Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Steven

Contact Spotting

When the P51, P38, Tempest and Rheinland map was released we had much better contact spotting. Arguably too far, but definetely better than what it's been reverted to.

Unless I play on Berloga or whatever has the super spotting on, I basically can't see anything and just fly around alone for an hour and a half.

Surely this issue is at the top of the list so the game is playable again, yes?

• Like 2

Well, this might be hardware related issue as i can spot everything fine with my 50inch 1080p display. 

Every once in a while i play with 24 inch 1080p display and spotting becomes harder.

I personally like the current spotting and plane rendering system.

You can turn of sharpen

You can turn of antialiasing

You can also try to adjust gamma to 0.8 or edit it to even lower in your games startup.cfg (from 0.5-0.8).

You can try bigger monitor, tm8 uses 3 and he can see better then me ( but still contacts abow forrest from close get lost )

Check for other sugestions in technical section ...

I've played around with a few things. I did the gamma to 0.5 but I may not have done it properly because I didn't notice a difference.

I guess I'll keep messing around but with these settings, right after that first big update, this game was glorious and beautiful, like there was a massive battle going on. Now even in a jam packed 80 player server it just feels like nothing's going on. The only way I can find an enemy is if I fly right over their airfield and wait for someone to start climbing out.

I've got a 27" gaming monitor on 1080p

6 hours ago, Mr_Steven said:

When the P51, P38, Tempest and Rheinland map was released we had much better contact spotting. Arguably too far, but definetely better than what it's been reverted to.

Unless I play on Berloga or whatever has the super spotting on, I basically can't see anything and just fly around alone for an hour and a half.

Surely this issue is at the top of the list so the game is playable again, yes?

there has been much discussion about this, currently there is a thread about "contrast change and zoom" in the bug reports that thor did some great work testing

It's IMO a bug where aircraft have very little contrast when no playing fully zoomed in. the setting tweaking seems to have little effect on this issue, and the people who seem to not have this problem have very large screens, some magic software or hardware combination and are flying fully zoomed in. they will fight you tooth and nail over this issue, and often claim messing with video settings are the fix...which i do not believe is true 

but you are not the only one that feels the game was more "fun" before "expert spotting" was introduced

Edited by gimpy117
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mr_Steven said:

I've played around with a few things. I did the gamma to 0.5 but I may not have done it properly because I didn't notice a difference.

I guess I'll keep messing around but with these settings, right after that first big update, this game was glorious and beautiful, like there was a massive battle going on. Now even in a jam packed 80 player server it just feels like nothing's going on. The only way I can find an enemy is if I fly right over their airfield and wait for someone to start climbing out.

Change edit to gamma last. As when ever you change any graphic settings in game, it will be reseted back to 0.8 if you have it edited in startup to below it. So maybe thats the reason you didnt noticed changes.

Just now, Mr_Steven said:

Did you try 0.8 gamma in the game settings when the game is running, better with 0.8? I suggest you better to set the Landscape filter to blurry and Landscape detail to Normal paired with Ultra Graphic Settings because it improve the View Draw Distance to see planes better. I think the most of us play MP on Low Settings and even blurry the Landscape. There are moments in the game where planes in a distance of 1.38 km just vanish how to fight a plane what you not even see where you should see it?

• Upvote 1

It is a pity that I do not see anything now in this SIM, a couple of kilometers and you lose a contact against the floor, for me they left worse than ever the visibility in this SIM.