ShamrockOneFive

IL-2: Battle of Bodenplatte Full Review

Hey folks,

After a few weeks spent with IL-2: Battle of Bodenplatte plus the intervening two years of development, I wanted to present to you my full review for IL-2: Battle of Bodenplatte.

This latest title is more evolution than revolution that iterates on the series while giving us some legendary aircraft to fly. I think the developers made the right choice picking a late war western front scenario and I think the features and iterative evolution of the series over these last two years have made the IL-2 series stronger than ever.

tempest-sniping-in-the-sun2.jpg

https://stormbirds.blog/2019/12/03/il-2-battle-of-bodenplatte-full-review/

I hope you enjoy the review and I of course welcome others to share their own take on reviewing IL-2: Battle of Bodenplatte!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 10

An excellent review Shamrock, I am just hoping that with all the wonderful aircraft and maps that will become available with the campaign and that  if possible it sticks to the script ?

If I am flying with the Luftwaffe on that cold new years morning to attack those allied airfields I would hope that there will be many targets to destroy before those allied fighters get amongst us.   Cheers.

Very interesting reading. I think you bring it to the point.

Two small corrections, however. You list at the beginning all GB titles, inclusive FC and TC and say each title has a career system, which is not correct for those two titles.

Second, since yesterday the two collectors planes are available for purchasing. EDIT: Plus BOBP is available on Steam now, too.

But apart from that a very good review.

Edited by Yogiflight

Excellent article, again. If I would be considering buying this product, after that read I'd surely know what to expect.

I also appreciate you mentioning those certain issues with multiplayer features and map feeling empty, constructive criticism usually makes things better.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

All of your reviews are superbly done Shamrock, tell it more or less as is without any embellishment so folks out there can have information that they can rely on.:drinks:

Just one bitch if I might, not all titles have a career, that is something that really needs to be emphasised because for single player all there is for those titles is the Q.M.B. unless a community or company campaign is made for them or they use one of the utilities for mission creation, People need to be fully aware of exactly what is on offer when they buy, good and bad.

Other than that I think all the reviews you do are well balanced.;)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Thank you for the review and thank you for not holding back and listing the areas that could use improvement, aka P47...

3 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Very interesting reading. I think you bring it to the point.

Two small corrections, however. You list at the beginning all GB titles, inclusive FC and TC and say each title has a career system, which is not correct for those two titles.

Second, since yesterday the two collectors planes are available for purchasing. EDIT: Plus BOBP is available on Steam now, too.

But apart from that a very good review.

12 minutes ago, Missionbug said:

All of your reviews are superbly done Shamrock, tell it more or less as is without any embellishment so folks out there can have information that they can rely on.:drinks:

Just one bitch if I might, not all titles have a career, that is something that really needs to be emphasised because for single player all there is for those titles is the Q.M.B. unless a community or company campaign is made for them or they use one of the utilities for mission creation, People need to be fully aware of exactly what is on offer when they buy, good and bad.

Other than that I think all the reviews you do are well balanced.;)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

As both of you have pointed out, yes indeed those two titles don't have Career mode. I had written that section a bit differently, changed it, and then that point was no longer accurate. I have corrected it!

Appreciate the comments from everyone. With my reviews I try and point out the good, the bad, and try and present something that someone new to the series need to know. I try and avoid the hyperbole and focus on the facts with my take on it. Of course I may see things differently than others which is fine too!

5 minutes ago, MercCrom175 said:

Thank you for the review and thank you for not holding back and listing the areas that could use improvement, aka P47...

Thanks MercCrom! Generally speaking I think IL-2's damage model on the whole is great and class leading but nothing is perfect and I really think the developers might need to have a quick peek at things for that one aircraft in particular. I don't think it needs to soak up many more bullets than it does now but the engine and the wings might be areas for them to look at. Anyways, I don't want to turn it into a P-47 damage model thread :)

@ShamrockOneFive, sorry mate, but you didn't change the point, that the two collectors aircrafts are not yet in the store. They are since yesterday, plus BOBP available on Steam.

10 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

@ShamrockOneFive, sorry mate, but you didn't change the point, that the two collectors aircrafts are not yet in the store. They are since yesterday, plus BOBP available on Steam.

My update didn't actually get published. Now it should be there :)

Terrific read (as always)!

I honestly believe your reviews are among the best I've ever come across.

Keep up the great work!

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2019 at 8:02 AM, LeLv30_Redwing said:

Excellent article, again. If I would be considering buying this product, after that read I'd surely know what to expect.

I also appreciate you mentioning those certain issues with multiplayer features and map feeling empty, constructive criticism usually makes things better.

agree, he always says the good and the bad things of every release