Sign in to follow this  
NETSCAPE

Anyone into HONDA ATC's?

I grew up riding a Big Red on my Great Grandparents farm. About 20 years later I find myself with a growing fascination of 1980s HONDA ATC's. I just recently bought a '85 200x. I figured this would be a good one to learn on. And maybe from there go for a 350x and or a 250r. I'm not a gear-head by any means but my roomate  is a mechanic. Another friend of mine is rebuilding a 250r. So with their help I should be able to get her up and running smooth(er).

ATC200X_1985_US_1.jpg.ac7ba7c3fd78db4fc846e5bbec478c39.jpg

nb4 3 wheelers will kill you. 

• Upvote 1

Eh...no.

I had a 350X back in the day, too much power for something with 3 wheels.

I was good, but still had some close calls.

Moved on to quads and dirtbikes.

If I want that ATC feeling again I'll fill a shopping cart full of bowling balls and take a few fast turns.

A VERY dangerous  fun vehicle.

Mine already has a beat up body. I already have accepted the fact that at least a couple low speed rolls are going to take place. But I will ease into it. 

i had a bycicle, then a ktm 500, then a suzuki 500gs with which i broke my leg so i went to safer sims

• Haha 1

I thought those damned thing were outlawed.

Even quads with throw you - these things will kill you.

7 minutes ago, CUJO_1970 said:

I thought those damned thing were outlawed.

Never, manufacturers just couldn't continue to sell them.

I know guys who rode conservatively for years and never had a problem.

When you ride like I did, drifting fire roads at 45-50mph, taking jumps etc, you're bound to have a big problem sooner or later.

I sold it and got a Quad before that happened, and like you said even a Quad can really hurt you, or a dirt bike etc. 

The 3 wheelers are much more likely to kill a stupid person though/sooner than a Quad...though nobody is immune in any case.

No question they are inherently unstable, and given the existence of quads, I don't get the attraction other than dirt cheap most likely.

Got some gravel roads along the farm I'm on along with some logging roads up into the woods to mob on. 

I picked up a 200x for $700. It just needs basic maintenance and tuned up and hopefully will be good to go. Not only are they cheap, parts are readily available since so many people still ride them. Also those 250r's mob in the dunes if that's your thing. 

I loved my 3 wheelers!

Had several, but the 200 was the best. I went all over hell's half acre with it. When I moved to the boonies 30 years back it was my primary vehicle. I'd go for groceries on it at -30, 20km round trip. I frickin' loved that thing.

(Net pic, not mine)

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1