KPnutskgwanchos

Returned to IL2 after 6 years .... Still poor AI ?!

Hi Folks ... been away for some time but have returned to check progress over here. Have to say the WW2 aircraft are stunning in all respects. The work on the modelling,scenery, sound etc is a joy to behold. So I was kind of amazed to find there appears to have been no noticeable improvements in AI. Still the same super human snipping from gunners and endless turning to the deck with fighters. Its such a crying shame and one of the main reasons I drifted away before. Do the devs ever acknowledge this issue at all or is all the effort in the online side of things?      

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, KPnutskgwanchos said:

So I was kind of amazed to find there appears to have been no noticeable improvements in AI. Still the same super human snipping from gunners and endless turning to the deck with fighters. Its such a crying shame and one of the main reasons I drifted away before. Do the devs ever acknowledge this issue at all or is all the effort in the online side of things?

No offense, but I don't think you've spent nearly enough time in the game after "being away" to notice that there have been a lot of AI changes (1) documented in the change log and (2) that have made gameplay much, much better.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Kind of hard to believe you actually tried it. the AI is worlds different than it was even a year ago.

• Upvote 7

Ok sure folks I will try some more if you are really saying its been tweeked ..... I have only tried 5 or 6 fights but was seeing familiar patterns. Which level of AI do you recommend for best variety of responses? 

1 minute ago, migmadmarine said:

Did you play anything more than QMB? Try a couple career missions, and see how they behave. 

YEs only QMB .... ok thanks will check out career missions for sure .... thanks 

8 minutes ago, KPnutskgwanchos said:

Ok sure folks I will try some more if you are really saying its been tweeked ..... I have only tried 5 or 6 fights but was seeing familiar patterns. Which level of AI do you recommend for best variety of responses? 

YEs only QMB .... ok thanks will check out career missions for sure .... thanks 

To be certain, it is not perfect but the endless merry-go-round that we had before has been greatly mitigated. I always select ace AI when in the QMB. I just did a one-v-one QMB lastnight 109G14 (me) vs a Spit mk9. The spit was all over the place with vertical moves and trying to maintain energy advantage over me the whole time.

You can entice the AI into long turns still but it's rarer and not as long as it used to be.

Do an 8v8 mission in the QMB with Ace on both sides. You'll see some neat stuff going on.

Edited by pfrances

Ace should give you best results. You'll see 109s try to boom and zoom etc, though they do occasionally get sucked into the circle trap unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, pfrances said:

To be certain, it is not perfect but the endless merry-go-round that we had before has been greatly mitigated. I always select ace AI when in the QMB. I just did a one-v-one QMB lastnight 109G14 (me) vs a Spit mk9. The spit was all over the place with vertical moves and trying to maintain energy advantage over me the whole time.

You can entice the AI into long turns still but it's rarer and not as long as it used to be.

Thanks pfrances.... good to know

Note that AI might be different in QMB than in correct setup single missions or campaigns.

This is especially true for how AI bombers and ground attack aircraft behaves.

It probably comes down to the way waypoints are setup for these flights, where waypoint priority is set to low instead of medium or high.

It will make bombers and ground attack aircraft act as if they got fighter pilot brains.

Properly setup missions makes a big difference.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

fjacobsen makes a good point. Bombers in the QMB will try to turn fight you like a fighter . . . . .it's cute seeing them try 😈

• Haha 1

Yep much improved AI over the last few years, certainly not perfect but they will provide a nice challenge to the SP experience.

• Thanks 1

AI pilots are now awesome, AI gunners are still super-human garbage (in my opinion).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ai are fine.

One tends to notice only when they mess up not the rest of the time when theyre doing well.

Dont be afraid to whack up the setting to ACE. it doesnt seem to make them invincible rather they fell more humanistic.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

AI pilots are now awesome, AI gunners are still super-human garbage (in my opinion).

Only if you make bombers ace or veteran.  I always set them at novice and the gunners are fine.  I do wish that the gunners would generally move a couple of notches:

Ace = today's common

Veteran = today's novice

other two are something worse ...

But really it doesn't matter too much.  What does an ace bomber pilot look like anyway?  Most bomber or ground attack pilots were not well versed in aerobatics so novice is about right.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Go into the QMB. Take an FW-190a8 and fight against an Ace P-38 at 4,000 m. Then come back and comment on the AI 😉

It's not perfect, but compared to years ago, it is sooooo much better.

Edited by NickM
shpelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NickM said:

Go into the QMB. Take an FW-190a8 and fight against an Ace P-38 at 4,000 m. Then come back and comment on the AI 😉

It's not perfect, but compared to years ago, it is sooooo much better.

Gotta say NickM you are spot on that was definite improvement ..... hats off they really have done some work on this .... I take it all back ... thanks for putting me straight on this!    

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2