Bremspropeller

Mosquito bites

So, as everybody is concentrating on the other airplanes (Typhoon anybody?), let's have a brief talk about the Mosquito.

What kind of missions and weaponry can we expect?

Would it be feasable to fly a Coastal Command Mosquito on the map?

Most of their action against KG 40 happened over the Bay of Biscay, but I'm quite sure there's stuff to do over the Channel.

Your thoughts...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i hope for a „TseTse“ Mk.XVIII modification = replacing the 4 20mm with one 57mm canon

The rest is 2x250kg bombs in the bombbay, wingbombracks are possible, rockets too!

And for he missions, lowlevel runs on targets in occupied france - TALLY HO!

A B.IV modification as a pure bomber is most probably a bridge too far.....perhaps in the future we will see a B.IV, IX or XVI as a collector plane. No need to build a bombardier station, just switch from pilot to bombsight and back. With a cookie modification BUMM

Edited by III/JG53Frankyboy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am glad we are getting the FB version, it's the most versatile version and should allow for lots of variety.

Antishipping sure is possible with those payloads. In RL it was relegated to Bs or FBs? Not that it matters in game, I would want to do it anyway!

Just now, danielprates said:

I am glad we are getting the FB version, it's the most versatile version and should allow for lots of variety.

Antishipping sure is possible with those payloads. In RL it was relegated to Bs or FBs? Not that it matters in game, I would want to do it anyway!

Anti-shipping was the role of FB VIs and FB XVIIIs. B.IVs and B.XVIs did more bombing and reconnaissance.

From reading, 2x500lbs internal and 2x500bls on underwing racks, as well as 8xRP3 seems like the main options. 57m appears like a far out option.

Cannon ammo is completely unclear from my reading.  I'm finding anywhere from 150rpg to 500rpg. Was this just up to the mission in question?

28 minutes ago, ruby_monkey said:

You don't fancy baiting les Boches in a photorecon version?

Recon missions in career mode is something they promissed us when a roadmap of sorts emerged, around 1y ago. I am still looking foward to that!

PR blue is a very handsome look for the mossie. 

340mph on the deck at +18lbs boost makes it very fast.

With 150 Octane, that goes to ~360mph.

I guess one modification could be less powerful Merlin 23 that some early Mk VIs were fitted with.

"Tsetse" version is also viable since it is basically the same airframe and engine, just with a 57mm 6 pdr fitted.

I could do much more damage with this setup than lowflying counterparts 

and obtain a longer life span

67173DAF-DDAC-4374-848B-B2AB40CBA168.jpeg

• Like 1

Life span? Pfft. Goggles on, chocks away, last one back's a **** 😛

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm looking forward to some low level/high speed interdiction missions against airfields and rail yards, though anti shipping has it's appeal, and, it's challenges as well.

7 minutes ago, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

Life span? Pfft. Goggles on, chocks away, last one back's a **** 😛

I like a cannon equipped too. But would appreciate a bomb sight version too. 
I know it is a lot to ask for, but one can try. 
I agree in this

6 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I'm looking forward to some low level/high speed interdiction missions against airfields and rail yards, though anti shipping has it's appeal, and, it's challenges as well.

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

So, as everybody is concentrating on the other airplanes (Typhoon anybody?), let's have a brief talk about the Mosquito.

Most of their action against KG 40 happened over the Bay of Biscay, but I'm quite sure there's stuff to do over the Channel.

Your thoughts...

You REALLY wanna sink a uboat huh?

Just joking man. Like all your posts.  To this day now if Inhear my sharona I think of a P51B with you in it. Lol.

For the typhoon theres a mission I really hope someone makes.

Maybe Clostermann flew. It?  Or spmeone else? Mark Felton made a vid on it.  A Typhoon pilot flew over Paris made a good show and sprayed the Gestapo HQ up with 20mm cannon fire.  IIRC a totally unauthorized flight abd solo too :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Your thoughts...

I have a plan.

I’ll talk more about it after the P-47 campaign is delivered.

