JG1_leeG

Stuck Turning Left - SOLVED

Just getting started in tanks and I’ve encountered a steering problem I need help sorting out.

I use the cursor keys for accelerate, brake and turning. Driving forward, backwards and turning right work fine. But if I turn left, the tank sticks in the left turn and keeps turning left until I reboot. Same thing happens with either direct keyboard press or with the left cursor key assigned to a button on my controller.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  I’m stumped. 

SOLVED:  Turns out there was a TrackIR 5 hotkey assigned to the "left cursor" key.  Not a hotkey I set up or used.  Since I have been using the same TrackIR profile for RoF and IL2 for years, I never  consider the possibility of a TrackIR hotkey conflict.  Turned the hotkey off and all is well.

Guess Tank Crew was the first time I used the left cursor alone in IL2 so encountered the problem.  Fortunately, I figured it out when I was using TrackIR in another game that I usually play in VR.  I use the left cursor a lot in that title and when it suddenly started having the same issue I was finally able to isolated problem.

Edited by JG1_leeG
Provide solution to original issue.

I run into this issue quite often.

For me it occurs when I am holding down a movement command, such as forward, and then press "o" to view the map. When I come back, the tank is stuck moving forward. Sometimes it occurs if I simply switch views from internal to external (or vice versa) while holding a movement command.

I've also been stuck in left or right turns for the same reason.

7 minutes ago, pfrances said:

For me it occurs when I am holding down a movement command, such as forward, and then press "o" to view the map. When I come back, the tank is stuck moving forward.

This might be wanted, however as far as I know, it was never confirmed by the Devs. We use it, so we don't have to constantly press the forward key, when driving for a longer time.

54 minutes ago, vlad_8011 said:

Just push that locked key once more - it will unlock.

Never in my observation. I've not been successful in unsticking a stuck motion command.

1 hour ago, vlad_8011 said:

Just push that locked key once more - it will unlock.

No, pushing the locked key again doesn't unlock the turn.  I had already tried that.

But I have found a work around.  I've reassigned turn left from KBLEFT to RCTR + KBLEFT.  Now turning left doesn't lock up.  As to why this works I haven't a clue.  I'm just happy I can finally drive normally.