Varibraun

A Decade Later – 1st Post with Many Thanks! (and a community recommended reading list)

I've got those particular keys, but in the spirit of your post, you might be happy to hear that after reading the Biggles books with her, my daughter chose to read Storm of Steel next.  :)

That's the spirit. I own everything and gifted a lot of licenses too. So no need to participate for me. But guys like You keep the community alive! 

21 minutes ago, Varibraun said:

Finally - Semper Fi! to all my old (and young) Marine Corps brethren that I see in these forums.

Nice post Varibraun:salute:.  

I'm not entering this nice giveaway thanks but if you were a rifleman in the Corp I can thoroughly recommend this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quartered-Safe-George-MacDonald-Fraser/dp/0007105932/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2XYXT8M37UMBA&keywords=quartered+safe+out+here&qid=1575680598&sprefix=quartered+safe%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-1

It really is one of the great memoirs of WW2.

• Upvote 1

Now that's what I call a nice writing, plus a good thing to give people the chance to have a new module :)

i  wish to have Flying Circus vol 1 and my fav book is A Farewell to Arms, by Ernest Hemingway and Goodbye to all that by Robert Graves

I pick number 5, 

also i wish this but my first preference is Flying Circus vol 1 :

- Battle of Bodenplatte 

- MC.202 Series VIII

Thanks

Edited by Geoweb35

Nice of you to offer to share. :drinks:

WWI book: The Price of Glory by Alistair Horne, about the Battle of Verdun. Excellent book.

And I second Storm of Steel. Very good book!

41 minutes ago, Geoweb35 said:

i  wish to have Flying Circus vol 1 and my fav book is A Farewell to Arms, by Ernest Hemingway and Goodbye to all that by Robert Graves

I pick number 5, 

Great start and guess!  One Flying Circus off the runway to Geoweb.  Thanks for the book recommendations everyone else too.  

I will check back in tomorrow...

9 minutes ago, Varibraun said:

Great start and guess!  One Flying Circus off the runway to Geoweb.  Thanks for the book recommendations everyone else too.  

I will check back in tomorrow...

Thank you very much, i have received a perfect gift   :yahoo:

Edited by Geoweb35

WWII book: - I can't pick a favorite, but recently finished Zemke's Wolf Pack (as told to Roger A. Freeman) and that was great.

WWI book recently finished - The Royal Flying Corps in World War I - Ralph Barker (and it was interesting).

Wish is for  Flying Circus vol 1 (I see you still have one left).

I pick number 11

my favourite is Mein Flugbuch by Gunther Rall. he's a legend. "shorty, where's my thumb!?"

I would love a copy of Flying circus 

Number 15 :)

If I can recommend a book, it would be Scramble - A Narrative History of the Battle of Britain by Norman Gelb.  Not a new book by any means, but one I have read very recently, and may well read again very soon.  It is a collection of contemporary accounts, from the Fall of France to the culmination of the Battle of Britain.  Not just from the pilots, but from people of all walks of life.  Presented chronologically, each quote or passage is presented in the individuals own words.  Very much in the moment, without hindsight or the knowledge of what might happen next.  I found it extremely moving.

- News pretty bad - Germans now driving NW to cut through to Channel ports between us and French. French army not fighting...

We must fight on, whatever happens.   

I should count it a privilege to be dead if Hitler rules England.  I had not thought I should have to live through such awful days...

14677374233.thumb.jpg.b82c6ea740e27ee0ce4e2f148cd121e2.jpg

So that's the book I would recommend.  If I had to pick a number...  I think it would be 1 BoBp  :blush:

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Upvote 1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate_Is_the_Hunter

Fate is the hunter by Ernest. K. Gann

Probably my favourite book about flying and a must read for anyone interested in the subject 

As a strange twist I had just finished reading it, literally turned the last page and got the phone call I had been waiting for.... My first job flying C-54 as co-pilot in Angola (civil war) and the start of a great adventure /career 

Fate is indeed the hunter 😎

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Upvote 1

https://www.amazon.com/Battleship-Bismarck-Survivors-Story-Bluejacket-ebook/dp/B00BKRX1IA

Great read from the highest ranking survivor of the battleship Bismarck.  Burkard Baron von Müllenheim-Rechberg was the fourth gunnery officer on the ship, and had terrific insight into the operations of the vessel as well as interfacing with the Captain and others leading Operation Rheinübung.  I don't think you're going to find a better perspective on the life and death of Bismarck.  

