH! that's awesome, never seen 2 layers before...