Sign in to follow this  
=SFG=capt_nasties

HP reverb vs Valve Index buyers guide IL2

Just in time for cyber monday / tech tuesday HP Reverb VS Valve Index buyers guide!   I do loads of testing / seat time IL2.  Hopefully this is of value to this community. 

buyers guide 

Set up guide

Edited by capt_nasties
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Nice review. I agree almost in all your comments. But I kept the Index for IL-2 despite of the weight problem. Worst thing for me of the Reverb was the sweetspot and smaller FOV

More here:

• Upvote 1

That thread is what motivated me to try the reverb I ended the live stream testing on that thread u made and gave u huge shout out!  

Edited by capt_nasties

That was most excellent @capt_nasties and very well done, thank you so much for doing this and sharing!

I think I learned more on the two headsets from this video than anywhere else so far.

For me and my preferences, if I were to add another headset at this time pretty sure I would go with the Index.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Gomoto said:

Nice guide but Index set is 1079 euro versus Reverb 598 euro. 

He is not talking about the full set. The base kit of Index is 539 euro, but it seems in Europe it does not include even the one base station. So unfortunately the same set, with one base sation cost 698 euro.

12 minutes ago, Starcos said:

He is not talking about the full set. The base kit of Index is 539 euro, but it seems in Europe it does not include even the one base station. So unfortunately the same set, with one base sation cost 698 euro.

And for that price you get no controller at all. Even if most people here are flight sim fans before all, buying an expensive VR headset and have no access to any other VR game, no Google Earth, no AFS2/Flyinside with clickable VR cockpit, sounds a bit disheartening.

Yes, Valve is hurting themselves with this pricing scheme in Europe. 

And I am very content with Reverb as well. 

thats a bummer about the euro pricing for the index, my buddy who brought over the index for 2 days of testing paid $650 for the head set, and 1 light house, no controllers.  which is not much of an issue for crazy people who only use the head set for flying / driving.  I might be an outlier, but I have 0 interest in "main stream" or "room scale" VR titles.  none.  

On 11/30/2019 at 7:08 PM, capt_nasties said:

Just in time for cyber monday / tech tuesday HP Reverb VS Valve Index buyers guide!   I do loads of testing / seat time IL2.  Hopefully this is of value to this community

Hey Nasties, just watched your Index vs Reverb video and liked it a lot, thanks for that. Your other video talks about RAM overclocking and the effect on IL2. I don't quite have time to watch it, wondering if I can get some advice: I have an 8086K at 5.0ghz, with 3200-CAS 16 RAM that I'm running at 3466 CAS-16, and an EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra (the one with the beefy cooler). Am I likely to see any gains moving to better RAM? What was your non-XMP setting for that RAM?

@Alonzo. Given all you do for the community I will do a benchmarking test at 3200, 3600, 4000 and 4400 video just for you.  I have not tested ram overclocking independently yet and many people ask about it.  I only run XMP to OC the ram for the time being, but I would love to learn more about manual ram overclocking / tightening up my timings.  I am at CL19 currently

Edited by capt_nasties
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, haltux said:

And for that price you get no controller at all. Even if most people here are flight sim fans before all, buying an expensive VR headset and have no access to any other VR game, no Google Earth, no AFS2/Flyinside with clickable VR cockpit, sounds a bit disheartening.

I agree every word.

I wouldn't buy half a kit, even if I use it mostly for sims. And Index is sadly just too pricey. (And Reverb doesn't have IPD adjustment, so I'm screwed ;) )

Edited by Starcos

9 hours ago, Starcos said:

I agree every word.

I wouldn't buy half a kit, even if I use it mostly for sims. And Index is sadly just too pricey. (And Reverb doesn't have IPD adjustment, so I'm screwed ;) )

the reverb has adjustable IPD, although its through software and not a mechanical adjustment, i believe it has 58mm all the way to 70mm and is definitely adjustable

Edited by capt_nasties

1 hour ago, capt_nasties said:

the reverb has adjustable IPD, although its through software and not a mechanical adjustment, i believe it has 58mm all the way to 70mm and is definitely adjustable

Not to nitpick, but "software only" is what a lot of people mean when they say "doesn't have IPD adjustment" for a headset. Here's Palmer Lucky ranting about why the difference is important: http://palmerluckey.com/i-cant-use-rift-s-and-neither-can-you/

I suspect Starcos knows he/she is outside the sweet spot for the "universal IPD" lenses that Reverb / Rift S use, and doesn't enjoy the headaches / blur they induce. Fortunately my IPD is 63mm so I'm all good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capt_nasties said:

the reverb has adjustable IPD, although its through software

Completely useless. I bought Reverb last week and returned it after 3 days mainly because I could not make it working with my 65mm IPD. Also sweet spot was tiny and tracking in dark room was terrible. 

After upgrading my computer to a  i9-9900 with 2080 ti I now feel once again ready if VR is ready for me.  :)

On my old computer I was not satisfied with the Rift and my computer was not powerful enough.  So I returned it. 

After seeing a lot of reviews of the HP Reverb I ordered one.  I have a feeling that the higher resolution of the Reverb will be more of my taste than the Rift was. 

Will be interesting to see if I finally will give up my long time trusted TrackIr5 in the skies of IL2.  Time will tell. 

I ordered the HP Reverb but I am confused if there is a Pro version and a version 2? I have read that there were issues with the first version. 

By the way many thanks to you capt_nasties for your video about cons and pros of the Reverb and Index. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZzoSYU2ygM

V2 is all they sell now. Pro version has a different facial interface is the only difference from standard version I believe 

Edited by capt_nasties

14 hours ago, capt_nasties said:

As Alonzo said, what I heard about sw ipd adjustment, doesn't sound too good.

Too bad, my friends praise the Reverb for sims, but for me, it's not good, nor the Rift S. Index is too expensive, Cosmos is crap. Bad time to have a big head ;)

Edited by Starcos

Would there be a point in ever trying the Reverb (or any VR headset for IL2) when running a regular, higher clocked 1080? I'd hate to spend all the money, installing all that crap "driver" (and whatever else it does) software for getting a stutterfest.

I'd love to have the Reverb as an option, however with a 70mm IPD this headset won't work,  it's the Index for the next year or two.

@Alonzo I am working on the ram overclocking video, but got distracted yesterday for about 6 hours by this amazing IL2 server called "combat box" you should try it some time 😁

In all seriousness I am researching manual ram overclocking it seems I can probably make some good improvements by tightening up my timings, and given that I have a premium bin samsung B die kit I might as well use what I paid for...more to come! 

• Like 1