I'll pick 19, and my preference would be BoBP, but Kuban or Stalingrad would be amazing as well.  Thank you very much for your generosity. :)

51dByj2KCBL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg

Edited by vipe155

Great post.

Not interested to the giveaway...

But I would suggest a great book

"The last enemy"

Richard Hillary

See  you in our virtual sky..

71XKiqTQuIL.jpg

Edited by ITAF_Rani

Very generous of you doing this - thanks a lot!

I´d be interested in FC Volume 1 and I pick #8

Recent books I´ve read and enjoyed were:

Spitfire on my tail by Ulrich Steinhilper

With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge

and currently I´m busy with Helmet for my pillow by Robert Leckie which I also enjoy :)

One of my favoritos is the autobiography of Manfred Von Richtofen. Surprisingly direct, natural, aseptic and unvarnished.

A Ju-52 would be great if it's still available :)

PD: Number 14 (I love raffles)

Edited by VBF-12_Pequod

Thank you Varibraun to make my day! I love to read Comprehensive and positive feedback. Nobody could have worded it better than you I guess! I would like to add one name to your list... SYN_Vander with his super Easy Mission Generator for Il-2. It generates single missions (unlike the campaign generator) but is imho powerful and Incredibly easy to use. I wish I could read assessments like yours here every day, because I too feel about il-2 just like you do! 

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much @Varibraun.

What a great post to read and I really appreciate the nice words!

And what a very nice gesture on your part with the giveaways, kudos!!

"Mein Kriegstagebuch: Aufzeichnungen eines Stukafliegers" is what i recommend. I believe this to be the english version: "Stuka Pilot: The War Memoirs of Hans-Ulrich Rudel".

# 4 for FC Vol. 1

Edited by DiscoPhil

Thanks for your inspirational post.

I don't want to participate in the give-away since I already own all products from the devs (though maybe my brother could want one - in this case I would throw my name in the hat for a FW190-A3). Nevertheless I want to share my book recommendation.

First something about my personal reasons for this recommendation (disclaimer):

Besides simulation games I have some other hobbys that occupy a huge part of my free time. One is comics (I even found myself a side job in comics distribution). There are many comics dealing with WWII, and enough comics dealing with WWII aviation, both fictional and historical, f.e. many books by Garth Ennis (writer of Preacher, The Boys, Hellblazer), like "Night Witches" or the War Stories series. Another hobby of mine is Japanes culture and history.

Therefore here in this thread I'd like to give you this manga as recommendation:

SHOWA HISTORY OF JAPAN 1926 -1989 by SHIGERU MIZUKI

Written and drawn by Shigeru Mizuki. His comics biography intertwines his own life story with the history and society of the Showa era of Emperor Hirohito with Japan's participation in WWII as centerpiece. Mizuki is best known in Japan for re-introducing Yokai fables in a modern context to today's society ( Yōkai = supernatural entities in Japanes folktales, oftentimes mischievous creatures). His later work became more and more autobiographical like his story about a group of doomed Japanese soldiers in the jungles of SE asia (""Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths""). His art style needs getting used to if you're coming from a more mainstream western audience - use of photocopied historical photos as background for the overall setting is complemented with an almost naive style for his drawn protagonists in the trenches. His personal part in the story is a description of his early life with his relatives, how he got in the army as a young man, the war in the jungle, how he got wounded and lost an arm, how he got a job as an artist in post-war Japan and still lived in poverty and how he experienced the transformation of his country into what it is now.

Its english translation is published by Drawn & Quarterly ( website ) in four volumes.

