RedKestrel

Anyone use the VKB T-Rudder? Thoughts and Impressions?

Looking at upgrading my rudder pedals again (wishfully, at this point the money exists only in my mind) from my current CH pedals. I find them to be mostly OK but the 'hard centre' detente kind of kills my precision, and they are not the most comfortable to use for extended periods. I know its possible to mod them to have a soft spring or something but I'm not very confident about doing it and frankly I would just rather replace them.

I have looked at the MFG crosswind  and as far as I can tell they are the platinum standard, I have heard nothing bad about them at all. If money was no object I would be getting them right now, but the cost is high and the shipping is brutal where I am. 

I have looked at the VKB T-rudder and was wondering if anyone here uses it? VKB has a good reputation so I have no concerns about product quality, but It looks really different from other pedals and I wonder if its difficult to get used to.

Any thoughts appreciated!

I haven't heard many complaints besides the fact that they only have one axis. For some the vertical motion and the lack of physical toe brakes are immediate deal breakers. It's probably not a problem if you're looking for a precise controller rather than an accurate simulation of a particular aircraft.

VPC WarBRD is another option if you want a more traditional configuration at a similar price, although I don't know about shipping to your location. It's a very nice product, but you still only get a single axis unless you choose the more expensive variants.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

I haven't heard many complaints besides the fact that they only have one axis. For some the vertical motion and the lack of physical toe brakes are immediate deal breakers. It's probably not a problem if you're looking for a precise controller rather than an accurate simulation of a particular aircraft.

VPC WarBRD is another option if you want a more traditional configuration at a similar price, although I don't know about shipping to your location. It's a very nice product, but you still only get a single axis unless you choose the more expensive variants.

I will check the VPC out. Thanks!

I've had the MK3 version and now the MK4 version as well.

I also owned two MFG Crosswinds, and a custom russian pedal bought off the il2.RU forums(seen below)

Spoiler

18-06-2019-18-48-03.jpg

for pure comfort and pin point accuracy, it's definitely the VKB T-Rudder hands down, simply because of the movement of pedal.

with the VKB T-Rudders, I can take off straight in a perfect line without a single hitch.

rudder plays becomes enjoyable, rather than a chore.

the only downside on them is, no toe brakes, but I didn't even care about that to be honest.

because I'd prefer this accuracy over toe brakes anyways.

MFG are not bad pedals, far from!

but I noticed that some units require a disassembly to get rid of some friction.(no big deal, takes 5m) at least my unit did.

If you NEED the toe brakes, go with the mfg's.

for the comfort and the pin-point accuracy, I'd say it's definitely the VKB T-Rudders hands down, simply because of the movements of the pedals.

It's not that the mfg's are bad, it's simply how the pedals are moving that makes it night/day difference for me.

• Upvote 2

I bought the VKB Mk.IV about a month ago and enjoy them very much. The pedals don't slide on my carpet like my previous pedals did and I like the movement which is super smooth. The only thing I did change was the tension which I thought is set too lightly so I moved the tension screw to the more tense setting. Before whenever I put my feet on the pedals, I got some slight unwanted rudder movement. That can be offset by some dead zone setting in-game though.

No regrets paying the high price for them. Combined with the VKB Gladiator Mk.II, it's a winning combination.

Edited by WallysWorld

I use VKB T-Rudder Mk.II and like, specially of their down-up operation, don't became tiresome in long use like conventional pedals based in legs and ankles movement.

T-Rudder is  "high end" (mechanically and electronically) like MFG, VPC, TPR, but packaged at an average price ~$220, with basic features -rudder only, and few adjusts.

"Toe brakes"  is not indispensable in Bo'X because all planes have "differential brakes" modeled, but necessary for some planes of DCS, CloD. A trade for medium price and high quality.

I use the VKB-T-rudders and they are fantastic.

The quality is really impressive, but no toe brakes on it.

Planning to get the VKB gunfighter III in the future and that would make a wonderful package together.

I like them a lot, I was using the CH rudder before and I don't find the lack of toe brakes to be a problem in my case. I use them in DCS and IL2.

Really good bang for the buck IMHO

I've had the VKBIII's for over 2 years. Plug and play, haven't had to do anything since I installed them, still work perfectly.