US93_Larner

Thinking of starting a squadron?

Afternoon, all! 

It's probably no secret that I'm a big advocate of squadrons being formed in FC. I think that it offers a lot of really great aspects to the game that would otherwise be missed, such as flying in a community, having a sense of 'Unit Identity', and getting into big furballs with opposing Squadrons! For that reason, I've decided to put together a list of some of the more famous historical units for inspiration!

The list will include aircraft flown historically by each squadron. Aircraft in-game will be marked in Green, and aircraft not in-game will be marked in Red. I've tried to include at least one squadron for each aircraft type!

Check the spoilers below! 

BRITISH & COMMONWEALTH SQUADRONS: 
The Royal Flying Corps, Royal Naval Air Service and Royal Air Force all played host to some of WW1's most famous historical squadrons during the Great War. Many of the well-known units flew the aircraft we have in-game.

Spoiler

No. 4 Squadron AFC (Australian Flying Corps):

Aircraft Flown: 

-Sopwith Camel

-Sopwith Snipe

No. 20 Squadron RFC /RAF:

Aircraft Flown: 

-F.E.2b / F.E.2d

-Bristol F2B

No. 23 Squadron RFC /RAF:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Spad 7.C1

-Spad 13.C1

-Sopwith Dolphin

No. 56 Squadron RFC /RAF:
Aircraft Flown: 
-S.E.5 / S.E.5a

No. 60 Squadron RFC /RAF:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 11, 16, & 17

-S.E.5 / S.E.5a

No. 74 Squadron RFC /RAF:

Aircraft Flown: 

-S.E.5a

No. 3 Squadron RNAS / No. 203 Squadron RAF:

Aircraft Flown:

-Nieuport 17 

-Sopwith Pup

-Sopwith Camel

No. 8 Squadron RNAS / No. 208 Squadron RAF:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 17

-Sopwith Pup

-Sopwith Triplane

-Sopwith Camel

No. 10 Squadron RNAS / No. 210 Squadron RAF:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 17

-Sopwith Pup

-Sopwith Triplane

-Sopwith Camel

FRENCH SQUADRONS: 
The French were considered among the best aviators of WW1, and had an extensive list of elite Squadrons to prove it. Although the Spad 13 is the sole French aircraft currently in the game, there are sure to be many interesting aircraft to fly with the French if FC Vol. 2 is released.

Spoiler

Escadrille SPA.3:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 11 / 16 / 17

-SPAD 7.C1

-SPAD 13.C1

Escadrille SPA.26:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 11 / 16 / 17

-SPAD 7.C1

-SPAD 13.C1

Escadrille SPA.73:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 11 / 16 / 17

-SPAD 7.C1

-SPAD 13.C1

Escadrille SPA.103:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 11 / 16 / 17

-SPAD 7.C1

-SPAD 13.C1

GERMAN SQUADRONS: 
The gaudily-painted machines and Pour-le-Merite wearing Aces of the German air service are well documented in WW1 history, and many elite units served among their ranks. Almost all Jastas of the war flew the most iconic German aircraft, making them a popular choice for new squadrons. 

Spoiler

Jasta 12:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Albatros D.I / D.II / D.III

-Albatros D.Va

-Fokker Dr.I

-Fokker D.VII

Jasta 15:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Albatros D.Va

-Pfalz D.IIIa

-Fokker Dr.I

-Fokker D.VII

Jasta 26:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Albatros D.III

-Albatros D.Va

-Fokker Dr.I

-Fokker D.VII

-Fokker D.VII F

Jasta 40:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Albatros D.Va

-Fokker D.VII

-Fokker D.VII F

Schlasta 26b:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Halberstadt CL.II

AMERICAN SQUADRONS: 
The Americans made an explosive entry into the war in 1918, bringing with them several units that would go on to achieve elite status. 

Spoiler

22nd Aero Squadron:

Aircraft Flown: 

-SPAD 13.C1

27th Aero Squadron:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 28.C1

-SPAD 13.C1

94th Aero Squadron:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 28.C1

-SPAD 13.C1

95th Aero Squadron:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 28.C1

-SPAD 13.C1

BELGIAN SQUADRONS: 
Although less talked about than their other Entente counterparts, the Belgians still played a large part in the air war and boasted several air aces. 

Spoiler

1re Escadrille:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 10 / 16 / 17

-Hanriot HD.1

-Sopwith Camel

11re Escadrille:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 10 / 16 / 17

-Hanriot HD.1

-Sopwith Camel

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Like 6

A listing of active multiplayer units is here, so don't forget to check on availability here first and then drop a post requesting to have your unit added to the list.

• Thanks 1

Jakobs' Jasta 7 is a greatr squadron identity that used all planes in FC (unless the BH squadron comes back and claims it back ). 

Jasta 15/18 and JG2 in general is a big unrepresented part . Not to mention these blue-red skins are great for uniform personalisation.

