361st_Bugsy

How do I get rid of this rediculous circle on terrain

Hey Gents

I was doing some testing for my graphics today and I notice this rediculous circle that appears on the terrain but its around my plane. Is there any way to get rid of this is. Its an immersion killer to say the least.

Heres a Pic

1.jpg

Edited by 361st_Bugsy

That circle is the range where tree rendering stops. That range is determined by graphic preset (low, medium, high and ultra). 

you only notice it if you really look for it. In normal flight from in cockpit, you will not notice it.

^ Nope, it's quite bad, It struck me when I was looking around from the cockpit during my first flights in BoBP.

Seems to be much more noticeable on Rheinland map compared to Kuban, where it was almost a non-issue. Maybe because the trees on the former ar darker than on the latter, so they just blend worse? 

Well it definitely is an eye sore, I mean in all of the flightsims out on the market none of them have this weird circle around the aircraft and its a screenshot killer and your trying to make a movie or a wallpaper of the game and have to look at this...There has to be a way that the developers can fix this please and the pilots that stand out of the cockpit that too must be fixed.

Edited by 361st_Bugsy

it is not a graphical issue, it is a cpu computation issue. It has been there since BoS and has been in every game since then. You limit the distance at which trees and other objects are drawn, so you can have decent frame rates. The Devs can easily fix it, by having the program draw every tree out to the horizon, but no one will have a computer able to play the game. 😎

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sgt_Joch said:

you only notice it if you really look for it. In normal flight from in cockpit, you will not notice it.

It is hugely noticeable and irritating on the Moscow map, since that has forests all over the place.  Kuban only has a few patches of trees.

Drawing trees is a cpu issue, but matching the colours is not. Surely the colour of the trees and the underlying forest texture could be much closer, reducing the transition.

• Upvote 3

Maybe they could introduce a "transition zone", a gradient to fade the effect smoothly out? That way there will be no "hard cut"?

• Upvote 1

I wish they would do something.

Whilst I find this game in the main incredibly pretty, this is something I really notice after I've been flying dcs (loving the f16 at the moment).

Edited by DD_fruitbat

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Put distant landscape detail to 3x or 4x and it should push that circle out further. It isn't going away but it becomes less noticeable.

I may be wrong, but I believe that setting only impacts ground textures, not object render range.

Was going to enter into this fray but I've been drinking so best keep my mouth shut.........

Colour Calibration  of monitor and not using low gama will help to a certain extent

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, unreasonable said:

It is hugely noticeable and irritating on the Moscow map, since that has forests all over the place.  Kuban only has a few patches of trees.

Drawing trees is a cpu issue, but matching the colours is not. Surely the colour of the trees and the underlying forest texture could be much closer, reducing the transition.

You probably need to tweak your settings. I just played a few QMBs on the Rheinland and Moscow maps, the tree rendering line or colour transition is not noticeable under normal playing conditions on my system. Even when I really look hard for it, the colour transition is only noticeable under certain light conditions and even then it is subtle and easy to miss. 

try these settings to see if it helps:

-graphic preset: high or ultra

-landscape filter: blurred

-distant landscape detail: 2x 

The Blurred landscape filter does help a bit with this, as does turning off 'sharpen', but for me sharpen off makes ID'ing planes tricky. Also, dialing up your settings to Ultra pushes this render bubble out further. 

2 hours ago, Sgt_Joch said:

You probably need to tweak your settings. I just played a few QMBs on the Rheinland and Moscow maps, the tree rendering line or colour transition is not noticeable under normal playing conditions on my system. Even when I really look hard for it, the colour transition is only noticeable under certain light conditions and even then it is subtle and easy to miss. 

try these settings to see if it helps:

-graphic preset: high or ultra

-landscape filter: blurred

-distant landscape detail: 2x 

It is clear on mine. I am on ultra, sharp and x4, gamma 1.0   I think that it is just that some people notice things like this more than others, and if you are spending your time searching for contacts or fighting naturally you will notice it less. If you are navigating on a long patrol in Career on the Moscow map it is very hard not to notice. It just irritates, that is all - it is not the end of the world! 

2019_12_3__13_30_27.thumb.jpg.00533265b674f3fb10dc13d4656301b0.jpg

You can see that the treed area is a mix of dark green and olive green/brown, while the underlying texture is almost completely olive green/brown. If the texture was a speckled mix of the two colours the transition would be much less obvious.

Edited by unreasonable

ok, I am not seeing anything that stark even when I specifically look for it.

Again, try "blurred" landscape filter. The various landscape filters: "sharp", "blurred" do not have much of a visual impact at close range and do not affect spotting IMHO. However, "Blurred" and 2x distant landscape detail got rid of long range terrain shimmering and aliasing on my system and improved the overall look of the terrain.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

I have tried blurred: see pic.   The transition looks pretty much the same to me: otherwise I find sharp to make the game look better but it is harder to pick out low contacts.  I suppose this may be made worse by playing at 4K, but I am certainly not reducing my resolution!  This is not a problem of my graphics settings, it is a problem that the tree colours and the background texture colours are too different.

2019_12_3__15_12_38.thumb.jpg.7aa56bf0d2cc39fef44fcfbf350c5557.jpg

21 hours ago, 361st_Bugsy said:

I mean in all of the flightsims out on the market none of them have this weird circle around the aircraft

Yes, they all do. Some aren't as noticeable because the render stop for the terrain is equal to where the objects no longer render, or use tons of haze to mask it. In fact, in many of them you can see shaded circles varying from below your plane to the end of the terrain render.

Edited by FuriousMeow

I'm pretty sure that I see the circle on the DCS Normandy map.
I'd have to load it up to be sure I'm not talking b.s. and getting the two confused, but I'm pretty sure there is a forest tree render circle there as well.

I understand the need for it, I just wish it was "blended" better so it wasn't so abrupt and noticeable.

For me the pop up of trees in dense forests is ...ok...  it’s the individual trees along roads that bugs me a bit... 

anywho... the devs have done so much with fixing stuff... I’m sure in the future this will be ‘blended out’ so to say :)

2 hours ago, FuriousMeow said:

Yes, they all do. Some aren't as noticeable because the render stop for the terrain is equal to where the objects no longer render, or use tons of haze to mask it. In fact, in many of them you can see shaded circles varying from below your plane to the end of the terrain render.

Then FSX, DCS and others have a better way I hiding it cause Ive never seen a circle that goes around my plane. Im not upset or anything and I love this game but when you make videos or take alot of screen shots for skins that you've created its get kinds of drab to see that there. Thats what im trying to say. i hope the developers do in the future make a blend or filter to hide it...

Edited by 361st_Bugsy

7 hours ago, Zeev said:

Here are my settings:

https://ibb.co/t2YF7pR
https://ibb.co/3150p0b
https://ibb.co/swXJBR0
https://ibb.co/cF0TqtS

I personally do not see drop in quality in those pictures but correct me if I am wrong.

It is clearly there: RH side in the first one: did not look at the others. As I said, some people just notice this kind of thing more.

1985000024_Acapture.thumb.JPG.00a23611a64bfd7d7acf1963ffdfa5e5.JPG

Edited by unreasonable