Sign in to follow this  
ME-BFMasserME262

WWII planes for left handed people

Making a fast search on Google I could not find anything related.

Did all the fighters have the throttle to be used by left hand and stick by right hand?

I like to think maybe a PRO Ace who was left handed asked for a special plane made just for him/her, but I guess that never ever happened, and it's just a nice idea to happen in a movie but not in real life.

The thing is, I have my sim set so that I use left hand to control the stick and right hand to control the throttle. I have a T16000M so tried changing that, but my right hand is totally useless for it.

I dont own a car but have driven and I use left hand (right traffic in my country), when I drive a bicycle I use the left hand, and when did PPL flight hours, I always flew a C150, in the left side, so I used my left hand to fly it, so never had a problem driving/riding/flying.

While I write with my right hand, I cant use to to drive or control anything, so I wonder if in real life there were a pilot with that problem, or its just me.

Were any T16000M back in 1940? that would be good I think, lol

You'll get used to it rather quickly - it's a matter of minutes getting used to flying with the other hand.

Make sure you have a means of supporting your arm and you'll be able to make those fine corrections just fine.

Dunno about WW2 aircraft but some WW1 aircraft have the engine controls on the right instead. The Sopwith ½ Strutter such an aircraft that comes to mind at least judging from Rise of Flight. This thread has made me realise about some differences between some planes in FC versus RoF to query in the FC subforum. Just checked again and the Bristol Fighter also has it's throttle on the right (mixture on the left) just as it did in Rise of Flight.

Edited by Oliver88

No. Adjustments were not made.

Flying 'HOTAS' is a somewhat new innovation as WW2 planes had no Hydraulically/electrically operated control surfaces. This mean that in combat it was normal to use both hands on the stick in order to more easily overcome the forces required to move the stick.

24 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Did all the fighters have the throttle to be used by left hand and stick by right hand?

I like to think maybe a PRO Ace who was left handed asked for a special plane made just for him/her, but I guess that never ever happened...

?How would this pilot have become a PRO Ace in the first place without a left-handed cockpit setup?   And once they became so good in a standard cockpit setup as to achieve the status of requiring their own specialized aeroplane, why would they want to change it around and re-train themselves... particularly under combat conditions?

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy

24 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

You'll get used to it rather quickly - it's a matter of minutes getting used to flying with the other hand.

Make sure you have a means of supporting your arm and you'll be able to make those fine corrections just fine.

Are you left handed or possibly ambidextrous? As with the original OP, I too am left handed using the same joystick. Being left handed means having to use your right hand in everyday life regardless of the task as most things are set up that way. While I get used to it, I can't honestly say it feels natural or even comfortable. I've flown right handed to see if I could. I can but not to the degree I'd do it by choice. As flying a sim is a hobby, I choose not to. They'll pry my joystick out of my cold, dead left hand before I'll switch. 

15 minutes ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

?How would this pilot have become a PRO Ace in the first place without a left-handed cockpit setup?   And once they became so good in a standard cockpit setup as to achieve the status of requiring their own specialized aeroplane, why would they want to change it around and re-train themselves... particularly under combat conditions?

I was thinking about that, I just wanted to imagine a situation where a plane for left handed would be created, as I wrote, its not a nice idea to happen in real life.

1 minute ago, Rjel said:

Are you left handed or possibly ambidextrous? As with the original OP, I too am left handed using the same joystick. Being left handed means having to use your right hand in everyday life regardless of the task as most things are set up that way. While I get used to it, I can't honestly say it feels natural or even comfortable. I've flown right handed to see if I could. I can but not to the degree I'd do it by choice. As flying a sim is a hobby, I choose not to. They'll pry my joystick out of my cold, dead left hand before I'll switch. 

No, but I had to fly left-handed stick before, which I found mildly uncomfortable at first.

I got used to it after a couple of minutes, though.

For some reasons, it's a non-issue on a yoke and only a bit of a challenge at first with a stick. It also largely depends on the type of aircraft and how sensitive the controls are.

First time I flew "opposite controls" (stick in the left hand, throttles/ prop on the right hand) I flew an Aquila (slick airplane) into a short runway.

6 minutes ago, Rjel said:

[...]

