SAG

Having Trouble Deciding

So I've been reading through many threads and posts here on the forum trying to determine if the Pimax 5K +, the Valve Index or the Oculus Rift S is the best VR headset for IL2, and I have only gotten more confused with what I've read; very mixed responses.

I would like to ask the wider community (that's why I posted in this sub-forum) which of those headsets would you choose based on the following:

1. Field of view: I remember way back when, I tried the oculus DK2 and it "wowed" me even more than the CV1 that I own. i believe this was because of the FOV that didn't feel like looking through toilet paper rolls.

2. Image Clarity: While I am OK with the CV1's clarity, I would expect sharper images from upgrading.

3. Product quality: I expect the headset to last until I decide to change computer and headset again (4-5) years.

4. Any other considerations I should take?

I hope I'm not asking for too much with this long post and thanks for any replies!

S!

I’ll let others more “in the know” respond more on this. Honestly, I’ve only owned the Oculus and Oculus Rift S so I cant give you an honest apples to apples comparison  esteem different manufacturers.. I can say I noticed an improvement in clarity with the Rift S and the inside out tracking has been flawless (at least for me). However I feel the tinny speakers in the headband don’t do the rest of the unit any justice.

You're right though. You’ll get all kinds of different inputs on this topic. It’s kinda like the old Ford versus Chevy arguments. They're each gonna have their own allegiances and each person values different aspects accordingly.

6 minutes ago, BornToBattle said:

I’ll let others more “in the know” respond more on this. Honestly, I’ve only owned the Oculus and Oculus Rift S so I cant give you an honest apples to apples comparison  esteem different manufacturers.. I can say I noticed an improvement in clarity with the Rift S and the inside out tracking has been flawless (at least for me). However I feel the tinny speakers in the headband don’t do the rest of the unit any justice.

You're right though. You’ll get all kinds of different inputs on this topic. It’s kinda like the old Ford versus Chevy arguments. They're each gonna have their own allegiances and each person values different aspects accordingly.

What about the FOV on the Rift S vs the CV1? 

do you notice any improvements there?  (mind sharing your IPD with me)

Did I actually notice the increase with the Rift S in so far as FOV? No. I did however notice a difference in the much reduced “screen door” effect though.

My IPD is very narrow by the way. 58 I believe it is. Which is why I have better than 20/20 vision I guess lol!

Hope this helps you a little.

To quote so you’ll have it all...

The field of view is 115º, compared to 110º on the Rift CV1.”

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Thanks 1