Sign in to follow this  
chiliwili69

Spit in Oslo airport

I was greatly surprised by a nice Spitfire XI hanging from the ceiling of the Oslo airport.

I have a two meter wingspan replica in my living room but being under a real one you get really an idea of the fantastic wings of this plane.

In fact Norway acquired 4 Spits and train their pilot in a place in US called "little Norway"... more here: https://www.norwegianspitfire.com/

And 99.9% of the people don´t know that you can enjoy as never before that plane in IL-2 VR!!!  They should put a IL-2 VR demo station just below the plane!

20191204_172654.thumb.jpg.fbfab0eced943bba9af6092b743a689b.jpg

20191204_173443.thumb.jpg.08b7744ee5d246e8c5f741acfc563391.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 12/5/2019 at 12:46 AM, chiliwili69 said:

I was greatly surprised by a nice Spitfire XI hanging from the ceiling of the Oslo airport.

I have a two meter wingspan replica in my living room but being under a real one you get really an idea of the fantastic wings of this plane.

In fact Norway acquired 4 Spits and train their pilot in a place in US called "little Norway"... more here: https://www.norwegianspitfire.com/

And 99.9% of the people don´t know that you can enjoy as never before that plane in IL-2 VR!!!  They should put a IL-2 VR demo station just below the plane!

That is a mock-up. But there is occasionally a "live" one in Kjeller.

For my ignorant eyes it looked so real, with all screws, wheels, machine guns, etc.

But thinking twice, if it was a real one it could not be hanging from ceiling with those cables. :huh:

In any case it is a nice replica.

I'd like a mock-up of that! Might fit in my little house positioned on its side .... hmmm

MA755 IX CBAF M63 331S 'FN-W' AST 23-2-44 33MU 27-4-44 611S Sweep to Paris Shot down when attacking MT nr Chagnes 14-8-44 Lt R B Gouby DFC killed

I wonder if the same person, see last entry, 

S/L "Tony" Gaze (Australian) of 64 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 11 October 1942:

15 miles inland from Dunkirk I noticed 4 F.W. 190's approaching the Wing at about 27,000' from the direction of St. Omer. I climbed up into the sun and led the Squadron down. Two of them immediately rolled over and dived away, the other two turned gently right, climbing. I easily out-climbed them and closed, the right hand E/A went straight ahead, whilst the left one turned left, I easily out-turned him and fired a long burst from the port quarter at about 300 yards hitting him on the starboard wing with H.E. (cannon) as the attack developed into a finer angle. Just as I got to astern I hit his slipstream but came back and fired a long burst closing from 300 yards to 50 yards dead astern seeing cannon strikes on the fuselage. I broke away to avoid a collision and immediately iced up. I think I must have hit the pilot for, after the first strike, the E/A took no evasive action whatever, merely going into a gentle dive in which I overtook him although I closed the throttle. Even when further strikes were seen he flew straight. The actual combat took place at 30,000'.

P/O D.G. Mercer of 122 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 31 October 1942:

I was flying White 1 on starboard side of the formation. Nearing Deal, I saw a FW.190 coming from the town at 700’ heading N.E. I turned on my back, went down, and, closing to 200 yds astern, gave a 4-5 sec. mixed burst – as a result of which, I saw pieces fly the wings of the E/A. Closing further to 100 yds., I gave another 5 sec. burst and saw more pieces fall off the Hun A/C. Finally, I closed to 30 yds. dead astern, and, in spite of difficulty with the E/As slitpstream and a stoppage in my starboard cannon, I got in a last burst. The FW blew up (the flames going over my cockpit) and dived into the water at Pegwell Bay 200 yds. offshore. I claim this FW 190 as DESTROYED.
        The combat was witnessed by Sgt. Hulse, 122 Squadron, and by the intelligence officer at Manston. I was subjected to flak from our own guns during the entire combat.

