Sign in to follow this  
Badders46_VR

Best convergence for P-51

Hi all,

I have almost exclusively flown the Tempest since release but have got into flying the 51 and have had decent results with it, my only problem is convergence... Last night I managed to shoot both a 190 and 110 on Combat Box but couldn't finish the job as with their evading, my convergence seemed to be all over the shop.

I am using 230 which is what I have used for the Spit and Tempest but especially with the 110 I struggled due to the rear gunner and not being able to get close enough without putting myself at risk.

What do you use?

Thanks!

IIRC P-51 guns were harmonized to about 330 yards which is close to 300 m.

I use 220m for all my fighters and air to air sorties. If 230m was too spread out for you, try 200m. If nothing else this is the lowest range for the K-14 sight. :)

I use 150 m (even 120 sometimes) for anti-fighter combat, and 300 m for anti-bomber and ground strafing.

I use 250-300 for P51 and P47, I would be using 400-500 if I could use ammo belt without tracers - it's all about the distance you prefer to open up at. Record some demos while flying in multiplayer, then replay it with markers turned on so you can see the exact distance to target when you start firing usually and you will know your best convergence. 

1. Record a track of you shooting down a plane in the P51.
  2. Play the recording with icons turned on.
  3. Note the distance of the enemy plane when you start getting hits and when you finish getting hits.
  4. Record the average distance at which you where getting hits.
  5. Set your gun convergence to this distance.
  6. Repeat this process more times in a variety of conditions and average out the result to gain better precision.

Edit :or just guess

Edited by [DBS]Browning
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I use 300 yards as my convergence. I read once that a couple of U.S. aces used it as they thought about distance to target in terms of the length of an American football field. Good enough for them, good enough for me. The six .50s seem pretty devastating on most fighter types when hit at that range. Maybe not always an immediate kill every time, but defiantly within just a few seconds to a couple of minutes even without additional hits.   

9 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

IIRC P-51 guns were harmonized to about 330 yards which is close to 300 m.

I use 220m for all my fighters and air to air sorties. If 230m was too spread out for you, try 200m. If nothing else this is the lowest range for the K-14 sight. :)

The K-14 is marked in yards not meters, so you need to convert. Simplest way to remember is a meter is 39 inches and convert from there. 

In this case, 180 meters is 200 yards. 

1 hour ago, LLv24_Sukka24 said:

I use 300m which is 325 yards IIRC and it's working well for me

I use the the same, works really well with the Tempests cannons.

I'm used to flying VVS aircraft and the Spit so ammo amount is a limitation.  As a result, I like to get in close and make sure my hits are hitting so I set 150m for my convergence.  I can understand though with the 50Cals, ranging them out would make sense as 1. aircraft using them have lots of ammo and 2. even though the US planes are wing mounted guns, they are grouped close together on each side, exception being the P39.

Pity we can't set and forget for each aircraft type and for Ground Pounding, well, I always expect to have to do air fighting so I keep convergence set for air to air and just open up close on ground targets.👍

Centered at 400 metres for all planes. It is a question of getting used to. Once you get the hang of it, it works perfectly fine.

• Like 1

360 meters for 400 yards, especially using the ace maker, that's about what it's ranging midpoint is.  Bullets should average no more than 8" above or below trajectory, that's pretty dang flat.  Makes for best accuracy!

Thanks again for your input... I haven't had a chance to test but it has made for interesting reading. We all use settings that are so different so I will try a variety and see how I get on!

See you in the virtual skies!

On 12/13/2019 at 1:05 PM, [DBS]Browning said:
  1. Record etc...

Interesting idea. Will try it.

Edited by Tipsi

It feels like the vertical is like 0 by default.

If I set my convergence to 150m, the slightest turn will cause my rounds to act as if it is a high deflection shot and I undershoot.

If I set my convergence to 400m, the slightest turn will cause my rounds to act as if it is a high deflection shot and I undershoot.

It's getting really frustrating. I remember being able to do blind leads easily with the P-40 but they're almost impossible in the 51.

For an example, in this clip, my convergence is set to 350m, yet notice how they're still coming up short. Before the BoB update this guy would have been roasted. It's confusing my mind.

https://streamable.com/0dygq

Posted (edited)

240 M

273 Y

787 F

My ping  online is high ; But it works.

Edited by [LAS]URU-Panzer
a