54th_Hashashin

VR and Check Six Overwrite button

Especially with VR now, I VERY MUCH  enjoy doing things the old school way - where I physically look is what I physically see. For me, it doesn’t get anymore realistic than that.

If I can’t see clearly my six by doing so because of the aircraft design and the fact God didn’t grant me a 180° swivel neck, well then the boys flying back then IRL couldn’t either. For me it’s a huge perk for flying in VR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

As above, getting a 1:1 head swivel experience is key with immersion in VR.

Forget about mods that give you more movement, I'd imagine all they will do is induce VR sickness as your eyes/ears go out of sync.

Yeah, but the boys didn't wear horse blinders back than either restricting their fields of view down to 110 degrees and less.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

You should be glad you can't turn around and look behind you like you can with TIR, that way you will need to turn your aircraft to get a good "Check Six" view, which means you are not flying in a straight line for too long if you are by yourself.  The rule was never fly in a straight line for more than X minutes..........  Don't be lazy........... turn the aircraft to unmask the blind spots.  You will probably live longer than you would have with TIR.

Cheers

Hoss

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

If I can’t see clearly my six by doing so because of the aircraft design and the fact God didn’t grant me a 180° swivel neck, well then the boys flying back then IRL couldn’t either. For me it’s a huge perk for flying in VR.

This is  sort of my view too but problem is this

18 minutes ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Yeah, but the boys didn't wear horse blinders back than either restricting their fields of view down to 110 degrees and less.

So getting it even more realistic is this

7 hours ago, -IRRE-Axurit said:

Hello
The mod 3d migoto makes it possible to turn the head virtually 20 ° more, and many other things useful for the VR

I use VR by choice, it got a lot of advantages. And some dis advantages. 
I personally give a shit in both categories. 
I do it for being inside a ww2 aircraft. 
I do not want more advantages than realism allows

21 minutes ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

PIMAX = 200 degree FOV

I just like to imagine I'm wearing goggles as I should be, though I know WW2 pilot goggles atleast in most cases probably restricted FOV less than some VR sets.

• Upvote 1

I personally love the realistic 1:1 tracking and would not have it any other way now.

More FOV as technology progresses I would like also.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

Plus in real planes you are wearing a tight harness.I have practiced checking 6 when flying the real Warbird, with the 5 point harness tightened it's harder than checking 6 in VR.

So the way we Chack 6 in VR  is pretty realistic, maybe less competitive, but who cares about stats anyway?

I care about immersion and the feel of being there.

Edited by SCG_motoadve
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

56 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Plus in real planes you are wearing a tight harness.I have practiced checking 6 when flying the real Warbird, with the 5 point harness tightened it's harder than checking 6 in VR.

So the way we Chack 6 in VR  is pretty realistic, maybe less competitive, but who cares about stats anyway?

I care about immersion and the feel of being there.

Exactly…..I agree. We don´t need any "check 6 VR Option". Make it as realistic as possible and for that I would just wish that the "screen players" would not be able to move their virtual head to the back position like they do with a mouse or so. We are no ostrich with such a moveable neck and as you stated wearing the 5 point harness it is NOT realistic anyway.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

Exactly…..I agree. We don´t need any "check 6 VR Option". Make it as realistic as possible and for that I would just wish that the "screen players" would not be able to move their virtual head to the back position like they do with a mouse or so. We are no ostrich with such a moveable neck and as you stated wearing the 5 point harness it is NOT realistic anyway.

The 5th attachment point in the harness is not in the head BTW.

Buy track IR or use a mouse if it is that important to you.

The great thing about VR is that is 1:1

Lets keep it that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I do it for being inside a ww2 aircraft. 

I do not want more advantages than realism allows

This was the idea I was trying to float.

2 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Exactly they could move their eyeballs! Crazy - but it was really possible even back in the day! ;)

With the field of view I currently have with the Rift S my personal opinion is that flying even with a smaller FOV is still more realistic than hitting a key command in order to override realism. Plus the fact that has been stated here, being tightly harnessed in with gear on greatly inhibits your mobility in a cockpit unlike sitting at a desk with your T-shirt on so you can kinda figure that into the equation of limited FOV.

If the devs decided for us poor saps who have to put up with a limited field of view using VR versus those using a 2D display build such a key command in, then so be it. I simply won’t have the box checked or use the designated key anyways as I play single player. It could however open up yet another can of worms for those flying VR in multiplayer,

Edited by BornToBattle

5 minutes ago, BornToBattle said:

This was the idea I was trying to float.

With the field of view I currently have with the Rift S my personal opinion is that flying even with a smaller FOV is still more realistic than hitting a key command in order to override realism. Plus the fact that has been stated here, being tightly harnessed in with gear on greatly inhibits your mobility in a cockpit unlike sitting at a desk with your T-shirt on so you can kinda figure that into the equation of limited FOV.

If the devs decided for us poor saps who have to put up with a limited field of view using VR versus those using a 2D display build such a key command in, then so be it. I simply won’t have the box checked or use the designated key anyways as I play single player. 

Are you sure, that they closed their harnesses? My experience is that soldiers ignore those regulations, that could get them killed in combat.

2 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

PIMAX = 200 degree FOV

Show us even one man who has the muscle rig to run this sim with that FOV, bet you can't.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dburne said:

I personally love the realistic 1:1 tracking and would not have it any other way now.

More FOV as technology progresses I would like also.

