Sign in to follow this  
Pajeka

Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 5

Hi guys, Mail recently received from Christer, thought you would like to be kept up to date....

"Hello dear friends,

I am now working full time on Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 5, and am making great progress. If you are happy with Volume 4, I think you will find Volume 5 even better. There is so much really sensational material there. My plan is to have this volume published in the summer of 2020.

I attach a small excerpt from the raw and unedited manuscript, dealing with one of the days during the famous Air Battle over Kuban (which nevertheless so far has not been covered in any history writing).

I would like to turn to you, my friends, and ask you for support for this volume, either by crowdfunding (100 USD or above) or by ordering a copy at the ordinary price of 60 USD. In both cases, it is for a hard cover copy with aircraft color profiles.

If so, please send me an e-mail to vaktelforlag@gmail.com and transfer the amount to my PayPal account:
vaktelforlag@gmail.com

If PayPal is inconvenient, please let me know and I can send an ordinary invoice with bank details.

Those who support this book through crowdfunding will receive a personally signed and numbered hardcover copy with aircraft color profiles, and with a special dedication that will probably make it attractive for collectors.

As mentioned, this book series is, in fact, living from hand to mouth, and each subsequent volume is totally dependant on the success of the previous volume, and its crowdfunding.

My goal is to get just 125 crowdfunders to contribute at least $100 each for Volume 5 (plus postage), it can be published within a couple of months. And the crowdfunders will also have their names printed as an acknowledgment in the book.

Anyone who can find a new crowdfunder (someone who has not crowdfunded Vol. 4), willing to order a copy of Volume 5 at the crowdfunder price of at least USD$ 100, gets a 10 % discount off my price of USD$ 60 from me on that volume. Please ask any new crowdfunder (or anyone who wishes to order a signed hardcopy Volume 5 at my regular price of USD$ 60) to e-mail me at vaktelforlag@gmail.com.

I will e-mail all of you regular updates on the progress of the book, and the crowdfunders will also receive regular excerpts from the manuscript etc.

Anyone who has not ordered a personally signed hardcover copy of Volume 4 (with color profiles), is of course welcome to do so at vaktelforlag@gmail.com

Please help me to spread the word!

All help and support with this will be received with the utmost gratitude.

You can read more about Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 5 here:

https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/black-cross-red-star-air-war-eastern-front-volume-5-great-air-battles-kuban-kursk-april-july-1943/

All the best,"
  • Upvote 1

For your information, further update just received from Christer......

Hello,

I am turning to all of you who pre-ordered Black Cross/Red Star, Vol. 4. There is something that worries me about this book series.

I am now working full time on Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 5, and am making great progress. On 12 January, I am going to research the Bundesarchiv for a week for this book. If you are happy with Volume 4, I think you will find Volume 5 even better. There is so much really sensational material there. My plan is to have this volume published in the summer of this year, 2020.

As mentioned previously, this book series is, in fact, living from hand to mouth, and each subsequent volume is totally dependant on the success of the previous volume, and its crowdfunding.

My goal is to get just 125 crowdfunders to contribute at least USD $100 each for Volume 5 (plus postage). Then it can be published within a couple of months. And the crowdfunders will also have their names printed as an acknowledgment in the book.

I also need as many ordinary pre-orders as possible for USD 60 (plus postage) for a signed hardcover copy.

However, I am beginning to worry about Black Cross/Red Star, Vol. 5. 

So far, I have no more than 33 pre-orders, including crowdfunders. 

What is even more worrying is that sales of Volume 4 have more or less stopped. No more than nine (9) copies were sold world-wide the past month.

So Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 5 is in a desperate need of  crowdfunders and more pre-orders. 

In order to calculate whether a publication and continued priority work on that book are realistic, I would like to ask every one of you who considers making a pre-order or an offer for crowdfunding to do so now.

Please note:

YOU DON’T HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING NOW (BUT OF COURSE IT IS WELCOME IF YOU DO), BUT EVEN A PROMISE FOR A PREORDER OR A CROWDFUNDING WHERE YOU PAY LATER THIS YEAR WOULD HELP VERY MUCH.

(If it will be economically impossible to publish the Black Cross/Red Star series, I will of course re-pay those of you who have paid to my PayPal account; I haven't touched that account, all the money will remain there until I either use them to publish the book, or I return the money to the payers.)

Anyone who can find a new crowdfunder (someone who has not crowdfunded Vol. 4), willing to order a hardcover copy of Volume 5 at the crowdfunder price of at least USD$ 100, gets a 10 % discount off my price of USD$ 60 from me on that volume. Please ask any new crowdfunder (or anyone who wishes to order a signed hardcopy Volume 5 at my regular price of USD$ 60) to e-mail me at vaktelforlag@gmail.com. Please note: Only to vaktelforlag@gmail.com

Please also help me to spread the word!

