Apanos9

What you think about VR

What you think about VR and Il-2  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What you think about VR and Il-2

• Once you go VR you never go back!
    • Nah I prefer my high resolution screen and TIR

I started in VR it's the only reason I decided to get into flying. I used to fly an ultralight aircraft and thought it would be great to fly other types of aircraft. The problem I'm finding is all the programs require use of the keyboard. I'm using an Bodnar board to set up buttons that I can find in VR but there are so many things in the keymapping settings it seems very hard to do.

How is everyone else dealing with this issue? In DCS I can use the mouse and look at the things on the instrument panel to operate them. In IL-2 I need to setup a lot of buttons.

You will need a lot of imagination, but for a example my joystick hat switch can do a lot of things when I use ctrl-alt-shift+pinky button combination. Default 90/270 is rpm, 00/180 main radiator control . Then ctrl-90 switch rpm auto/manual. Ctrl+180 boost....ctrl+00 switch supercharger. Ctrl -270 is engine feathering . Joystic pinky button + 90/270 is oil radiator etc etc... I can bind all radiators ,turbo control and a lot of more just in my hat switch

So are you saying you are able to use the keyboard in VR? I can't find the keys  on the keyboard in VR. I'm made a button box which I can feel for, and I plan to add more buttons to it but at some point it's going to get complicated. Maybe there is some kind of trick you have to use the keyboard? If you've got one please let me know how to do it. I'm new to all this and I'm sure other people have better ideas than I have.

We'll all these keys locate to far left down . Ctrl -alt- shift is easy to find even blind

Well I'll have to work on that. I have a chair with the Joystick mounted on the right side and the throttle mounted on the left with a platform for the mouse to the left of the throttle and a button box in front of the mouse platform. I guess i could mount a keyboard holder somewhere in front of me. I also have peddles mounted to the chair to the front. But still if you need to activate something quickly finding the keyboard still sounds difficult. I guess I'll just have to work on it. Thanks for the info it all helps.

Have you tried Voiceattack? I have a copy of it but I haven't tried it yet. Does it work for stuff like this?

7 minutes ago, sierrabob said:

Have you tried Voiceattack? I have a copy of it but I haven't tried it yet. Does it work for stuff like this?

Yes, it works extremely well. I have Zira give me a read back to confirm execution of each command. Well worth the time needed to get comfortable with the command structure.

Great I'll be giving it a try. Is it difficult to remember all the commands? Right now I have a hard time remembering the right buttons to push to operate different parts of the plane. Can you just say for instance feather prop? or something like that?

Edited by sierrabob

1 hour ago, sierrabob said:

Great I'll be giving it a try. Is it difficult to remember all the commands? Right now I have a hard time remembering the right buttons to push to operate different parts of the plane. Can you just say for instance feather prop? or something like that?

You choose wording for commands so there isn't anything for you to forget. Since you can get read back from Zira you know immediately that the desired action is being executed.

OK! thank you for the advice I'm definitely going to learn to use VoiceAttack. Thanks again! 

I use a Saitek X52 Pro, enough buttons for my VR needs.

But I am also able to find my way blind on a keyboard. (I always could lift my HMD a little bit or use the front camera of my HP reverb to take a peak if necessary.)  

Edited by Gomoto

I am thinking about trying vr and most likely a Rift S. I’m interested as to what I can expect in terms of picture quality/clarity.  I play the game at 1920x1080 on an hdtv with ultra settings with a few FPS hungry settings toned down a little. How would the Rift S picture look in comparison to 1920x1080 as far as overall graphics and clarity of gauges? Are there negatives such as SDE and if so how noticeable is it and how much do you feel it impacts the picture quality.  I know there are HMD’s that have better resolution but I think Rift S offers the best value for me to enter vr and has somewhat less system demands.  

I would particularly appreciate feedback from S users (enter dburne here...) 😉

Thanks! 

Edited by TheSNAFU

57 minutes ago, TheSNAFU said:

I am thinking about trying vr and most likely a Rift S. I’m interested as to what I can expect in terms of picture quality/clarity.  I play the game at 1920x1080 on an hdtv with ultra settings with a few FPS hungry settings toned down a little. How would the Rift S picture look in comparison to 1920x1080 as far as overall graphics and clarity of gauges? Are there negatives such as SDE and if so how noticeable is it and how much do you feel it impacts the picture quality.  I know there are HMD’s that have better resolution but I think Rift S offers the best value for me to enter vr and has somewhat less system demands.  

I would particularly appreciate feedback from S users (enter dburne here...) 😉

Thanks! 

Rift S has a little SDE, coming from a Rift CV1 though it is a major improvement for me. Even though it is there I rarely really notice it, at least not enough to bother me. SDE does not really affect the clarity of the picture, it is something just out there a few feet away from your eyes and if you don't make it a focus it is hardly noticed. But you can see it if you focus on it.

