CockEyed

New player advise

Hello

I'm lookin to get back into the combat flight MMO and after doing research decided to give IL-2 a try. I was and long time player of Fighter Ace back in the day. I have tried WT but they make it way to complicated to fly with a stick and using keyboard and mouse just feels unnatural to me.

There seems to be many different IL2 games and I am wondering which is most popular and has the largest amount of players fighting each other online?

Where do I start to get into the best online action?

I would start at the beginning 

Buy Battle of Stalingrad from the store on this site. (click IL-2 header at top of page) 

You will have access to all maps in MP and have a balanced mid war  plane set which allow you to participate in most of the servers. 

When you have found your feet (there is a lot to learn) you can purchase the other content which interests you most. 

When you buy one title you download all content from BoX series but can only fly yourself in aircraft you have purchased and on the map(s)/career from that title offline. All maps available to you on line 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2019 at 12:51 AM, CockEyed said:

flight MMO

Could you please elaborate on this part? I wouldn't consider Il-2 an MMO, it's just a regular singleplayer / multiplayer game. 

On 12/7/2019 at 6:51 PM, CockEyed said:

Hello

I'm lookin to get back into the combat flight MMO and after doing research decided to give IL-2 a try. I was and long time player of Fighter Ace back in the day. I have tried WT but they make it way to complicated to fly with a stick and using keyboard and mouse just feels unnatural to me.

There seems to be many different IL2 games and I am wondering which is most popular and has the largest amount of players fighting each other online?

Where do I start to get into the best online action?

Welcome! The IL-2 series sounds like it might work out well for you being much more serious and setup well for joystick flying with plenty of realism but also being somewhat accessible.

I've written two things that may help you get started with the series. First, I did an IL-2 buyers guide back in 2018 which more or less still applies now although I am intending to write an update in early 2020. You can read that here: https://stormbirds.blog/2018/08/18/the-il-2-series-buyers-guide-2018-edition/

I also just wrote a full review of IL-2: Battle of Bodenplatte which is the latest title in the series but it's also reflective of what is happening with the series on the whole. No matter which title you buy in the series, you'll be fully up to date and playing with the latest refinements and features. Full review here: https://stormbirds.blog/2019/12/03/il-2-battle-of-bodenplatte-full-review/

I hope those might help you out!

• Upvote 1

Shamrock, thanks for the links to your StormBirds blog.  The buyers' guide was interesting, although I had already picked up Battle of Moscow during the recent sale.  I've been away from flight sims for the last decade or so due to various RL issues, but hope to spend some of my year-end break getting back into IL-2.

• Like 1