Jump to content
Blitzen

Pimax5K XR OLED?

Recommended Posts

I noticed that there is a new version of the 5K that I currently own : Pimax 5K XR OLED that has new OLED panels and claims to eliminate SDE entirely.I was looking into getting the new 8K headsets at some future date but perhaps these new 5KXR would be a better choice esp. if there is a trade in possible. So ant techie out there to give me some advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey,

the 5K XR is as "old" as the 5K+. It has OLED panels on a pentile matrix with 2 subpixels (instead of 3 like on the 5k+), hence higher SDE than 5k+.

I haven't seen it claiming to eleminate SDE entirely, that's what the Samsung Odyssey+ does. If it does claim that anywhere, it's BS.

 

Save your money and best look at 8K+ (release in 3 weeks, to Christian New Year) or 8KX (release March '20) instead. 😁👍

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Hey,

the 5K XR is as "old" as the 5K+. It has OLED panels on a pentile matrix with 2 subpixels (instead of 3 like on the 5k+), hence higher SDE than 5k+.

I haven't seen it claiming to eleminate SDE entirely, that's what the Samsung Odyssey+ does. If it does claim that anywhere, it's BS.

 

Save your money and best look at 8K+ (release in 3 weeks, to Christian New Year) or 8KX (release March '20) instead. 😁👍

Good advice...I'll start saving my pennies...but it will take some time & a lot of pennies for that 8K!

SnoopyNiceFunnelweaverspider-small.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a tough question.

 

Nvidia's 3080ti with 5% more performance for 30% more money, or the Pimax8KX delayed from summer 2019 to winter 2019 to spring 2020. 

 

Goddamnit. How did I get myself into this... 😂

 

 

Anyway, I'll be happy with the first Gen 2.0 VR headset. I hope so. I'm prepared to fiddle around with it for hours once it arrives, and neither drink nor eat until it works.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always will look forward to your review and sage advice....

xxx.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a backer of the Pimax5K+ so I can place the order of the Pimax8KX at a good price before 31st-Dec.

But I am not sure to give Pimax a second opportunity. I am quite happy with the Index except for one thing: the weight and ergonomy.

 

The new Pimax8KX fixing seems to cover a bigger area of the face, so this will helps to distribute the pressure but you don´t know that until you try it with your own face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

I was a backer of the Pimax5K+ so I can place the order of the Pimax8KX at a good price before 31st-Dec.

But I am not sure to give Pimax a second opportunity. I am quite happy with the Index except for one thing: the weight and ergonomy.

 

The new Pimax8KX fixing seems to cover a bigger area of the face, so this will helps to distribute the pressure but you don´t know that until you try it with your own face.

How’sthe SDE with the Index?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

How’sthe SDE with the Index?

It is a bit better than Pimax5K+ but worse than Reverb. But I am a guy who SDE doesn´t affect too much.

The best thing of the index is the quality of the lenses and the clarity along almost all FOV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if the 3080 is not doubling the performance of my 1080 at a lower price than the 2080, I will wait for the 4080 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the 5K+, the Samsung Odyssey Velour Cover by VRCover is mandatory btw. Very soft, and close to the lenses, and clarity as if you pull the Index lenses all close. If you go with the standard cushion or a thick Vive cushion, "you didn't fiddle enough, be advised". The thinner the better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

For the 5K+, the Samsung Odyssey Velour Cover by VRCover is mandatory btw. Very soft, and close to the lenses, and clarity as if you pull the Index lenses all close. If you go with the standard cushion or a thick Vive cushion, "you didn't fiddle enough, be advised". The thinner the better.  

the samsung Odyssey plus or the cover for the normal Odyssey?

ah i know only the normal is velour, am i Right ?

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Samsung Odyseey (non-plus) VRCover, yes, it is velour 👌

 

But be aware, you'll be very close to the lenses. Eye lashes may be touching them, so you got to clean the lenses for every session. Also, during the first 2-3 minutes, the lenses usually fog up due to the VRCover velour cushion being very isolating. Also, since you will be closer, you'll need to put in a smaller IPD. If you got a big nose that already touches the lenses, you may want to know this. So, these are the downsides of it. The increase in visual clarity however outweights it for me though.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 12:59 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

The Samsung Odyseey (non-plus) VRCover, yes, it is velour 👌

 

But be aware, you'll be very close to the lenses. Eye lashes may be touching them, so you got to clean the lenses for every session. Also, during the first 2-3 minutes, the lenses usually fog up due to the VRCover velour cushion being very isolating. Also, since you will be closer, you'll need to put in a smaller IPD. If you got a big nose that already touches the lenses, you may want to know this. So, these are the downsides of it. The increase in visual clarity however outweights it for me though.

thx, vr cover velour ordered and its on the way from Thailand to me already

,regarding the ipd i will see.

also ordered the comfort kit from pimax,but i am very sure Nothing will happen this year!

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...