Does anyone have any experience of this ?

It's always crashed every so often, but it's going down in under 1 minute every time today, impossible to get anything done.

For what it's worth, about 80% of crashes seem to happen when I'm right click / dragging the map.

Is there perhaps a file I could delete that might clear out the cobwebs ?

Cheers, S!

I'll get random crashes. I think it's because I'm doing to many edits without saving the mission. So try more saves... 

Though I have had a couple missions that I have no idea what I did that would just crash shortly after opening or when I'd reopen them; so I ended up deleted them. But that's 2-3 missions in over 400 hours of editing. 

Yes - the editor is a crash-fest.

Crashes are a gigantic Fu%&ing time waste.

It's been way too long - this is not a new problem.

Edited by Gambit21

It's eased off a bit tonight, seems to be worse when working with large numbers of blocks.

Cntrl S every move - and it could really do with a level or two of undo !

Anyway cheers for the replies - on we bash.

S!

It's ridiculous  - I've had 5 MF'ing crashes since I made that last post an hour ago.

They need to give us a stable editor.

Phew I`m glad I`m not the only one whose mission editor crashes so much!

Today I destroyed 2 hours of mission making work by forgetting to save and have the mission editor crash on me. Sad times! 😭

Lost some work with the last one, got on a roll and wasn't saving as often as I usually do.

I'm also very busy with the ME, but crashes persist, I do not have. From time to time Yes but not regularly.

You’re not working with larger mission files I’m guessing.

Must be some really big mission to crash that much... I admit mine are smaller, simpler mission, a few larger ones I'm working on but what I end up doing is using a few versions of the mission.

1. Backup - Full size mission plus a backup
  2. Save/As Version - save/as before editing to keep previous versions in tact. 
  3. Stripped down version - I'll use a stripped down version of the mission with only key elements I need to work on additional groups. Then place, adjust, and test the groups in the stripped down version. Export/import/s into place to the full version.  Make miner adjustments. If I have a problem, I delete the group from the full version, go back to the stripped down version to test/fix. The rinse/repeat the export/import to the full version.

Probably not a workflow that wold work work for some. And this obviously won't work for a lot of edits. A little more work in file organization and deleting old version to cut down on needless storage space. But once my map gets to a certain size, I try to do as much editing as I can in a stripped down version to manage memory.  

Then when opening the huge mission, I walk slower and save more often. It's a pretty memory intensive editor but most editor like this are.... 

Hope that helps. 

2 minutes ago, WWDriftwood said:

Must be some really big mission to crash that much...

No - nothing to do with "buggy" missions.

Your advice about working with smaller elements and placing them into the final build however is spot-on...I do this when possible, but it's not always feasible.

9 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Must be some really big mission to crash that much..

No - nothing to do with "buggy" missions.

Your advice about working with smaller elements and placing them into the final build however is spot-on...I do this when possible, but it's not always feasible.

I didn't say buggy mission.

I mean that must be some really big mission "to crash that much in ME" or crash the ME that much how ever you want to say it. 

I assume at some point the missions might be too large to edit depending on the authors computer specs. They'll work fine when you fly the mission, provided you can edit and save the mission without crashing ME. 😉 frustrating I'm sure.

Ahh...my fault.

I just misread.

Yeah pretty big mission files.

I have a project coming up later that will have to be built in layers/separate files I think.

My system however should be able to run 15 editors at one time without crashing.

I run high end 3D apps with no issues...it's the Editor...it needs work.

I find about 90% of crashes are when dragging the map, on current mission with 400+ waypoints. I am also convinced that smaller drags crash less often than longer ones, although I could be imagining this. After a long time using the MR at one sitting the mind does tend to play tricks.... 

Using the "find mission elements" and "move camera to object" routine seems much more reliable, but of course takes a bit longer.

I have a feeling that actively separating stuff to the groups helps. I mean when I plan to paste a big previously created group, I create a blank one to the mission tree first using two dummy blocks and only then paste it.

And during the dragging the mapbase should be the plain map and not the textured version.

I also do save&close to ME occasionally after I've imported something big there.

Happens when I'm just starting a mission, as was the case yesterday, so amount of content doesn't seem to be the cause here.

At it's worst yesterday was when I was trying to delete most of the Arras Map objects outwith the action area, before anything else was inserted (except a few fires come to think of it - I get the feeling effects are a bit of a strain on this game).

I did get one decent run at it after that, but it came back with vengence.. of course !