• Like 1

+1 for @No.322_LuseKofte 's glass nose :)

This is a good read too

T4T.jpg.7405e116d19038ab6c0edf022473b511.jpg

Then there would be no worries about RPG :) Not that I expect that we will get a bomber variant or a Tse Tse, it'll be a Mk.VI with the rocket option, in keeping with the Sturmovik theme, which is just fine too.

Edited by Pict

12 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Your thoughts...

In real life, 2 TAF Mosquito missions were carefully planned and executed, plus they were often carried out at low altitudes. Mosquitos also carried out night attack missions, sometimes dropping flares to illuminate targets of opportunity, sometimes relying on medium bombers (B-25s) to drop the flares. In many respects Mosquito missions would make for an ideal scripted campaign.

Tiffievibe009-001.jpg

Tiffievibe010-001.jpg

Tiffievibe005-001.jpg

Edited by NZTyphoon
Spelling error
  • Like 1

Way back when in the olden days of EAW, I flew online with No.105 , The Dinger Squadron. We flew Mosquitoes mainly. The flight model was terrible to be sure, but it was some of the best times I ever had flying a sim. I haven't heard from many of those guys in years. The only one I've seen on this forum is No 105_Swoose. I hope some of those guys might find their way here.

I'm really looking forward to flying some intruder missions. I do think some photo recon missions would be just the ticket too.

I remember reading the only thing that could catch a photo recon Mosquito up high was a Me-262... the Mosquito pilots were surprised when they showed up and started shooting at them

Really looking forward to the mossie, such a fantastic aircraft. Think from a mission creation standpoint it will allow for some nice tactical raid missions, low level all the way

cf63e4bef8a493647aea649581edfc7e.jpg

Some FB.VI were used at night too... mainly in an intruder role.

I am hoping for some Coastal Command gameplay (interacting with the Ju-88C-6a?)

If the Tse-Tse is indeed that similar it could also be a good collector's plane!

14 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Some FB.VI were used at night too... mainly in an intruder role.

;)

I see the Mossie and the 410 occupying the same roles.  Day attack missions, night attack missions, fighter intercepts.  

On 12/1/2019 at 3:16 AM, Bremspropeller said:

Would it be feasible to fly a Coastal Command Mosquito on the map?

If you are a stickler (AKA anal retentive) then the answer based strictly on the map is NO. The jpegs show squadrons with their rough date of acquiring FB Mk VIs, and their assigned base (and transfers). Coastal Command bases are either off the left side of the map or waaaaay off the top of the map (northern coast of Scotland). Having said that, I'm all for including them just to get the rockets and the Mk XVIII. Various sources say between 19 and 29 of these were procured. They only carried 24 rounds for the 57mm, and eventually reduced the machine guns to two. Of note missing 618 Sqdn of Coastal Command trained with B Mk IVs (bombers) with the plan to use the Highball to attack shipping (Tirpitz). As it turned out that plan was scrapped, the crews scattered (later to be re-assembled to be sent to Australia) and a few were tasked to test the 57mm. These crew were 618 Sqdn Special Detachment assigned for administrative purposes to 248 Sqdn (just as they were converting from Beaufighters).  Also not shown is 254 Sqdn that acquired a couple of Mk XVIIIs in March 1945. Contrary to the 2 TAF trilogy of books, I cannot find any reference to night fighter squadrons getting any Tsetse Mosquitos.

Otherwise the three squadrons 23 Sqdn (returning from the Med inJun 44), 169 Sqdn and 515 Sqdn were assigned to 100 Group in support of Bomber Command. Some Mk VIs were equipped with radar, like 23 Sqdn's after being assigned to 100 Group, but I'm unsure how many of 169 and 515 were modified.

