Sign in to follow this  
JG51_jokkr

Upgrading to a 7700k

I currently use a well equipped computer, now approaching 3 years old. I'm a vr user and have noted over time my framerate Is on the ragged edge. The computer was built with a i7700. It has water cooling, fast memory, and a 1080 ti. 2 gig SSD (m2) also.

I was starting to spec up a new box, but a squad mate suggested over locking the cpu might be the cheap ticket.

concidering  the way flightSims are designed this might have merit.

Should I just buy a 7700k and be happy for a while? Anything newer is not going to work. Mother board is at the end of updating with the 7700 generation.

Bon

Edited by JG51_jokkr

Do you plan to start using VR? Do you want to overclock the 7700k ? Maybe delid it?

If you are playing at 1080@60hz the 7700 should be enough 

The ideal would be to sell the i7-7700 and the motherboard and get the i5-9600K (six cores, about the same performance of the quad-core / eight threads of the i7-7700K) and a Z390 motherboard and overclock it. My rig (signature) was affordable and has six cores (Il-2 don't use hyper threading). My load in 2560X1080p is usually around 15%, but what matters here is clock. You feel a big difference in simulators when going from stock to 4.8Ghz / 5Ghz. And the 9th generation i5 is soldered, so you don't have to delid it. I can get to 5Ghz even with a Maelstrom 240T with 1.32V and be below 70ºC while rendering a video with the CPU at 100% (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil). I'm currently waiting to build my Alphacool 360 loop to go back to 5Ghz, but I could run it at 5Ghz with a regular 240mm AIO rad.

You could also try your luck with an i7-7700K and see if it can get to 5Ghz, but then you have another variable, which is the TIM paste. You might not be able to get past 4.8Ghz. With the i5-9600K you just have to bet on the silicon lottery. My chip for example is at the middle of the pack. Some people will get to 5Ghz with 1.4V, some people can get to 5Ghz with 1.22V. 

Which water cooler do you have?  

I just think it is a waste of money to buy a locked CPU for VR. Or to get an i7-7700K and don't overclock it. You need to overclock it as best as you can. If you can get a good deal on a i5-9600K and the Z390 UD (I can get stable at 5Ghz with no sweat, no voltage variation), it is the best value out there for overclockers. If you intend on playing MFS 2020, consider an i7-9700K, but then you might not be able to get to 5Ghz with a simple cooler.

Just mind that the Z390s are usually coming with a 8+4 pin CPU power cable, then you have to check if your PSU is up to the task. 

Edited by SeaW0lf

To emphasize, I am using a Gen 1.5 VR headset.

The box is an Alienware. First time I bought a pre-built and I spec'ed it up with cooling, oversize power supply, etc.

It's capable but not expandable. Motherboard is not standard form factor so I can't replace. 

Only path is to overclock i7700. Wondering if there is.any significant framerate available doing that.

B

Edited by JG51_jokkr

Just now, JG51_jokkr said:

Only path is to overclock i7700. Wondering if there is.any significant framerate available doing that.

The i7-7700 is not unlocked for overclock. You have to get the i7-7700K. But do you know the water cooler model? In general these branded all in one computers will get an OEM from Asetek or CoolIT, the same OEMs that are used by Corsair, Thermaltake, etc.

Is the radiator 120mm or 240mm? If it is 120mm, I'm not sure if you are going to have any gains running a stock i7-7700K. You might be able to overclock it to 4.4Ghz, but it is not considerable. The i7-7700 might cap all cores at 4Ghz. I think the i7-7700K caps all cores at 4.3Ghz running stock. The max turbo is generally for one core only. So the 300mhz might bring some frames, but nothing like if you get an i7 running at 5Ghz, most likely delided.

If the radiator is 240mm, 280mm or 360mm, you can take it to 4.8Ghz or even 5Ghz, especially if you get a delided i7-7700K, even better if binned.

Regarding improvements, you can check some threads here in IL-2 about VR and benchmarks. I felt a considerable difference overclocking both my old i7-3770K (4.7Ghz) and my current i5 (4.8Ghz). After all, these simulators are mostly single core applications / relying on a single core to do most of the job.

But since you are getting basically the same chip just unlocked, I'm not sure if it is worthy.

I have a 7700k with a custom loop. Its not my favorite CPU. Not a great overclocker.