As flying a sim is a hobby, I choose not to. They'll pry my joystick out of my cold, dead left hand before I'll switch. 

Exactly. I changed the T16000M and set it for right hand, for an, "immersion" thing, but after crashing the plane several times during take off -which didnt happen that much when I tried the sim for the first time in my life with the left hand-, I then decided that this is just a hobby and a game, and **** off immersion, so Im using the joystick for left handed again.

3 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

No, but I had to fly left-handed stick before, which I found mildly uncomfortable at first.

I got used to it after a couple of minutes, though.

For some reasons, it's a non-issue on a yoke and only a bit of a challenge at first with a stick. It also largely depends on the type of aircraft and how sensitive the controls are.

First time I flew "opposite controls" (stick in the left hand, throttles/ prop on the right hand) I flew an Aquila (slick airplane) into a short runway.

my problem is I cant get used to it. Same for bicycle for example. I tried riding it thousands of times using my right arm/hand, but often end up "crashing" in the floor, I just can't.

Regarding the opening post: you'd have learnt to fly right-handed by the time you made it to a warplane, assuming you hadn't already had leftyism beaten out of you as a child.

Edited by ruby_monkey

well its interesting.. HOTAS when in fighter, fly right hand on stick. left on power.

with a yoke.. like in a cessna.. left hand on control. and right on power...

i suppose you really just adapt to the machine :)

Edited by spartan85

I don't think there is any such thing as right-handed and left-handed in a plane, or perhaps any vehicle. Various countries, including my own, drive on the left of the road meaning we sit on the right, so the gear stick is also on the left. We're not a nation of left-handers yet we're no less competent in driving our vehicles than people who use opposite controls. I personally am not ambidextrous in any way, yet I had no problems at all when I headed abroad and had to drive a car sitting on the opposite side. Within minutes it felt perfectly natural.

I think handedness only matters when precise dexterity is involved. I can easily drive a car regardless of which side the controls are on, but can I write, draw, paint, throw, or swing a sword accurately left-handed? Absolutely not.

57 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

I tried riding it thousands of times using my right arm/hand, but often end up "crashing" in the floor, I just can't.

Interesting, I didn't even think there was a right handed and left handed way to ride a bike. You have to be able to take each hand off the handlebar to signal turns after all, and the rest of the time you mostly ride with both hands.

I can't name one vehicle off the top of my head where you have the luxury to switch around the controls left to right. I suppose it's not an issue to such a majority of the population that it's not worth the effort?

I'm left handed and used a left handed T-16000M for at least a year switched to right hand when I got a new T16000 stick rudder and throttle set.  Took a while to get used to the rudder pedals and right hand stick (about a month IIRC), but it has become just as natural as using my left hand.  Recommend starting straight from the beginning with a right hand stick.

I flew left-handed for so long (t16000) that when I upgraded to my VKB Gladiator, I had to remove the hatswitch to fly left-handed because flying with my right hand felt so weird....

It's not a big dead to fly left, middle or right handed stick/yoke and throttle, RPM, mixture controls. It comes natrually after settling in the cockpit and starting to operate the plane. I speak only of my personal experiences with Piper/Cessna/Diamond/KitFox/Aero L-39C Albatros/Robinson R-44 Astro type of planes/helos.

Edited by LLv44_Damixu

The world is right handed bias so us lefties have to adapted

I'm left handed but right arm dominant, So i fly right handed while drinking beer with my left hand.

I am a bit ambidextrous as i can write with both hands at the same time but find it easier to write backwards with my right hand

9 minutes ago, Zippy-do-dar said:

The world is right handed bias so us lefties have to adapted

I'm left handed but right arm dominant, So i fly right handed while drinking beer with my left hand.

I am a bit ambidextrous as i can write with both hands at the same time but find it easier to write backwards with my right hand

Sounds similar to me. I'm right brained but left hand dominate. That may be the reason why I'm backasswards all the time. 😊

37 minutes ago, Zippy-do-dar said:

[...]

So i fly right handed while drinking beer with my left hand.

[...]

You, sir, are truly an Ace.

30 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

In an Airbus you fly right-handed as first officer and left-handed as captain 🤷‍♂️

+1   Same for the Boeing.