Clarity for me is pretty good, especially up close like in the cockpit. I have not problem seeing the gauges. For really fine print, likely need to zoom to get an easy read. Thankfully there is not that much like that.  Further off in the distance the image degenerates some which is the nature of current VR - but again certainly better than the Rift CV1. Keep in mind the quality of the image in VR is not all about resolution alone but several factors, like type of display, type and amount of subpixels, etc. 

I have a pretty beefy rig so am able to run with most my settings maxed out without any problem. ASW kicks in for me occasionally, especially over Bodenplatte but still I get a very smooth experience. 

Two shortcomings of the Rift S I will mention, at least shortcomings for me.

1: Rift S audio strap is junk. I like good quality audio, so I got a pair of earbuds to use with mine, plugged them into the Rift S audio jack and sound is fantastic.

Headphones certainly can be used in the same way, just need to make sure they will fit ok over the halo headband. If you care about good audio, you would likely be disappointed as I was with the audio strap. I personally prefer earbuds anyway.

2: The Mic. Now I am problably in the minority here as I do not see this issue posted a lot on Oculus forums, however my mic is not good. It will cut out in the midst of gameplay - just stop working. I added an inexpensive USB desktop mic to take care of that and disabled the Rift S mic. But again on this one yours may be quite ok.

Other than that, I absolutely love my Rift S. It has been a real workhorse being used daily since getting it in May. Great software, very good performance in IL-2.

I will also mention I do not use Steam VR for my Rift S, I use Open Composite. I gained nicely in the performance department by making this switch.

Rift S is a great device. Oculus Software is very good and quite mature. Tracking is very good. Plus there are many other titles I enjoy from time to time with my Rift S. The Touch Controllers are awesome. 

If you are an Amazon Prime Member, you can order from them and have 30 days to return for refund should you so desire.

I myself could never play IL-2 on a monitor again. 

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Dburne, I knew I could count on you for a detailed review of Rift S. I very much appreciate and value your views on it. The sound and mic issues are not concerns for me as I have nice headphones with mic I would continue to use.  As far as how it all looks, the SDE and picture degradation at distance I think I’ll just have to see it to determine if or how much it’s an issue for me. Admittedly I am pretty particular about graphics.

I have prime and think the best thing will be to just buy the damn thing and see if I like it. The lure of the “being there” immersion is strong for me.

I consider you as the foremost expert in Rift so your opinions carry a lot of weight with me. 

Thanks!!

Edited by TheSNAFU

26 minutes ago, TheSNAFU said:

Dburne, I knew I could count on you for a detailed review of Rift S. I very much appreciate and value your views on it. The sound and mic issues are not concerns for me as I have nice headphones with mic I would continue to use.  As far as how it all looks, the SDE and picture degradation at distance I think I’ll just have to see it to determine if or how much it’s an issue for me. Admittedly I am pretty particular about graphics.

I have prime and think the best thing will be to just buy the damn thing and see if I like it. The lure of the “being there” immersion is strong for me.

I consider you as the foremost expert in Rift so your opinions carry a lot of weight with me. 

Thanks!!

:good:

Thanks much for the kind words!

Best of luck, anxious to hear how you like it.

Probably how it will go:

First time in cockpit you will be for an incredible oh wow moment. Then taking off and seeing the runway start to disappear below you as you climb out, that wow moment just gets stronger.

Then you will start looking off in the distance, and be not so impressed the further you look out - but still will be captivating.

No matter what, give yourself a few days with it to get a good judgement on if it is for you or not.

Oh, and take some breaks while doing it - at first you may experience some motion sickness, soon as you feel coming on take a break. It will get better as you go, mine went away after a couple of weeks.

Have fun!

DBURNE what are the specs on your computer setup. Is the SDE you're writing about the oculus tray tool? I've been messing with my settings in VR and I have them on high with somethings turned down a bit. For some reason when I start Il-2 if I uncheck the sli setting it seems to work better. I have a I7-8700k 3.7 (in task manager it say it is running at 4.23 gh. I have 2 rtx2080 supers running in sli and 32 g memory. I can look up at the sky and get 75 frames, looking at the instrument panel I get 39 or 40. I'm using an oculus rift s. Any help with settings etc. would be greatly appreciated. I really like IL-2. SDE screen door effect, just looked it up.

Edited by sierrabob

6 hours ago, sierrabob said:

DBURNE what are the specs on your computer setup. Is the SDE you're writing about the oculus tray tool? I've been messing with my settings in VR and I have them on high with somethings turned down a bit. For some reason when I start Il-2 if I uncheck the sli setting it seems to work better. I have a I7-8700k 3.7 (in task manager it say it is running at 4.23 gh. I have 2 rtx2080 supers running in sli and 32 g memory. I can look up at the sky and get 75 frames, looking at the instrument panel I get 39 or 40. I'm using an oculus rift s. Any help with settings etc. would be greatly appreciated. I really like IL-2. SDE screen door effect, just looked it up.

