J5_Matthias

Possible "Hotfix" Update Causing Multiplayer Server Failure

On Wednesday December 4th,

Our server experienced a sudden issue with regards to people being unable to enter and crashing back to the main multiplayer screen when attempting to connect in.

We'd like to know if any other multiplayer servers are experiencing this issue (because it may take some time to dectect if you're not monitoring traffic), and we believe the issue is linked to a "quick hotfix" potenitally deployed incorrectly by C1.

Facts:

The server is running Flying Circus Missions

The server SUCCESSFULLY updated to 4.002 and ran with no issues for multiple days.

On Wednesday the 4th, suddenly the existing missions and server config and all that were running fine suddenly just failed.

Troubleshooting Process (all without success)

1.  We attempted to update the server - no update found

2.  We forced it to analyze the install and update by clearing the update files - analysis complete, a couple files redownloaded

3.  We then went back to the missions that were running and resaved / recompiled them - NDid not work

4.  We started deleting mission components believing there was a bug in the mission that the editor or some sort of file was out of sync between the missions and the current build of the game - COMPLICATIONS AROSE TRYING TO DETERMINE REASON FOR ISSUE

We found that modifying the server mission files resulted in almost nonsensical results for players attempting  to enter the server.  We started by slowly removing mission components one at a time to attempt to find the source of the "bug" in the mission.  This went well at first and we thought the issue was with AAA units.  Then we found that while removing some mission components allowed a player to enter once, then that same player was afflicted by the original issue after that when attempting to reenter.  One player was able to enter and then sit in multiple missions rotating while another remained completely unable to enter.

4.  Attempted to revert to "Pre Flying Circus" mission using no WW1 mission elements except planes. - failed, same problem as #3

5.  Attempted to blow away server files that could be responsible for issue via some sort of data corruption and force another partial reinstall - Failed, same issue after reinstallation was complete

Further Evidence of poential wider impact:

We found at least one other WW1 server experiencing the same issue as us by checking them manually.

What we're asking for

1.  Assistance in understanding what is going on

2.  We need C1 to please reverify that if a hotfix was stealth released on the 4th that it be rolled back or fixed to address this issue.

• Upvote 1

We are running a mixed WW2/WW1 training mission all the time, with WW2 action (all available planes/tanks on the map) to the west of the Stalingrad map and WW1 action (again anything that's available can be flown) to the east.

No issues here, that's all I can say.

The server is running 24/7.

:drinks:

Mike

1 hour ago, SAS_Storebror said:

We are running a mixed WW2/WW1 training mission all the time, with WW2 action (all available planes/tanks on the map) to the west of the Stalingrad map and WW1 action (again anything that's available can be flown) to the east.

No issues here, that's all I can say.

The server is running 24/7.

:drinks:

Mike

Do you have any AI WWI planes flying around?

That’s the only thing I can think of could be different with any other pre-Flying Circus release mixed WWII/WWI server compared to ours, if there are no other WWI elements present on the map.

Sometimes on TAW server is similar situation. DServer successfully loads the mission but nobody can join it. I have to close DServer and run it once again with the same mission and then it's ok. So I think this issue is not related to the mission.  

15 hours ago, J5_Matthias said:

We need C1 to please reverify that if a hotfix was stealth released on the 4th that it be rolled back or fixed to address this issue.

Our passworded server has a.i. running and we've had no problems whatsoever this week.  

Can't see why the devs would issue a 'stealth' hotfix either....:unsure:

As far as I can tell nothing has changed since 4.002. Typically hotfixes are announced in the game update discussion thread, which isn’t the case.

After extensive testing and re configuring and all to no avail including creating a very basic mission just to test it would appear to me that we may have a windows security issue. maybe in ports opening or forwarding. I thought of this last night after Matt racked his brain to exhaustion. This morning while checking the forums Jasta 5 Server Flugpark - Official Release Unofficial Fixes it seems this is also the consensus. One thing for sure, this is enough to drive a non drinking man to drinking.

🥴

• Like 1