apollon01

The Rheinland map

The Rheinland map  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the quality of the Rheinland map? (BoX version 4.002)

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not own the Battle of Bodenplatte module
  2. 2. In case you are not happy with the Rheinland map, is this fact making you hold off from pre-purchasing the Battle of Normandy?

• Yes, I am not pre-purchasing the BoN since I am not happy with the Rheinland map
    • No, I am pre-purchasing the BoN even though I am not happy with the Rheinland map
    • The quality of the Rheinland map has no influence on my decision of pre-purchasing (or not) the BoN
    • N/A since I replied "Yes" or "I do not own the Battle of Bodenplatte module" to the first question

Poll linked to "The Rheinland map" in General discussion.

Thanks!

Milan

Edited by apollon01

I am happy with it.

I'm not saying it couldn't be better, it may be the least best map they made but I'm OK with it never the less as it's still of good quality IMHO.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Haha 2

Map is of quality i expected, textures near rivers are only thing that i see as bug with it, other stuff i dont care mutch as long its playable.

From devs when map come in question i expect bare minimum, even making airbases look like they did in ww2 is abow my expectations.

I think they should work on the transitions.
When the land meets the rivers, when the land meets the cities, these borders seems not well finished, they are too abrupt.
Also the map needs texture variety. All looks the same everywhere.

But one of the problems is the comparison with Kuban, and here there is something to be said.
Kuban has topographically, geographically speaking, much more variance and that interferes a lot in the perception between the two.
Rheinland is mostly flat ground and there is not much to do in this regard.

• Upvote 2

It could use some polishing. I'm sure it will get it eventually. Until then I am still happy to use it.

I pre-purchased BoN even though I am not happy with the Rheinland map. I trust on 1CGS that they will improve this map in the upcoming updates, just like they did in the other projects. If the map is left in this state, I will not pre-order anymore 1C-products after BoN.

Edited by Grancesc

The questions are too strongly worded...

I'm really into ground attack - so having some river barges/boats (as was done for Stalingrad) and having rail-marshaling yards, and other more varied ground targets is a major selling point for me... it would have significantly increased my likelihood of pre-ordering BoBP (something I still haven't done - choosing to save my resources for FC Vol.2 and BoN).

However, I'm pretty happy with the fact that they are just releasing any sims - so I'm able to overlook AI issues, the limited variety of ground targets, the lack of early war two-seaters that are slow enough to catch in RoF etc. Yes, I have a wishlist... but it isn't enough to keep me from supporting them or being impressed by incremental improvements.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Still missing my home town of  'Neuss'. It's located between München Gladbach and Düsseldorf and definitely older than these two places ...

Talking about missing cities: at least the area of the so called 'Ruhrgebiet' (from Duisburg to Dortmund) is a bit empty. This region was one of the industrial hearts of the Third Reich and contained many more cities than the currently available ones.

But I do understand that it would be too much work to put in so many more places. Moreover that I could imagine that more cities would also be a burden for the average PC's memory.

Just my two cents worth opinion ... 😅

Edited by =FI=Genosse
  • Like 1

I would like to see proper roads and more  train tracks and Autobahn along with telegraph stamps , but overall not so repeatetive textures especially near roads , cites etc. Really don't like how roads are become invisible beyond some distance, I can see cities far away but roads are cut in the middle same with buildings at airports. This all can be done and I hope some day will becouse quality standard seen before BOB.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, =FI=Genosse said:

Still missing my home town of  'Neuss'. It's located between München Gladbach and Düsseldorf and definitely older than these two places ...

I understand being picky about where you live :) I don't think I ever forgave X-Plane or MSFS for essentially leaving out the capital of my country...

The map is essentially what the team said it would be, we understood that from the start because Jason told us it could/would not have everything we might want, it does look the part without having all we might wish for.;)

Yes it could do with some improvement, the river edges for one and the textures could do with a little more variety as it does look a bit repetitive,  I suppose as with maps in the old game though texture slots might be limited and the size of the area it covers means you cannot possibly include every variation of tree and vegetation across all those countries, it does look European though which is what they set out to do.

The population centres are a little sparse, the Eastern maps are better in that respect as there is more habitation spread across the land mass, however, the question is just how much time a team can actually devote trying to replicate the shear volume of housing stock across what is a very densely populated area and would it be playable?

The mission/campaign builders can add more in the areas their work covers to give it a more lived in look without the whole map necessarily needing to replicate every city, town, village and hamlet within its borders.