Depending on your budget I would suggest upgrading to a new CPU/Mobo.

Personally I don't think the upgrade to an unlocked K model is worth any of your money.

1 hour ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I have a 7700k with a custom loop. Its not my favorite CPU. Not a great overclocker.

Depending on your budget I would suggest upgrading to a new CPU/Mobo.

Personally I don't think the upgrade to an unlocked K model is worth any of your money.

His system is all in one (Alienware). So any updates are not as simple as if he had a custom build, but I disagree on the unloocked K model. His i7-7700 max four cores at 4Ghz if I'm not mistaken (just one core gets to 4.2Ghz). If he overclocks an unlocked CPU to 5Ghz, you will see a big difference in simulators like Il-2, DCS, Xplane 11.

Can't say for sure, depending on the monitor, VR, settings, but 1Ghz ahead is a lot for a simulator. But it would require some tweaking, probably a delid or a binned chip. For who has the money, nothing is wasted.

Good luck getting it to 5ghz in an-all in-one.

Again, coming from someone who currently has a 7700k with a full custom loop with plenty of radiators, I do not recommend you to "upgrade" to the K version. It's a waste of money.

He does not need 'radiators' on the plural. If he does not get a bad chip in terms of voltage, a 240mm AIO rad will take it to 4.8Ghz. With a delid, 5Ghz is very likely.

Over the years the voltage dropped and the clock got higher. The myth that the i7-7700K was hot is just because it clocked higher on the four cores. So it came from factory with a mild overclock and people were having trouble with 120mm rads and cheap air coolers.

But the silicon lottery is real. If you get a dog, it might be hard to get to 4.8Ghz. But you have to try.

Edited by SeaW0lf

Thanks for the info/insight. It's a R6 so mobo is Dell. Unique and can't be changed. 

I'm going to start over with maxi build. I knew I made a mistake buying a pre-built. But if I were rocking a monitor it would be a non issue. But VR requires plenty of cpu/gpu.

Appreciate all the advice 

B

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 12/11/2019 at 8:44 PM, JG51_jokkr said:

Thanks for the info/insight. It's a R6 so mobo is Dell. Unique and can't be changed. 

I'm going to start over with maxi build. I knew I made a mistake buying a pre-built. But if I were rocking a monitor it would be a non issue. But VR requires plenty of cpu/gpu.

Appreciate all the advice 

B

On the up side, you might be able to sell the pre-built and not take a total loss on it. For the new build, as others have said, 9600K with a 240mm AIO and 3200-CAS14 ram, and a 2070 Super (or better, for all components) is the way to go for smooth VR frame rates. As I have said in other threads, NVMe is just burning money for gaming, get a regular SATA3 SSD and put the cash you save into the other components.

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2019 at 6:41 PM, SeaW0lf said:

He does not need 'radiators' on the plural. If he does not get a bad chip in terms of voltage, a 240mm AIO rad will take it to 4.8Ghz. With a delid, 5Ghz is very likely.

Over the years the voltage dropped and the clock got higher. The myth that the i7-7700K was hot is just because it clocked higher on the four cores. So it came from factory with a mild overclock and people were having trouble with 120mm rads and cheap air coolers.

But the silicon lottery is real. If you get a dog, it might be hard to get to 4.8Ghz. But you have to try.

And you are not speaking about delidding. I delidded my 8700k and it drop 15 degrees. This allowed me to have a more aggressive overclock.

Enjoy VR at the FPS you get now.

Wait for 3080 or 4080Ti and build a new computer then.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Gomoto said:

Enjoy VR at the FPS you get now.

Wait for 3080 or 4080Ti and build a new computer then.

Same is btw counting for new Intels CPU, new 14+++++ gen will be released at spring 2020. 

I did run an i7-7700k, it did count 5,1Ghz on all cores while I only did use an simple air cooler.  So being a bad overclocker, hell not, not after a delid, good paste/cooler and a good VRM Z270 mobo it can be above >5ghz reach.  But if the TS does have an non Zchipset board as it seems to be, I would not consider the exchange to the k. Right now I would then wait what Intel is bringing for spring.

edit: And if not being an overclocker check also AMD’s CPU deals. 

Edited by Dutch2
  • Like 1

I decided to wait. Figured this week CES might be worth seeing before jumping

thanks to everyone

bob