12 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

They need to give us a stable editor.

'They' have made quite clear their attitude to the ME and by extension our ability to create our own missions. The statement in question I consider to be most revealing, and you don't need to search very far to read it.

Honestly, I had about two crashes in over one year now. Reading this thread is the complete opposite of my experience. 

Question is: why is there such a huge difference here

Edited by HBB*Hunger

2 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

'They' have made quite clear their attitude to the ME and by extension our ability to create our own missions. The statement in question I consider to be most revealing, and you don't need to search very far to read it.

Can you post a link ?

8 hours ago, HBB*Hunger said:

Honestly, I had about two crashes in over one year now. Reading this thread is the complete opposite of my experience. 

Question is: why is there such a huge difference here

Working with really big maps, not saving often enough is probably the overall difference. Of course the ME could use some work but I believe no matter how ME is updated, the size of a map and saving will still come into play. 

I just use it for what it is and enjoy it... maybe will get some updates in the future. 

I find the mission editor crashes eventually when I have been changing my working group a lot. I get into the habit of saving after I finish tweaking a group, because changing group leads to crashes fairly often (whether it's the change in group selection or the camera move that causes it I don't know).

I like the idea of multiple maps for different mission elements. I already do that with the groups themselves, it would maybe help with the editing too.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:38 AM, Gambit21 said:

You’re not working with larger mission files I’m guessing.

Me yes, and i don't have the same amount of crash.  But as we already talked, i don't use some features you use a lot.

Edited by Habu

Heavily loaded maps crash a lot. The use of cameras make also a lot of crashes. Movving the map zooming in and out crashes.

The longest period without a crash when working intensively on the map in my case the Kuban map, is about 15 minutes maximum. Sure if you do nothing then it may last hours.

I cannot believe that the devs work with this tool and accept such a loss of time and productivity.

You remember recently when I explained that the ME was given upon request from the players but was not really supported. I got an immediate strong reaction saying that the ME was supported by Jason.

Sorry guys. Crashing like this and not just having this properly repaired since years now means that the ME IS NOT SUPPORTED.

13 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

Heavily loaded maps crash a lot. The use of cameras make also a lot of crashes. Movving the map zooming in and out crashes.

The longest period without a crash when working intensively on the map in my case the Kuban map, is about 15 minutes maximum. Sure if you do nothing then it may last hours.

I cannot believe that the devs work with this tool and accept such a loss of time and productivity.

You don't know what i'm talking about, and how i use it. So yes i use it intensively, but not the 3D view which i used a few time, only to put arf_sign and some object. But i use zoom and movement a lot in 2D mode. I can use the editor for some hours on all the maps, most of the time. I have some crashs, but not so much, and not as i can have in the past. 

When i work on a heavy mission, and i want to load another one, i always close the editor, and load the other mission, because, i know that loading the second mission can crash the editor.

Another thing, i wait that the saving process is finished before doing something else. There is an * in the name of the file on the top of the screen. When you save, and when the save is finished, the sign is not displayed any more.

13 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

Sorry guys. Crashing like this and not just having this properly repaired since years now means that the ME IS NOT SUPPORTED.

It's suported, but it's not the priority.

Edited by Habu

I too use not much the 3D view. I use the 3D view for setting cameras right. Otherwise its 90% zooming and moving 2D around the map.

But I have a very loaded map in all sense. I will make public the campaign some day, surely faster without crashes 🙂 

One thing I should add is that I work on a 4K - 43" monitor. It is a very large image with lots of pixels. Maybe this does not help.

Edited by IckyATLAS

Most of the crashes I get I have found that more than 1 item in the mission tree is open. If I close all groups and keep them closed unless I am actually working on those items I get many fewer crashes. Then there is the one where you miss when selecting an effect object. That causes a crash every time. Also if I open more than 1 mission in a short period of time it crashes, but if the Mission tree is completely closed each time it does not. 

There are are various causes, but for me the easiest one to avoid is keeping multiple groups open in the mission tree. I only get 2 or 3 random crashes in a half day of working in the Editor if I remember to keep the groups closed.

i have never noticed ME crashes being related to the 3D view. I use it fairly frequently to look around at the placement of things and check elevations and I don’t remember that ever causing a crash for me.

maybe it’s different with different hardware or software configurations.

I haven't found the groups open in the mission tree to matter - for me personally.

I often get a  crash immediately before having a chance to open more than one group.