Now then the thought of starting some RNAS/FAA based virtual squadron at some point in the future does interest me. But rather than inspiration on what historical squadrons one can base the virtual squadron upon the barriers or questions that come to mind are how does one actually go about starting them, what does one need, what does one have to do to start them.

Edited by Oliver88

17 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

Now then the thought of starting some RNAS/FAA based virtual squadron at some point in the future does interest me. But rather than inspiration on what historical squadrons one can base the virtual squadron upon the barriers or questions that come to mind are how does one actually go about starting them, what does one need, what does one have to do to start them.

Exactly like Talby says! Really, you only need 2 guys flying wingman as each other, and a Squadron identity! Funnily enough, I was originally going to make a 'How to Start a Squadron" post here, but created this list instead. 

I can definitely still create that thread for a more in-depth explanation (in fact, I think I will), but for starters all you'd really need is a Squadron tag and one or two other people to join in! It'll grow from there...

Edited by US93_Larner

11 hours ago, US93_Larner said:

Schlasta 26b:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Halberstadt CL.II

The Schusta/Schlastas would also have flown the Roland C.II (and Albatros C.III) earlier in the war.

For anyone interested in Schlastas or looking to start their own, feel free to contact me as I have a lot of info on all of them.

As you may have noticed from the name change of myself and @J5_Helmutt-Sch27b (a.k.a. Captain Darling — he doesn't post here a lot), an official J5 announcement will follow soon.

BELGIAN SQUADRONS: 
Although less talked about than their other Entente counterparts, the Belgians still played a large part in the air war and boasted several air aces. 

Hide contents

1re Escadrille:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 10 / 16 / 17

-Hanriot HD.1

-Sopwith Camel

11re Escadrille:

Aircraft Flown: 

-Nieuport 10 / 16 / 17

-Hanriot HD.1

-Sopwith Camel

A number of Belgian pilots here, including @West, @FlyingShark, @Razneff and myself, along with honorary Belgian @J2_Trupobaw are discussing to begin the full-on Belgian Military Aviation, more or less in the style of the 3rd Pursuit Group, with individual squadron tags and historical names. This would exist separate from our normal personas, to be flown on occasion.

For now we've agreed that it makes little sense to create said air force without at least the presence of the Hanriot HD.1, and perhaps also the Belgian sector. I realise that the USAS has to make do without their historical sector, so the map is less of a priority. The Belgians also flew the SPAD VII (BMA5) and the SPAD XIII in very small numbers (BMA10). Also note that BMA1 ceased to exist around 1917 and was reformed as BMA9. There were also observer squadrons flying the R.E.8, Strutter and Breguet 14.

Of course anyone is free to do as they like, so if you're interested in starting a Belgian squadron, feel free to contact me. I have all the info you could possibly need.

"...are discussing to begin the full-on Belgian Military Aviation, more or less in the style of the 3rd Pursuit Group, with individual squadron tags and historical names."

Do it or you're choclate soldiers the whole lot of you!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, US213_Talbot said:

"...are discussing to begin the full-on Belgian Military Aviation, more or less in the style of the 3rd Pursuit Group, with individual squadron tags and historical names."

Do it or you're choclate soldiers the whole lot of you!

Hahaha, I honestly would as a side thing, but without the Hanriot our options are limited. The last thing we need in multiplayer are more Camels, and SPAD drivers are better off with you yanks.

For the moment the ball is in 1C/777's camp, and I'm just going to be rolling around in the mud in my little two-seater. 😁

2 minutes ago, J5_Hellbender-Sch27b said:

I'm just going to be rolling around in the mud in my little two-seater. 

Your friendly local top cover thanks you.

• Thanks 1

Good to see a proper two-seat unit forming....even if it's just the two of you! And good news about the Belgians arriving to the front, we need more Entente squadrons! 

71st Aces High is a squadron that has been around for many years, flying IL2 1946, Aces High, IL2 Cliffs of Dover, DCS, RoF, and now IL2 GB and IL2 FC.

We fly as No. 71 Sqn RAF, which is most notably remembered as the first of the "Eagle" squadrons.  The squadron formed during the Battle of Britain; nominally from American Volunteers serving in the RAF.  Most members were recruited through an official plan into the RCAF led by AVM W.A. “Billy” Bishop, VC, CB, DSO & Bar, MC, DFC, ED and Clayton Knight, an American who served as a fighter pilot in No 44 Sqn RFC and No 206 Sqn RAF during WWI. 

In reality, the squadron was made up of many nationalities usually led by an RAF Sqn Ldr but most of the pilots were American and Canadians serving in the RCAF because not many Europeans could tell the difference in the accent.  In October 1942 the squadron was transferred with much ceremony to the USAAF along with the other two Eagle Squadrons as 334th FS, 4th FG.  The Canadian and UK personnel were transferred to other squadrons and some of the Americans chose to remain in the RCAF or RAF instead of “going home” to the USAAF.