S/LDR. Hugo Armstrong D.F.C. (R.A.A.F.) of 611 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 November 1942:

I was leading 611 Squadron engaged on Rodeo 107 to Abbeville area. After orbitting Abbeville twice, plots were reported over Amiens, so we withdrew to the coast over the mouth of the Somme. At this time 340 Sqdn. jumped some FW 190's over Berck so we moved north from the Somme and joined the mix-up.
        We went down on four FW 190's who were weaving in line astern, and then pulled up again to about 18,000 ft. when I saw eight more FW 190's flying towards France. I climbed past them and found a single FW 190 flying straight and climbing slightly. He did not see me, and I was able to get to very close range from slightly below before firing. There were strikes all over the belly and around the cockpit, and the E/A climbed very steeply to port and the pilot baled out as the A/C stalled and fell down.
        The remaining FW 190's then became hostile and climbed after me; however, when my second blower cut in I was able to get away without too much trouble. I kept climbing to 32,000 ft. and started for home. The FW 190's gave up and turned towards France again, but when I was about 15 miles west of Le Touquet I was bounced by three Me 109 's who must have been at a great height. The first two missed me and climbed again, but the third tried to turn with me and fired a very long burst. After a couple of turns he straightened out and climbed, and I was able to get in two bursts from 350 yds. There were several strikes on his starboard mainplane around the aileron, and on the root. The aircraft flicked a couple of times and went down falling almost horizontally and rolling slowly.
        I am convinced that this ME 109 was absolutely out of control from the way it fell, but was unable to see any more of it owing to the haze and the other two Me 109's who were getting a bit keen. I kept weaving and they gave up about 15 miles south of Dungeness.
        I claim 1 FW 190 destroyed. 1 ME 109 probably destroyed.

611sqdn-spitfire9-fyo.jpg Spitfire Mk. IX of 611 Squadron, Biggin Hill, Summer 1942

Comm. B. Duperier, D.F.C. of 340 (Free French) Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 November 1942:

Near le Crotoy, the leading squadron, 611 after one section had unsuccessfully chased two e/a, was turning back towards England. At this moment 340 Squadron found itself in front and up sun of the leading squadron. I turned the squadron to take position down-sun and behind, and in this turn I saw two FW.190 climbing below a cloud layer approx. 3,000 ft below the Wing, slightly N.W. of the Forest of Crecy. I dived towards these aircraft and, trying to make use of cloud cover to approach them, I dived through this cloud layer. Coming out of the cloud I saw in front of me three FW.190’s one at approx. 150 – 200 yds traveling fast in the same direction and almost in my reflector sight. The two others were approx. 6/800 yds. traveling fast, also in the same direction, and 500 ft. below and climbing. I gave a short burst at the first one, from which a large piece immediately flew away – probably a jettisonable hood – and the pilot came out with the white parachute opening. I overtook the a/c and the pilot and could see what was happening. At this time the other two e/a in front sighted our section and began to dive towards le Touquet. Estimating that I would be unable to close nearer, I gave a long burst at the nearest one, which was approx. 600 – 800 yds. and a very long trail of blue – grayish smoke came out of the machine which dived steeply towards the ground. I was still following and firing when I received a warning telling me that there were some more FW.190’s diving towards us. Unable to look behind, I took violent evasive action in which I lost sight of the smoking FW.190 for a few seconds, but later I saw in the same area, a few miles south of le Touquet aerodrome, an aircraft crashing to the ground which a large explosion. No other aircraft were destroyed in this locality. All three FW.190’s had yellow tails. I claim two FW.190’s destroyed.

Adj. R. Gouby of 340 (F.F.) Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 November 1942:

I was Red 3 and was at 15,000 ft. near the Bale de la Somme when I saw Red 1 and 2 diving to attack 2 FW.190’s 3,000 ft. below us. Coming from behind, two other FW.190’s attacked Red 1. I made a 90 degrees beam attack on the nearest one of these e/a and fired at about 300 yds. range without observing any result. I followed him, however, and was closing up to about 300 yds. and was ready to fire when three FW.190’s attacked me from 15 degrees ahead at 500 yds. range. I made a head-on attack on the one flying in the centre and started to fire cannon and M.G. from 300 yds. I saw his top engine cowling fly away, and something else also cam away but I can not say exactly what it was. A few seconds later black smoke began to pour from the engine. I broke away between 30 and 50 yds. and saw the e/a dive at an angle of 30 degrees towards the sea. I then saw 2 FW.190’s attack me from behind and some more about 300 ft. above. I managed to evade them by diving and set course for base. On landing I found my port wing damaged by a M.G. bullet.
        I claim one FW.190 damaged but ask for this claim to be reviewed as a result of the note appended by my Intelligence .

Edited by DD_fruitbat