No_85_Gramps

Delete vehicle in a convoy

I've noticed that a convoy on a road will navigate around damaged/destroyed vehicles that are in the convoy, but once on a bridge a damaged/destroyed vehicle will not be passable by any remaining vehicles. In this particular situation I have a convoy of tanks/halftracks and once on the bridge the lead tank sometimes loses a track due to enemy fire, which stalls the rest of the convoy. Try as I may, I have not been able to figure out how to delete the lead tank so the convoy can proceed. I've tried ondamaged/ondestroyed events connected to delete and disable but they do not work. I know a destroyed vehicle should delete after about 8 minutes, but that does not help. I'm wondering if the fact that it's a convoy, with a formation command, has anything to do with it. As a side note you may want to look at the screenshot I posted in that forum that shows the outcome of the convoy.

If you spawn them in, then the Formation command won't work.

Assuming you don't want them to re-spawn, try Activate at the start of the mission, then point your On Damaged to a timer (presumably a short one), and from that use De-Activate which should make it disappear.

Vehicle columns are pretty frustrating.

They'll still bump into things, each other, and break down given half the chance.

And even if they're not all connected to a lead vehicle, they all start to turn as soon as the lead hits the waypoint.

Creates all sorts of problems getting them to go where you want.

Good Luck,

S!

Edited by Zooropa_Fly

Thanks Zooropa_Fly! Will give that a try. I agree that the columns can be frustrating and they sometimes have a mind of their own!

You can delete the tank by using the Delete MCU. But if you have a tank convoy then if you delete the leader you have no more convoy. 

I do not remember (I tested this long time ago) that the system will allocate leadership to the second still running tank and reallocate the waypoints to it.

The only solution I see is a convoy but made by individual tanks. You have then to manage the speed and separation between each tank.

You have also to craft individual trajectories. Then you can delete the tank you want to delete, without impact on the others.

One way to do it is to have an OnEvent trigger of the OnDamaged type of event and then trigger the Delete command that will be linked (Purple line) to the tank. You  can do this to each tank in your convoy. In this way every time a tank is Damaged (up to you to specify the damage threshold in the Tank Advance Parameters) it will just immediately disappear. Not very realistic but it solves the problem.

This solution above is to be used for tanks that are crippled but not destroyed or Killed.

Otherwise there is the Tank parameter Delete after Death checkbox that you can have checked and which eventually makes the tank disappear but after some burning time, but only when the tank is Killed or completely destroyed. It does not work if the tank is only crippled.

Edited by IckyATLAS

Thanks IckyATLAS! I just tested and unfortunately it does deactivate the whole convoy. I was thinking along the same line as you at that point, making the convoy up from individual vehicles. More testing to be done later today. Thanks again for the help.

For each vehicle link A On killed event to timer link to a delete command link to the vehicle.

Thanks Habu! One version I tried was a direct link from the vehicle to the delete command, which did not work, hoping that the timer changes things. I've recently found a couple of other items that need the timer for them to function correctly.

I was not able to get this to work no matter what logic I tried. I'm pretty sure that it may have something to do with the formation command. Only on the bridge does a damaged/destroyed tank prevent the convoy from continuing. It would be way to much work to make up a convoy of individual vehicles that has to navigate through a city. I just going to leave it as is for now, as long as the allied fighters do their job the convoy will make it across the bridge. Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions!

Unless there's something I don't know about (quite possible), if you spawn in the vehicles the formation command doesn't work.

If you 'Activate' them in then it does and they behave a bit better. They won't re-spawn if you do this though.

When they get damaged / killed, you can use that to 'Activate' other vehicles, but after a quick go the other day I wasn't able to figure out an 'Activate' loop whereby object #2 reactivates object #1 and so forth.

You wouldn't think moving a few vehicles up and down a road would be so much hassle.

Anyway, keeping it simple is usually best with this ME.

S!

• Like 1