If you want to buy it in a comic shop and they have to re-order it, you need the product codes shown here:

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP131142

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR141133

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/AUG141429

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/APR151419

STK651986.png

Edited by ADorante
clarifications & typos & grammar

I consider Gallands book and Günther Ralls book as too boring to be honest. The best of the best flying books i have ever read which was so detailed in aircombat was of Helmut Lipfert's book. "das Tagebuch des Hauptmann Lipfert".

Bildergebnis für helmut lipfert book

I read a lot but this book really is like being in IL2 Right now. It handles myths of Luftwaffepilots being supiorer, the very high amount of newbies durning the war and the biggest myth About german boom and zoom, which was not so in common as you might think, they were turning like Spitfire pilots.

This book is not so much a wehrboo book and a really must have! The best flying ww2 book ever written from german Point of view.

He also respects the People he shot down unlike other pilots in history.

Edited by [3./J88]PikAss
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, [3./J88]PikAss said:

I consider Gallands book and Günther Ralls book as too boring to be honest. The best of the best flying books i have ever read which was so detailed in aircombat was of Helmut Lipfert's book. "das Tagebuch des Hauptmann Lipfert".

Bildergebnis für helmut lipfert book

I read a lot but this book really is like being in IL2 Right now. It handles myths of Luftwaffepilots being supiorer, the very high amount of newbies durning the war and the biggest myth About german boom and zoom, which was not so in common as you might think, they were turning like Spitfire pilots.

This book is not so much a wehrboo book and a really must have! The best flying ww2 book ever written from german Point of view.

He also respects the People he shot down unlike other pilots in history.

Really good book..with a lot of intense actions !!

Tough question as there are so many great books.

Though the finest read I had - at leat in German - was "In Stahlgewittern" by Ernst Jünger - English title "Storm of Steel"

Being German I read more books in my own language so here are others I can recommend for anyone interested in the German perspective:

Mein Fliegerleben (My life of flying) - Ernst Udet - memoirs of WWI ace Ernst Udet - doesn't end with WWI and continues a little in the Weimar republic.

Grenadiere! (Grenadiers!) - commander of the 12th SS-Panzerdivision Kurt Meyer. Read with political alert as he ignores German atrocities and writes about every allied/soviet misbehaviour he witnessed - but very thrilling war stories!

Mein Kriegstagebuch (My War diary) - Stuka ace Hans-Ulrich Rudel. Political flawed but thrilling stories,

Die große Jagd (I flew for the Fuhrer) - defence of the reich fighter ace Heinz Knoke - very honest book.

Die ersten und die letzten (the first and the last) - Adolf Galland, General of the fighterst - very interesting book to understand the air war in the west and a good complimentary read to masters of the air.

and finally the only english 1st person narrative of the war I read (and propably a book most of here have read as well ^^):

First light by Geoffry Wellum.

I'd like to participate in your generous giveaway.

#17 for FC 1 (priority) or Mc 202 (secondary)

Edited by Eisenfaustus

Wow..very generous!

My fav book:

War in a Stringbag:

image.png.ac70d767a60b7adb8f56a18fc3fb06ac.png

My pick ist Fc Vol1 ,  guess it`s 13 :)

index.jpg.48b6062111a2b0e4e7263ed0a5874796.jpg

A Technical & operational History of the Liberty Engine is my favorite WW1 book, but as it isn't a narrative, I had better go with "I flew for the Führer" by Heinz Knoke. A intresting read with exotic weapons and tactics.

I loved your post, even without the giveaway.

Number 1. For FlyingCircus.Vol1, Ju 52,  FW-190 A-3 or Mc.202 :)

Edited by [DBS]Browning

Fantastic giveaway, Varibraun! There's no other gaming communicaty like the flight simmers! :)

Hard pressed to list a first person book in English as most of those that I've read were in Bulgarian. I will list two - 

One of First Division by Georgi Georgiev

edin-ot-pyrva-deviziq-bylgarska-istoriq.

The first hand story of an officer of the First Sofian Division - the Iron Division, as it was called, during the First World War. Full of both brutal combat, including hand to hand, on the supposedly "stale" fronts in the Balkans, both in Greece and Romania. A book that's shaped and moulded Bulgarian psyche to this day, even if many people don't know it.

Across my Memories by Stoyan Iliev

364051.jpg

Very touching memories from a participant in both World Wars.

