Sign in to follow this  
LukeFF

Boscombe Down, RAF Odiham and RAF Lasham Airfield Layouts

Of all the British airfields I've researched for BoN, these are the two I've struggled with to find good, reliable overhead images of what they looked like during WWII. Concerning Odiham, I have practically nothing to go on, save for one oblique image from the early 1950s. As for Lasham, I have what I think is a diagram of its early 1940s layout, but I would like to be certain.

Can anyone help out with what these 2 airfields looked like during the war?

Edited by LukeFF

Do not know whether you have seen this site, has photo of lasham in 1942 (obviously a bit early for BoN). But there is alate photo of same field and does not look a lot different generally. Main site also includes Odiham also but no pictures from then.

http://www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/airfields/las.html

Edited by 56RAF_Stickz
extra

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Stickz said:

Do not know whether you have seen this site, has photo of lasham in 1942 (obviously a bit early for BoN). But there is alate photo of same field and does not look a lot different generally. Main site also includes Odiham also but no pictures from then.

http://www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/airfields/las.html

Yes, I have, and it's a great resource. It looks like the current layout of Odiham hasn't changed much since the 40s, so if nothing else turns up I think we can get it looking reasonably like it did back then. 

@LukeFF sorry didn't see this sooner...not that this is time sensitive.

I have this resource. 

1410788998_UKAirfields_01.thumb.JPG.5eb27618eeb7f9cab51d987efc8b7222.JPG

And this is what it shows for Lasham...

405738655_UKAirfields_Lasham.thumb.JPG.d7223930661041fd8bc3a78525fb1b82.JPG

And Odiham...

1474216686_UKAirfields_Odiham.thumb.JPG.7515714d4429e4801a6d257a7d958e98.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Question

landing area: concrete and wood chippings

I see wood chippings in flower beds and around the trunks of trees. What would their use be in a landing area?

Wood chips as an agregrate in concrete is a thing, apparently with greater strength than straight concrete. 

There was also Pycrete, ice and wood chips intended for use in giant aircraft carrier during the war. (never actually used) 

I guess it may have been used as a short term measure with easy to procure materials..? 

Purely guessing 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

On 1/9/2020 at 3:14 AM, Dakpilot said:

Wood chips as an agregrate in concrete is a thing, apparently with greater strength than straight concrete. 

So a substitute for crushed stone then. Yes straight concrete is not that strong.

Found out the wood chips were used to break up the shininess of runways under moonlight.

14 minutes ago, thrila said:

I don't know if you are aware but crecy has a series of books on RAF airfields: Action Stations

Thanks! Probably a bit out of my price range, but I did pick up a used copy of the book @busdriver quoted above. It's a tremendously helpful resource. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

Hey thats brilliant Rap:salute:.  I now know a lot more about Odiham.

During the BoN period it would appear to have been stuffed full of Spitfires, Mustangs, Typhoons, Mosquitos and seventy-six WAAFs:)

6 hours ago, Raptorattacker said:

@LukeFF 

Is THIS any help?

That is, thank you very much!

Does anyone have any good layout images of what Boscombe Down looked like in late 1944? I have some recon photos of what it looked like in 1940 and one diagram showing the runway that was built some time after that, but more info would be great.

10 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

During the BoN period it would appear to have been stuffed full of Spitfires, Mustangs, Typhoons, Mosquitos and seventy-six WAAFs

SEVENTY SIX WAAF's??? The POOR girls, I bet they had a lock on their bedroom door?!!