Melonfish

BF-110 engine failure.

I'm wondering if I could get some help?

i've got a good few hours in the 110 but this is the first time i'm flying it since the baseplate updates. I'm finding that my RPM's drop away and both engines die on me, i can sometimes get them started again but they don't last long before the same thing happens.

i've got all engine assistance turned off, radiators are set, local temps are good with engine temps well within range, i'm not flying on emergency, just a mix of continuous and combat and it's less than 5 minutes before they start cutting out.

i'm sort of losing the will here, i'm not sure what's going wrong?

for the moment i'm flying the G-2, to be fair i haven't tried with the E-2 yet.

I do have fuel! i checked, there were no mysterious holes anywhere, my crew chief assured me the cap was back on and that the wings were not in fact filled with lead.

any ideas?

Pete

The 110s have auto prop pitch, but maybe with a double key binding, the prop pitch set to manual by accident, then the engines might over rev.

41 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

The 110s have auto prop pitch, but maybe with a double key binding, the prop pitch set to manual by accident, then the engines might over rev.

That's what it sounds like to me. 

No message of engine damage no. It's like they're starved of fuel or something. I get a message about prop feathering off and then they conk out. Almost like a mag drop in fact. 

What are the RPMs before they drop away?

1 hour ago, Hajo_Garlic said:

Bump the throttle to ~10% while they are starting

You don't need to that with the prewarmed engines we have by default, except when you start the engines of the 110 E2, because here the prop pitch is at 0% instead of 100% like in all other aircrafts. A bug I posted already.

1 hour ago, Yogiflight said:

What are the RPMs before they drop away?

You don't need to that with the prewarmed engines we have by default, except when you start the engines of the 110 E2, because here the prop pitch is at 0% instead of 100% like in all other aircrafts. A bug I posted already.

If I don’t even in the g mine cut out, or at least did... I’ll have to try when I get time

check key bindings for feathering as me and wingman also had problems with double binding on throttle with feathering randomly kicking in. 

I'll double check the bindings. Its so very odd. Frustrating mainly.

USB overloaded? Can cause spurious input. I would also unbind feathering if bound to controller and see if that helps.

The feathering message should only appear after the engine(s) has shut down. As was stated above, try unbinding anything in the "Prop Feathering" section of the key bindings, then make a flight. If the engines don't conk out again, assign prop feathering to something else (I believe I use the default of LCtrl+F). Just make sure you DO reassign it though, its critical in combat if you plan on getting home on one engine.

I learnt yesterday on WOL that we do not need more then 15% fuel with bombers. With full fuel and all the bombs possible, I had often engine failure/damaged 5min after start, even when I avoid emergency power. It is just too much for plane. 

Use "open radiators for 110" (ca 70% is ok).

ps: 110 do not need "open bomb doors", but do not forget it for some others. 

A question: do we actually need keybind for "disarm bombs" on/off? Or all bombers can hit by default without it? (Ju88?)

That is not correct the 110 E2 and G2 can fly with over 85% fuel and full bomb load without Damage or any problems taking off. 
G2 can fly on 1 engine with full bombload and 55% fuel @ 300kph @ 3000m Easily for hours if need be.

Ok on some very Short fields the E2 will struggle,
but with 20*Flaps + Full Elevator Trim + Rotate @ 185kph it will take off on short fields with 85% fuel and Max bombload with Armour.

Only 5 ways to damage a 110 engine. (excluding enemy fire or so on) 
- Overheat for a long period of time (couple minutes)
- Run Emergency , Boosted or combat power past its limits. 
- Using Manual prop pitch and not knowing what you are doing (not that manual pitch is ever needed) 
- Over Revving engine in a Steep dive past 700kph with full power and the governor cant compensate 
(but if you do this plane falls apart anyways) 
- Rapid throttle changes (idle to max power) on Very cold winter maps where Air pressure has been set very low and Density is very high.

**Turning on Feathering shows the Hud indicator instantly you hit the button not once engines have shutdown, as a running engine can be feathered.
and while the engine shutsdown with Feathering On it does not get damaged it just has too much prop drag and the engine cannot turn it so it stalls its that simple, to Restart it simple turn off feathering as the prop starts to bite air it will spin up and start by itself.**

REGARDING COOLING.
E2 max needed in summer maps @ 30 mins combat Power
50% oil, 37% Water.
G2 Max needed in Summer Maps @ 30 mins combat Power
75% oil , 75% Water. 