In any case, the number of crashes that we're experiencing is unacceptable.

I'm not sure to understand the crash with group. May you do a video to help me to understand and try to reproduce it, because i didn't detect any crash with groups.

Gambit, may you do the same, if you have a process to reproduce a crash.

I am not able to relate crashes to a group. To cameras yes (I have about twenty) but it is not systematic. The vast majority is during zooming on the 2D Map.

It is difficult to say if it happens when there are more or less icons displayed. In my case besides objects I have a lot of other icons and I have a very large number of links of all types.

The filters, and well organizing the groups make it that you never have too cluttered display,  but I had crashes in all type of configurations, so difficult to find a pattern.

Over time I have noticed very clearly that the frequency of the crashes is related to the size of the map and the size and complexity of the mission. But again all this is more memory or more data in memory to handle. My feeling is that the memory handling of the Editor may be an issue. The ME works in connection with IL2. Maybe the link between the two application is an issue.

I must also say that I never had crashes when I play the missions even the most heavy of them (if you remember ships, trains vehicles and 75 flying planes). IL2 play them flawlessly and I have no issue at all. Scripted campaigns also run perfect on IL2. Conclusion the problem is really in the ME.

I still have no answer about how often the ME used by the devs to create missions and campaigns does crash. A little bit of transparency here can help.

After all we spend so many hours of our time on this tool, we should deserve some answers.

15 hours ago, Habu said:

I'm not sure to understand the crash with group. May you do a video to help me to understand and try to reproduce it, because i didn't detect any crash with groups.

Gambit, may you do the same, if you have a process to reproduce a crash.

I have no way to reproduce it, it happens for all the reasons outlines in the "flood" area in beta.

16 hours ago, Habu said:

I'm not really sure how to do a video of working in the ME, but I am reasonably sure I can reproduce the ME crashes if I can figure that out.

I use Bandicam which have 2 mode, one for game and one for the desktop. Using the desktop, you can record the ME.

On 12/13/2019 at 12:16 AM, Habu said:

@Habu I have attached a link to a video file. Excuse my slow typing I did not edit the screen recording.

I start by opening a mission, swapping flight positions of 2 planes and then closing mission. Then I open another mission, do same task, do not close groups in mission tree, and when I open next mission... CTD. 

Repeatable and recorded for your enjoyment.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/08rqb3tbyigwaiw/Mission_Editor_Crash.zip/file

Thanks for looking into it. I can record the crash if you miss when clicking on an effect MCU also if that helps. That one happens more often than not.

On 12/12/2019 at 8:18 PM, IckyATLAS said:

You remember recently when I explained that the ME was given upon request from the players but was not really supported. I got an immediate strong reaction saying that the ME was supported by Jason.

Sorry, but my maps are definately heavily loaded. I never had a crash zooming in or out, nor did it crashed when using a lot of cams. 

The only reason the ME crashes for me so far is, if I group link an active entety to a static block. 

Dont get me wrong, I do not say that the ME is flawless or that you are wrong, but the ME is absolutely fine for me and crashes are more than rare for me. 

v3P7YA2.jpg

13 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

@Habu I have attached a link to a video file. Excuse my slow typing I did not edit the screen recording.

I start by opening a mission, swapping flight positions of 2 planes and then closing mission. Then I open another mission, do same task, do not close groups in mission tree, and when I open next mission... CTD. 

Repeatable and recorded for your enjoyment.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/08rqb3tbyigwaiw/Mission_Editor_Crash.zip/file

Thanks for looking into it. I can record the crash if you miss when clicking on an effect MCU also if that helps. That one happens more often than not.

Thank you for the video.

In your video you have the crash when you load several mission one after one. For that one, i always close my editor and relaunch it before loading a new mission.

About the Groups, i'm not sure it crashs the editor, i can open, close my group (with2 or 3 subgroups) and load another mission with group open without crash. I think that the crash is related to the point above.

About formation movment and change.

I crashed the editor in doing the same thing as you, but not all the time.

3 hours ago, HBB*Hunger said:

Sorry, but my maps are definately heavily loaded. I never had a crash zooming in or out, nor did it crashed when using a lot of cams. 

The only reason the ME crashes for me so far is, if I group link an active entety to a static block. 

Dont get me wrong, I do not say that the ME is flawless or that you are wrong, but the ME is absolutely fine for me and crashes are more than rare for me. 

v3P7YA2.jpg

It's the kind of mission i have with no crash using zoom in/out like you.