At the moment my financial situation prevents me doing a pre-order for the next installment, nothing else, health issues prevent me playing much but I still like to buy in and watch the development process and see what we end up with, the team normally improve many things in game as work continues both on the maps and in all other areas so there is no reason to think that will change.

Do I have gripes with the series so far?  Yes of course I do because we always seem to want the team to produce everything we wish for, realistically that will never be possible, however, they do a great job with what they do make for the small price they ask as far as I am concerned.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Reading the results here from this poll, sure are not good and I must admit like the houses in the Low countries are more look-a-like from Germany, so gone is one of the highly needed immersions factors. But I can not say the whole map is that bad in VR.  

Only in my “VR”view I think the FC1 map, thats been made by Ugra media design buro or wathever its name is, is far more woser then the BoBpl map. The whole no-mans land in FC, is so bad made in VR, that I can not imagine that @Jason_Williams is satisfying by the results of this  Russian “ design” buro. I guess mr @Jason_Williams needs a talk to that “buro” about buying a VRset, as I think the whole problem here is, Ugra media, can not test its own creation in VR.  

Edited by Dutch2

I’d like to see boats , ships, barrages, canal boats , locks, farms ( simple ones) in Bob.You get the idea “ more stationary things and/or targets even if the developers had o drag them over from other theaters to populate the map a bit more. In BoB campaigns currently we are asked to fly pretty long missions over a sort of conveyor belt of rolling forgettable countryside ( and the occasionally well-done town or city,,,) I think it would be pretty terrific if we could seek out & destroy more ground targets in free-hunt fashion...don’t you? I do hope work is not finished because all things said , it is a good beginning.

Yes I bought Normandy and have fingers crossed...it has so much potential...then again I’ll buy almost anything from this Team

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Yes I bought Normandy and have fingers crossed...it has so much potential.

Potential..... this is exactly what I felt since the beginning. It could be so much more. 
You can taste what it could have been. You can physically see the budget line. 
yet it is the best combat sim out there

• Like 1

4 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

yet it is the best combat sim out there

BOX is actually the only combat sim on the market.

DCS is a kind of a study sim and War Thunder is a game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

BOX is actually the only combat sim on the market.

DCS is a kind of a study sim and War Thunder is a game.

BOX is actually the only combat flight sim 'game' on the market...

It's a game simulating WWII aviation combat... that's it, nothing more.

• Like 1

I may still pre-order BON once they release well-modelled ME410 and Arado 234, but the disappointing performance and quality of BOBP maps made me hold-off for now.

For reference here is DCS recently updated Normany map running at 4k resolution, once DCS improves their damage model and this map leaves beta, I am afraid it may be "game over" for IL2:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

pre-order BON once they release well-modelled ME410 and Arado 234, but the disappointing performance and quality of BOBP maps made me hold-off for now.

I buy it since it is cheap, Kind of fed up with flying US glass planes broken to little bits once it got hit by a bullet. I simply do not hink this sim simulate late war in a good way.

If there where any people on early war servers I would had a bit more enthusiasm

4 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I am afraid it may be "game over" for IL2:

If they could have a plane set that fits in the same time frame. 
It will never compete with IL 2 as it goes now. 
GB multiplayer is a joke if you look at numbers. 1 almost full and two not even half full on mp on average 

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, WheelwrightPL said:

I may still pre-order BON once they release well-modelled ME410 and Arado 234, but the disappointing performance and quality of BOBP maps made me hold-off for now.

For reference here is DCS recently updated Normany map running at 4k resolution, once DCS improves their damage model and this map leaves beta, I am afraid it may be "game over" for IL2:

That's being a bit harsh. IL2 is great, and I far, far prefer combat in in IL2. It's just missing a few things. But the improvements keep coming. 

I would be happy with the Rhine map as it is if only there were some life to it. But in QMB it's so bloody empty. A train wayyyy over there, a few trucks wayyyyy over there, and every airfield looks like the Borg came in stripped them clean. Let's see some... something.

OK... so I got the BoBP too and had a look at the map in its current state. It would definitely deserve some more work as the countryside feels so empty. I am not saying the map should depict every single village but there are basically none 😥

Anyway, currently I am finishing my Moscow career, then the Stalingrad and Kuban are lined up so by the time I get to Rheinland I hope the team will have put few more hours into the map development (as actually announced).

Looking forward to the progress!

• Upvote 1