danielprates

What would you sacrifice in the graphics settings in order to have better performance?

Well... what the title says. 

Kuban kinda reached the limit of what my rig can do, and BoBp certainly surpassed it. I am fiddling with the graphics settings to reduce the burden on my Video card (or perhaps its a processor issue?), so I am curious: what features of the settings do you guys miss less - in other words, what settings you guys cut off without regret and what settings you feel are best left up?

Grass is something I reduce because the only time you really ever deal with it is when on the ground...

I reduce shadows to the lower setting as well as there's not a huuuge difference 

Yes, turning shadows down (especially from "High") can help a lot - in my case, I gained almost 30% increase simply dropping to "medium" - and it still looks good. Also, cloud detail can have an impact too (though I find its level much more visually noticeable vs shadows).

This thread may be of interest - you can toy around with various settings and actually measure their impact over the benchmark.

Edited by Redwo1f

Funny that you mention this. I was just playing with the settings and I managed to get between 200 and 300 FPS on my i5-6500/GTX1060 by turning everything off or to its lowest setting, and flying completely alone over an empty part of the Stalingrad winter map. It really didn't look that bad. And in a dogfight I hit around 150+FPS.

I don't mind that the software is more sophisticated than my hardware. I want the software to keep pushing forward. I prefer that I have to catch up to it then it have to catch up to me.

10 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I don't mind that the software is more sophisticated than my hardware. I want the software to keep pushing forward. I prefer that I have to catch up to it then it have to catch up to me.

Yup that's a no-brainer. There is no stopping progress. I will soon enough upgrade a bit. What I was asking actually was, which settings we really don't miss? 

Some good points above. Grass for instance. Yeah, its only for 20 seconds! Shadows don't seem all that important too.

I’m an eye candy man. I’ll push the envelope towards graphics rather than fretting over FPS. If it seems smooth to my eye then I’m happy.

With my current situation the last piece to be placed in my rig in 2017 was the 1080ti. To spend that kind of money on the newer series for only  slight improvement to me doesn’t warrant the expenditure. Now, my 5930K is beginning to show its age. Dollar for dollar I’d be better upgrading the CPU chip, which also means unfortunately a new MOBO due to the socket. And for whatever reason seems like high end MOBO’s have gone through the roof with their pricing.

11 minutes ago, danielprates said:

Yup that's a no-brainer. There is no stopping progress. I will soon enough upgrade a bit. What I was asking actually was, which settings we really don't miss? 

Some good points above. Grass for instance. Yeah, its only for 20 seconds! Shadows don't seem all that important too.

I tend to lower the grass and the shadows. I know those two hit hard on my machine.

Well on Kuban when flying alone i get excellent performance in VR on high settings, problems appear when there is more than 10 AI units.

That is also big problem in BoBp career, flying p51 cover is always 5-10 p51's plus 5-10 bombers add to it enemy fighters  and ground units it become stutter hell.

To the subject: i sacrifice shadows, gras and visibility bubble (forrest rendering bubble).

Grass could not care for except for tank gameplay...

shadows for me are a must... too low a setting and you don’t see shadows of yourself or other planes on the ground.

its very useful for spotting...

Dont tuch grass, man ppl need it, lower resolution 800x600 first, and leve grass as high as you can. You can totaly get rid of it by seting it to grass_distance = 0.00000 in startup.cfg

If your not using Ultra you can use balanced insted high for example, visaualy makes no big differance. 

Distances of textures and buildings can give you boost if you lower from max, and clouds also. But if its procesor is thing that is problem try lower your res from max and see what you get.

Edited by 77.CountZero

4 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

If your not using Ultra you can use balanced insted high for example, visaualy makes no big differance. 

Well, for me dropping from "High" down to "Balanced" sure messes up  the sky, for one thing, regardless of the cloud settings - noticeable and bothersome.

What is your current hardware? For me, I found grass and clouds had no really impact on my fps, but mirrors and shadows were both significant. 

If you are using High Preset you Cannot have high Detail Clouds 
clouds High only works on Ultra Preset.

Reductions needed.
Less grass impact.
Less shadow impact.
silly unrealistic super spotting distance disabled
back to  more realistic 10km for player planes

Grass on Ultra does not just change the Distance but also the Texture resolution of all grass n bushes in the area 
Normal = 1K res.
Ultra = 4K Res Textures.

In order to get 4K res ground n trees, n grass without high fps hit you can turn it on like this in config. 
detail_rt_res = 4096
grass_distance = 0.00000

Edited by =TBAS=Sschatten14