All help and support with this will be received with the utmost gratitude.

You can read more about Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 5 here:

https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/black-cross-red-star-air-war-eastern-front-volume-5-great-air-battles-kuban-kursk-april-july-1943/

All the best & a Happy New Year!

Christer Bergström”

These are definitely the best and most comprehensive books on the subject. I thought I knew a lot about the subject, until I read Christers books.

I have my copy of Volume 4 and crowfunded the Volume 5

The best book of his kind

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, darthdooboss said:

Same here!!!

3 hours ago, darthdooboss said:

Likewise - crowdfunded vol 4 and 5. Just gotta support Christer and his incredible work!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Got my copy of Vol. 4 and crowfunded Vol. 5, I really hope that the series will go on. 

• Like 1

S!

Good news is that after Volume 5 there will be updated versions of Volumes 1-3! So good times ahead. 

• Upvote 3

I just read the first of his "Arnhem 1944" books. It is a remarkable work. Regardless if you think you knew much of that (I thought so and I was wrong, as usual) or little, the book has a very special way of telling that story while incorporating existing narratives (like the movie and the book "A Bridge Too Far") into the events detailing the characters and actually making sense of many things that happened and putting them into perspective. After finishing the second book, I'll certainly fetch that bluray from my shelf and have another look at the film.

Again, as in all of his books what stands out is Christers dedication to each of the participants that he can describe as the human beings they were, with their strenghts and their shortcomings. It makes so much of the "bad decisons" (labeled such with the advantage of hindsight) actually plausible and sometimes even reasonable ones.

Also it points out in a very clear manner that battles were lost in other ways than previously thought. It is also very straightforward to read with the pictures to introduce the people and the battlefields, then and now. I feared it to be rather dry material. Far from ist. It is also a very personal account, in many ways.

• Like 1

This topic should be send to General discussion page! If this kind of marketing is allowed? Just noticed 1C email and by accident I saw Special request from the Devs to support Christers work. I will buy vol.4 and crowfund vol.5. Will order 1-3 when a new editions are available!

On 1/10/2020 at 4:35 AM, SYN_Ricky said:

Got my copy of Vol. 4 and crowfunded Vol. 5, I really hope that the series will go on. 

I'd still waiting for my copy of Volume 4...sent payment 4 months ago.

1 hour ago, TRRA15 said:

Write him again, usually he's quick in following up on such matters.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:17 AM, TRRA15 said:

Same thing happened to me. I contacted him and he sent out another copy straight away. 

On 2/2/2020 at 4:05 PM, ZachariasX said:

Write him again, usually he's quick in following up on such matters.

On 2/6/2020 at 5:41 PM, JohnHolmes said:

Same thing happened to me. I contacted him and he sent out another copy straight away. 

Thanks for the advice. Very good. I just received a reply stating the book will be sent.

S!

The update schedule for those 1-3 will be in between the releases 5 thru 8. Yes, 8 volumes of goodness! So in short release would be like 5, 1, 6, 2, 7, 3, 8.

Ok, I see.

I have read 1 and 2, then I bought 4, but I don't want to read it before I get hold of 3, for which I was waiting for the updated version ....

14 minutes ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

Ok, I see.

I have read 1 and 2, then I bought 4, but I don't want to read it before I get hold of 3, for which I was waiting for the updated version ....

Let me ruin it for you: The Germans lose.

• Sad 1

On 1/27/2020 at 4:39 PM, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

Good news is that after Volume 5 there will be updated versions of Volumes 1-3! So good times ahead. 

I have copies of 1-4, it will cost me a fortune to get them replaced with updated copies!! 

Any chance the updated information can be released separately?

5 hours ago, JG5_Schuck said:

I have copies of 1-4, it will cost me a fortune to get them replaced with updated copies!! 

Any chance the updated information can be released separately?

The books are not expensive and extremely good print and binding quality. It is well worth buying the book. Like this you are also a better help to Christer for creating further volumes.

S!

I have talked to Mr. Bergström over phone and he said the old editions are way too expensive. This was because of the publisher at the time etc. Their price will be less than those sold these days.

• Thanks 2

I just finished reading Vol 4 that covers the period from Stalingrad to Kuban. It’s a must read for IL-2 BoX simers who want to learn more about the aerial clashes between Russian and German aviators. Tactical situation, locations, time and the units involved as well as their successes and losses have been investigated masterfully. Christer's thorough research shines through in this book. The author brings alive those that took part, taking viewpoints from involved pilots, their commanders and contemporary witnesses. It brings the reader so close to the action that you could almost share firsthand the excitement and fear of the pilots. Maps and photographs are excellent as are the included aircraft color profiles. I'm really looking forward to Vol 5.

• Upvote 1