863390667_FBVISqdns100GroupCoastalCommandv2.thumb.jpg.9a235febf352d0d2c106c10ea912cc0a.jpg

The other FB Mk VI squadrons you could reasonably expect to see, six came from 2nd Group of Bomber Command that were assigned to 2 TAF. You can see when they transferred to the continent. You can see how these six were split between two wings, staying together (except for brief 2 weeks transfers elsewhere). The last two FB Mk VIs squadrons were 11 Group of Fighter Command up until Nov 1944. These squadrons were dedicated night intruder squadrons from their days in the Boston/Havoc. They rarely carried bombs, and never rockets. The 2nd Group squadrons flew a lot of day sorties prior to D-Day and afterwards the bulk of their sorties were at night (while the Bostons and Mitchells flew mostly day sorties). 2 TAF stood up in June 1943, and according to Martin W Bowman 2nd Group was assigned on 1 Jun 43. I'm searching my references but don't see any pictures of these airplanes carrying rockets, rather slipper tanks or bombs under the wings. [Always happy to be shown evidence they did...] And if one is sticking to the historical imperative and apparent map limitations, not all of these squadrons would be available all the time.

1482824299_FBVISqdnsto2TAF.thumb.jpg.a1a7a148d2c49eb1b7677ddc22e4d284.jpg

Edited by busdriver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, CanadaOne said:

4000lb bomb, or else why bother.

"Crowd Pleaser" as back in the Jurassic era we referred to Warsaw Pact central heating...

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Mosquito?

4000lb bomb, or else why bother.

"Beeg badaboom!" :cool:

We're getting the FB VI, so no cookie for you.

• Sad 1

To get you in the mood...

517DGRHoQhL.jpg

This is the story of 2 Group RAF during World War II. Much of it is told by the men who flew the Blenheim, Boston, Mitchell and Mosquito aircraft that carried out many daring daylight and night-time raids on vitally important targets in Nazi occupied Europe and Germany. These were not the famous thousand bomber raids that hit the wartime headlines, but low-level, fast-moving surprise raids flown by small formations of fleet-footed and skilfully piloted twin-engine light bombers. Their targets were usually difficult to locate and heavily defended because of their strategic importance to the Nazis. 2 Group also played a vital part in the invasion of Europe both before and after D-Day. Often they would fly at wave-top height across the English Channel or North Sea to avoid detection and then hedge-hop deep into enemy territory to deliver their precision attack. Enemy fighters and anti-aircraft fire were a constant risk. This is a remarkable story of skill and bravery by a little known branch of the RAF.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Megalax said:

But I like cookies. :cray:

1 hour ago, Megalax said:

That would be a real pitty. Maybe they can mod that different noses, bays and engines of the IV or XVI in. Would love to have cookies available.

cookie.jpg

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

But I like cookies. :cray:

4,000 lb cookies bad for the teeth. 🍪

Cookie-monster-2-clipart.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The B.XVI - and therefore the cookie - was almost exclusively used for night bombing missions over Germany. 

Like the luftwhiners bemoaning the presence of the Ju-88C-6 and the lack of a Ju-188/Ju-88S/Do-217/He-177, sure they'd all be nice to haves but while Air Interception Radar, Jamming, Window and even more importantly a map covering both the UK and at least the Ruhr in one are all developmental pie-in-the sky conjecture, the FB.VI is the only appropriate Mosquito variant for the day time light tactical bombing, and as such will get a lotta love from yours truly.

Rockets and Mosquitoes were a Coastal Command thing and only from 1945; if we get a Norway map, fabulous, but the only thing I'll be loading on my Mossie in Normandy or Rhineland is good ol' 500lbers.

Amiens Prison Raid anyone....:joy:

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Hells yeah, low level raids especially the amien prison raid would be great as co-op 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tyberan said:

Hells yeah, low level raids especially the amien prison raid would be great as co-op 

Lots of other high profile low level missions to pick from as well.

Don't think the WiP map shows the Hague (Kleykamp gallery), and certainly wouldn't reach Copenhagen (Shell House Raid).

Unfortunately a great deal of 2 Group Mosquito daylight ops post invasion were those targeting Gestapo and SS enclaves in an effort to support of the SAS operations Bulbasket and Houndsworth in Central France, and these it would appear will be outside of the map boundaries.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

9 hours ago, Tyberan said:

Sure!

amiens1.jpg

amiens2.jpg