The squadron brought along with experience, a certain panache to the newly forming USAAF and a total lack of respect for dress regulations that only Commonwealth Fighter Pilots could pull off that drove the USAAF to distraction. A few Foreign Nationals serving the RAF, mostly from occupied countries, also transferred to the USAAF with the 334th being stood up. This led to the squadron gaining a reputation as a group of nonconformists in the RAF and USAAF.

Interestingly, this is not the first time that No 71 Squadron was viewed in this way.  During WWI the RFC accepted foreign recruited and trained squadrons in Flanders and the Middle East.  These squadrons were assigned an RFC/RAF squadron number to avoid confusion by duplicating numbers;  No 71 was assigned to No 4 Squadron AFC.

The 334th continued to fly it’s Spitfire V’s and Mk IX’s until it was reequipped with the P-47, then the P-51 as part of 8th AF.    After the war it was one of the first squadrons to reequip with the new F-86 Sabre and was the first squadron to use it operationally in Korea.  The squadron went on to have an eventful career flying the F-100, F-105 and F-4E in Vietnam, and the F-15E in the Gulf War which it still fly’s today.

Interestingly, the RAF reformed No 71 Squadron in 1950 to fly the Canadair Sabre as part of 2 TAF. The virtual squadron retains the motley character of the original, made up of nearly equal numbers of American and Canadian pilots, with a good number of Brits, and a smattering of other nationalities, back to our roots with Australians, Poles, Hungarians and other Europeans and the easygoing nature and camaraderie that must have existed in a war time fighter squadron made up from disparate backgrounds.

Edited by 71st_AH_Rob_XR-R

14 minutes ago, NO.28W_Barker said:

Is there a list of ww1 squads for FC some were? 

On 12/2/2019 at 3:11 PM, J5_Baeumer said:

A listing of active multiplayer units is here, so don't forget to check on availability here first and then drop a post requesting to have your unit added to the list.

On 12/2/2019 at 11:29 PM, US213_Talbot said:

Two or more people.

Sometimes even one is enough

• Haha 1

Thank you Larner, Not many squads I see, I guess jg1 is the biggest one at the moment. 

None in the west coast and no bomber squads, be nice to get a bomber/recon and camel/se5 squad going. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, emely said:

Speaking like a Russian in his dacha by winter settings )))
6 hours ago, NO.28W_Barker said:

Thank you Larner, Not many squads I see, I guess jg1 is the biggest one at the moment. 

None in the west coast and no bomber squads, be nice to get a bomber/recon and camel/se5 squad going. 

The actual Brisfit in not exactly bon ton for the moment yet,
But Talisman & Waggaz are pushing 56 squad, primly a SE 5 unit.

12 hours ago, emely said:

Jasta 28w is a one-person squadron.  Though all are welcome, if they want a tag in front of their name without much committment.  :)

9 hours ago, West said:
The actual Brisfit in not exactly bon ton for the moment yet,
But Talisman & Waggaz are pushing 56 squad, primly a SE 5 unit.

Not sure if its just the Bristol but my bombs aren't going off, 

Tailsman and Waggaz are in a different time zone so I never get to see them, 

I can't get Bombs to explode until I go up to 5s timer.

So a 5 sec timer is your solution !

Bit of a bummer for trying to hit things that are moving.

On the bright side I haven't blown myself up lately :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NO.28W_Barker said:

Not sure if its just the Bristol but my bombs aren't going off, 

….

I posted this earlier somewhere .

Recently spend some time comparing dropping Brisfit and Halberstadt CL.II bombs.
First timing on contact finally works (seem to remember it needed at least 3 sec or was it 5 as ZF said).
Now lobbing the Central P.u.W bombs proves quite gratifying, try any which way you want and it sets off except when swamped or dunked ))) in waterways or on the sides.
The Entente Cooper and H.E.R.L. bombs are quite more whimsical;
For starters also no swamping or dunking.
Next they need dropping from a horizontal position,  diving or climbing does not work with them.
Also those bombs need a +160m drop to acquire the proper inclination for exploding.
In fact after detaching they first drop with a 45° angle only later becoming a say 60° angle from slowing down and which needs al together a + 160m drop.
Still dropping on a slope is enough to get a dud I presume cause of an off angle contact.
They may also not explode on buildings, bridges or trees probably for the same reason, who knows ...
Somewhere beyond my paygrade of making sense of I presume )))
Edited by West

Wow seems like we need to practice bristle bombing to get it right, Will for sure need a good bristle squad and maybe a training server, 

Bristol Squad, you say? Can't be anything other than No. 20. Highest scoring RFC / RAF outfit of the war - 613 air victories!!

Edited by US93_Larner

Then it's no 20_Barker for me, a new carrier for Mr. Barker, Also will have to add some camels for low cover while the 103's are up high.

Thanks for the info.