Honorable mention (even though it's not first person) to Dragons on Bird Wings: The Combat History of the 812th Fighter Regiment

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdcKl3z7FFPSGn2SGfZVg

Very well researched and very beatifully prepared volume that is, as far as I know, the only unit history of a Soviet fighter unit in English (maybe at all). Only minus is that the publishing house is defunct and Volume II likely won't ever see the light of the day. The 812th was one of the best Soviet units, having destroyed over 500 enemy planes in the air. It's also one of the participants in both BoS and BoK. Do yourself a favour, find one of the few remaninig copies and treat yourself with an obscure subject that's related to our favourite sim!

My number is 8. Battle of Bodenplatte, as I have the rest of the WWII stable and Collector's Planes. ;) 

Thanks for giving the community this opportunity Varibraun! My favorite recently read memoir of ww2 has to be Samurai! by Saburo Sakai (well kind of by him anyway). A recent scholarly book that I would highly recommend that talks about Sakai's unit,  the Tainan Kokutai titled 'Eagles of the southern sky', on top of being excellent the book demolishes some bits of the narrative of Samurai!, for example the author calls the famous 'dance macabre ' performed over port moresby into question. 

Another great scholarly book is 

"Hunting Tito: A History of Nachtschlachtgruppe 7 in World War II" by Lovro Peršen about German night bombers in Yugoslavia, though in most cases the unit had the freedom to operate the hopelessly outdated machines during the day,  at least until the allies pushed forward to the point where Yugoslav airspace was highly contested. I do wish I could find a similar book for night bombers on the eastern front or the late war western front. 

Anyway, I'd like to roll for Flying Circus with a '7'

Another winner - 9./JG27golani79 takes off with the last Flying Circus!

Also, what a great response regarding the books.  I have read several posted and would agree with the recommendations.  But, there are many posted that I have not ever come across and look very forward to exploring over these next few months.  Again...thank you to this wonderful worldwide community!

Edited by Varibraun

Varibraun,

I'd like to second your post and thanks to all. Thanks for your generosity as well.  There are a couple of books listed here I've never heard of and will now seek out especially from the smaller countries. I'd like to add another:  Double Fighter Knight, the memoirs of Ilmari Juutilainen. He's a Finnish ace with 126 downs. The Finns have an incredible record even flying in second rate machines. Juutilainen started in a Brewster Buffalo and still managed 34 kills.

I'd be interested in Bodenplatte, Kuban or Moscow in that order. The lucky number, of course, is 13!

Cheers,

FC

12 hours ago, Voyager said:

I've got the keys I need, but I can highly recommend I Could Never be so Lucky Again by Jimmy Doolittle. It is aptly titled. 

Also no need to ask for anything despite this generous offering, but wanted to second the recommendation for this incredibly fascinating, entertaining and compelling look into the career of a true legend.  Absolutely a must-read!!!!

This community is such a breath of fresh air when I think back to the old Ubi days, full of absolutely top folks.

Onto my favourite book, it would have to be I Flew for the Fuhrer by Heinz Knoke, just really eye opening for me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Flew-Fuhrer-Heinz-Knocke-ebook/dp/B00BM4SLLS/ref=sr_1_5?crid=4EOZALWL8X3B&keywords=i+flew+for+the+fuhrer&qid=1575728108&sprefix=i+flew+for+the+%2Caps%2C1574&sr=8-5

As to the very generous gifts can I please take number 3 and be put into contention for

4.  Battle of Kuban – Standard

with the following as alternatives

11.  La-5FN Series 2

12.  Yak-1b

1.  Battle of Bodenplatte – Premium

Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, Varibraun said:

Another winner - 9./JG27golani79 takes off with the last Flying Circus!

Also, what a great response regarding the books.  I have read several posted and would agree with the recommendations.  But, there are many posted that I have not ever come across and look very forward to exploring over these next few months.  Again...thank you to this wonderful worldwide community!

I just wanted to thank you for the key - much appreciated!

And yes - seems like a lot of good book recommendations.

I am sure here I´ll find a few to read as well  :)