Most bombers and GA aircraft have the engine controls on the center, so the pilot generally controls the yoke with their left or both hands, rather than being a right handed setup. 

I fly planes in my spare time and it doesn't matter where you sit or if you are lefthanded plane ... same with driving a car

Cars are a good example. No country I know makes separate cars for lefties and dextrous. If you consider there are entire countries with the wheel on the right and others on the left, you can't help thinking that it ultimately makes no diference.

I'm no expert but apparently there are separate 'fine' and 'coarse' motor abilities, the first applying to small things like writing, and the second applying to broader things. Sticks, wheels, levers etc use the latter, where being dextrous or not makes little difference.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Making a fast search on Google I could not find anything related.

I like to think maybe a PRO Ace who was left handed asked for a special plane made just for him/her, but I guess that never ever happened, and it's just a nice idea to happen in a movie but not in real life.

The thing is, I have my sim set so that I use left hand to control the stick and right hand to control the throttle. I have a T16000M so tried changing that, but my right hand is totally useless for it.

I dont own a car but have driven and I use left hand (right traffic in my country), when I drive a bicycle I use the left hand, and when did PPL flight hours, I always flew a C150, in the left side, so I used my left hand to fly it, so never had a problem driving/riding/flying.

While I write with my right hand, I cant use to to drive or control anything, so I wonder if in real life there were a pilot with that problem, or its just me.

Were any T16000M back in 1940? that would be good I think, lol

It's frustrating that I can't tell if this is tongue-in-cheek or if you're being serious.  I'll assume your serious since this thread has continued with real conversation.  Can you imagine how expensive it would be to mass produce two variants of plan just for the few % of pilots who are left handed?  Talk about a Project Management nightmare!

Also, you mentioned flying well to get your PPL by using left hand on yoke and right on throttle/mixture.  I'm right handed and had to do the same in the left seat, so why would I get special consideration?  Our problems are the same, but reversed!

Back then left handed ppl were burned alive for witchcrafting!

Joke aside, i'm lefty and as a kid i broke my arm so evetually i learned writing with right hand (now using L/H again) so i guess with a bit of practice you would get used to it.

I alternate flying aircraft in real life that are left and right handed sticks. You get used to it quick. It will always feel a little unnatural at first but once you get into the swing of it, it's fine. 

I've never had a problem using right handed flight controllers.  I did have to place the stick in a centerline position at first though.  That helped until I was able to change to having the standard desktop throttle left/keyboard/stick right setup.  

Left handed scissors and can openers can suck my ……..   though. 

Edited by Mobile_BBQ

If I am not mistaken the French airplanes had their throtle on the rigth side of the plane. There is still hope for left handed people.:salute:

And let us not forget a lot of bombers and transport aircrafts (most planes with two pilots) have the stick in front and the throtle on the rigth side of the pilot but on the left side of the co-pilot.

Edited by senseispcc

I remember my dad once said that if you use the left hand its almost like someone else is flying it.

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I remember my dad once said that if you use the left hand its almost like someone else is flying it.

A weird thing to learn from your DAD.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, danielprates said:

A weird thing to learn from your DAD.

Could be worse: imagine how F_IV would have turned out, if he had had that advice from his MUM.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, senseispcc said:

If I am not mistaken the French airplanes had their throtle on the rigth side of the plane.

Nope

What some planes had, italian planes mostly, was an inverted throttle lever. Back was full throttle, foward was idle.

I read somewhere that Hans Joachin Marseille didn't put up a great show when he fley a Macchi fighter during an event with italian pilots. Even though the expert pilot that he was, we confused the lever orientation and ended up stalling and bellylanding the thing.

14 hours ago, senseispcc said:

If I am not mistaken the French airplanes had their throtle on the rigth side of the plane. There is still hope for left handed people.:salute:

And let us not forget a lot of bombers and transport aircrafts (most planes with two pilots) have the stick in front and the throtle on the rigth side of the pilot but on the left side of the co-pilot.

I believe it was that, for French aircraft, pulling back on the throttle increased the power, and forward decreased it. 

I seem to recall something about the British receiving a batch of French F4F Wildcats that were rigged that way, and it drove them to no end of distraction until they either got them re-rigged or moved on to different planes entirely.