Specs in sig.

SDE is a side effect of lenses/resolution used. nothing to do with settings or OTT.

Keep SLI turned off,  it is not supported in VR currently.

I maintain 80 fps for the most part with graphics pretty much maxed out.

I have clouds now on High, Graphics on Ultra and I do not run SSAO or HDR. Everything else at Max.

Keep in mind I am running my i9 9900k at 5.2 GHz on all cores.

I also suggest running the Rift S for IL-2 through Open Composite rather than Steam VR. I find it to be leaner and meaner and I get better

performance versus Steam VR.  I use Oculus Tray Tool for setting my SS which I currently have at 1.3.

what is sig. or where do I find it. what is open composite? So is your i9 overclocked?

Just now, sierrabob said:

what is sig. or where do I find it. what is open composite? So is your i9 overclocked?

Look at my signature, which is at the bottom of my posts - lists my PC specs.

Yes I have overclocked my i9 9900k to run at 5.2 GHz on all 8 cores.

Open Composite:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9nxixe/systemwide_installation_for_opencomposite_released/

OK i got opencomposite up and working but I still don't understand where the signature is. I looked at your posts but I don't see it. maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.I looked at your profile page but I still don't see signature. I know it's just me. What am I missing?

14 minutes ago, sierrabob said:

OK i got opencomposite up and working but I still don't understand where the signature is. I looked at your posts but I don't see it. maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.I looked at your profile page but I still don't see signature. I know it's just me. What am I missing?

it should appear below a post.

you might have them disabled on your forum account settings or are browsing on a mobile device which shows the mobile version of the site which doesn't display them ;)

I’ve come to the conclusion that I am just unable to attempt VR. By many accounts this tech seems to require extensive and truly mind numbing and bewildering tweaks and reprogramming of even the strongest systems in order to eke out mediocre performance. Games like DCS are apparently almost beyond the ability of the headsets to run well. I’m not up to reinstalling different versions of Windows or drivers in the attempt to just get a few more frames from these things. It’s a solid no from me until this stuff can actually run flawlessly without requiring a computer science degree to get it working. 

3 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

...By many accounts this tech seems to require extensive and truly mind numbing and bewildering tweaks and reprogramming of even the strongest systems in order to eke out mediocre performance...

Not full truth. I could probbably tweak my system better, but I do not have time for that. Only I took 3dmigoto for zoom, and some guides from Fernis_Wolf. 

No time to loose, I must shot down enemy ;)

1 minute ago, Brzi_Joe said:

I could probbably tweak my system better, but I do not have time for that.

I don’t have time for any of it. I seriously get the impression VR players spend more time screwing with their hardware than they do gaming. There are people who probably even enjoy that but it’s not for me. And as games get updated they become even more demanding and the performance becomes more degraded. So it seems like an endless circle of frustration even for people with top tier systems. 

9 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I don’t have time for any of it. I seriously get the impression VR players spend more time screwing with their hardware than they do gaming. There are people who probably even enjoy that but it’s not for me. And as games get updated they become even more demanding and the performance becomes more degraded. So it seems like an endless circle of frustration even for people with top tier systems. 

If you have no interest in VR, why are you posting here? There is a fine line between constructive criticism and being a troll. Quit while you are ahead.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sgt_Joch said:

If you have no interest in VR, why are you posting here? There is a fine line between constructive criticism and being a troll. Quit while you are ahead.

It’s a poll asking whether or not you prefer VR. You’ve got my answer. 

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

No.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

as above. "no."

it may not be for you but I'll never fly any sim not VR capable.

34 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Sharpe have you managed to fly Il2     or DCS in VR yet?

Based upon what I read I wouldn’t even attempt DCS in VR. It sounds horrible.

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

I spend  a lot of time in VR with IL2 & DCS. Nothing wrong with DCS in VR, both look fabulous with a decent headset & PC.

26 minutes ago, PO_Baldrick said:

I spend  a lot of time in VR with IL2 & DCS. Nothing wrong with DCS in VR, both look fabulous with a decent headset & PC.

Everybody’s definition of “fabulous” must be.different then.  

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Based upon what I've read I wouldn't even attempt WarThunder. It sounds horrible.  However, since thoudands and thousands play it every day, logic would seem to indicate that it can't actually be horrible at all.  

However, I don't really have any opinion on WarThunder that is worth expressing as I've never played it.:)

You work in an architectural practice don't you?  DCS Persian Golf map is quite fascinating in VR.

Btw; IL2 is the slightly better performer but the jets in VR are just.........:o:

You really , really should try either in VR.:salute:

50 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

You work in an architectural practice don't you?  

Yeah I do. We use VR there and it’s pretty fantastic for that. 

VR, yes.  Then I tried VTOL VR.  Never the same thereafter; it spoiled all other flight sims for me.