**No plane will suffer engine Failure or Damage in game because of the load you are carrying bombs or fuel load.**
They will only suffer Damage if you do something wrong (exceed limits or fail to cool or fuel them properly, think you are better than auto prop pitch) 

Edited by =TBAS=Sschatten14
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:

(not that manual pitch is ever needed) 

The only time I ever use the manual pitch is to lower RPMs on a damaged engine in an attempt to extend the engine life and get home (and open both rads to 100%). Of course, if the engine is too critically damaged, it doesn't matter anyway, and I just prepare to feather it. All of your points are spot on, probably because you're the one who taught me to fly the damn thing....and now it's all I fly! :lol:

But, again, if prop is feathered while the engine is producing power, it will kill the engine. Definitely check your bindings @Melonfish.

4 hours ago, =BAIT=CG_Justin said:

The only time I ever use the manual pitch is to lower RPMs on a damaged engine in an attempt to extend the engine life and get home (and open both rads to 100%). Of course, if the engine is too critically damaged, it doesn't matter anyway, and I just prepare to feather it. All of your points are spot on, probably because you're the one who taught me to fly the damn thing....and now it's all I fly! :lol:

But, again, if prop is feathered while the engine is producing power, it will kill the engine. Definitely check your bindings @Melonfish.

I think this may be it yeah, I'll Just clear everything tonight and reset. Only takes a minute or two. 

Thanks everyone!

It is easy to check double key-bindings. Search for "feathering" in settings, and right in 3 boxes are possible key or joystick combinations. If one of them has a little orange box in lower right, that means that combination is already used. Hover over orange box with mouse, to see where is used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It looks like some sort of mapping error for sure, though only one button was set as feather, my button for the map/briefing was previously set for feather and hitting that appeared to trigger it post update. I've been flying 109's for a while so didn't notice.

I've defaulted my key bindings and remapped and it seems to have sorted it.

Thanks guys!

• Upvote 2

I have had this same problem, only difference being it was the Bf110 E-2.  Me and a friend will fly together while talking on discord.  We will both be in the Bf110 E-2 flying side by side with identical power and radiator settings.  It doesn't always happen, but a handful of times just ONE of our engines will become damaged, as we randomly receive the message "Engine x Damaged". This would be 10-15 minutes into a flight, and we never once went past combat power, temperatures were good, auto prop pitch, level flight, constant throttle, and then it'll randomly happen to one of us

I fully understand that there's only so many ways to damage an engine, and over and over again we have concluded that we were doing NONE of those things, and can't imagine it could be anything other than a bug.  Every time I've explained this to someone, they insist that one of us MUST have been doing something wrong, but I'm SURE that we weren't.... after the first or second time it happened, I assumed, maybe I did something wrong and just didn't realize it somehow, but after it's happened a handful of times, I know it's not me or my friend.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FeuerFliegen said:

I have had this same problem, only difference being it was the Bf110 E-2.  Me and a friend will fly together while talking on discord.  We will both be in the Bf110 E-2 flying side by side with identical power and radiator settings.  It doesn't always happen, but a handful of times just ONE of our engines will become damaged, as we randomly receive the message "Engine x Damaged". This would be 10-15 minutes into a flight, and we never once went past combat power, temperatures were good, auto prop pitch, level flight, constant throttle, and then it'll randomly happen to one of us

I fully understand that there's only so many ways to damage an engine, and over and over again we have concluded that we were doing NONE of those things, and can't imagine it could be anything other than a bug.  Every time I've explained this to someone, they insist that one of us MUST have been doing something wrong, but I'm SURE that we weren't.... after the first or second time it happened, I assumed, maybe I did something wrong and just didn't realize it somehow, but after it's happened a handful of times, I know it's not me or my friend.

Since sorting the mapping's I havent' had this re-occur, but i'll continue flying and see if anything crops up, it's possible the tweaks they did during the last patch broke something in the DB engines for both 110's? though it seems pretty rare for now to say for sure.