I’m all for this, as I guess all of us in VR are! In the dev interview it was also stated an increase in FOV with VR in general would add to the sim itself...along with the gloves and a clickable cockpit so you wouldn’t have to know any key commands, it would all be intuitive. Reach out and flick the switch. Someday perhaps. VR is still in its infancy. I hope though with sales the way they are it doesn’t go the same route 3D TV did. Even with its current shortcomings I could never go back to a 2D again, particularly with this sim. 1C has really spoiled me in this regard.

Edited by BornToBattle

1 minute ago, BornToBattle said:

I’m all for this, as I guess all of us in VR are! In the dev interview it was also stated an increase in FOV with VR in general would add to the sim itself...along with the gloves and a clickable cockpit so you wouldn’t have to know any key commands, it would all be intuitive. Reach out and flick the switch. Someday perhaps. VR is still in its infancy. I hope though with sales the way they are it doesn’t go the same route 3D TV did.

Based on everything I am reading I really do not see that happening.

Just the recent announcement of Half Life: Alyx which will be all VR is a very positive thing for VR. Some other very good recent releases as well.

23 minutes ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Show us even one man who has the muscle rig to run this sim with that FOV, bet you can't.

Not I! 

200° FOV? Holy crap that’s a crap load of information to display! Humans can only see 135° horizontal BTW.

15 minutes ago, dburne said:

Based on everything I am reading I really do not see that happening.

Just the recent announcement of Half Life: Alyx which will be all VR is a very positive thing for VR. Some other very good recent releases as well.

Amen to that brother, then. Yes, good news indeed.

I remember you were one of the ones that was goading me into going from the beautiful 4K 2D display and jumping into VR back when. And now every time a new Rift hits the market I’m always cussing at you when I hear the Velcro on my wallet being opened. It’s happened twice now damnit!

Edited by BornToBattle

Not I! 

200° FOV? Holy crap that’s a crap load of information to display! Humans can only see 135° horizontal BTW.

Amen to that brother, then. Yes, good news indeed.

I remember you were one of the ones that was goading me into going from the beautiful 4K 2D display and jumping into VR back when. And now every time a new Rift hits the market I’m always cussing at you when I hear the Velcro on my wallet being opened. It’s happened twice now damnit!

:clapping:

LOL.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

Make it as realistic as possible and for that I would just wish that the "screen players" would not be able to move their virtual head to the back position like they do with a mouse or so. We are no ostrich with such a moveable neck and as you stated wearing the 5 point harness it is NOT realistic anyway.

Please don’t advocate handicapping every other player down to the level of your VR headset. The reason you have trouble checking six is due to the mask effect and sweet spot of your HMD. Real pilots were able to look behind them, why did all fighter aircraft evolve to having blister canopies?

This was obviously easier in some cockpits but that can’t be simulated in a game nor can the physical effort. 

CCB75928-3FA6-4BF5-A0B6-45FC00EAABFA.jpeg

2 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Please don’t advocate handicapping every other player down to the level of your VR headset. The reason you have trouble checking six is due to the mask effect and sweet spot of your HMD. Real pilots were able to look behind them, why did all fighter aircraft evolve to having blister canopies?

This was obviously easier in some cockpits but that can’t be simulated in a game nor can the physical effort. 

CCB75928-3FA6-4BF5-A0B6-45FC00EAABFA.jpeg

I like how you used a modern jet fighter ergonomics to argue a wwii topic.

Human peripheral vision is about 220d. 

Just now, Count_de_Money said:

I like how you used a modern jet fighter ergonomics to argue a wwii topic.

Again this is obviously easier in a larger cockpit like a P-47 vs a 109 but that can’t be simulated. 

Ask why the P-47 canopy was changed to a blister style. Same as a modern fighter jet. For better visibility. Why does the 109 and the P-40 have those cutouts behind the hood?

Why is the Spitfire canopy bulged out and again has the transparent piece behind the hood?

I do like how DCS handles this vs IL-2 where you actually look over your shoulder. 

53 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Down to the level?

Interesting comment.

1 minute ago, dburne said:

Down to the level?

Interesting comment.

Yes. Down to the level of mobility & FOV. People are trying to pass off the restriction they experience in the HMDs as “realistic” which it isn’t. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Yes. Down to the level of mobility & FOV. People are trying to pass off the restriction they experience in the HMDs as “realistic” which it isn’t. 

It is realistic as all get out!

Puleasee do not try and say Track IR with the ability to spin head around like an owl is more realistic.  While you move your eyes across a monitor at a tiny airplane on the screen in front of you.

More importantly, why in the world do you continue to put down VR in VR threads when you have not interest in it at all currently.

I mean it is obvious you look down on us. Why bother?

Edited by dburne

1 hour ago, dburne said:

It is realistic as all get out!

You mean pilots in WWII wore scuba masks?

1 hour ago, dburne said:

More importantly, why in the world do you continue to put down VR in VR threads

Why do the VR players keep advocating to wreck the game for the rest of us?

They wanted reality, they got it. Now they're complaining that everyone else can move their head easier and want them handicapped. You’re surprised that somebody would object to that?

Edited by SharpeXB

5 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

You mean pilots in WWII wore scuba masks?

Why do the VR people keep advocating to wreck the game for the rest of us?

You wanted reality, you’ve got it. Now you’re complaining that everyone else can move their head easier and you want them handicapped. You’re surprised that somebody would object to that?

1: No they wore track-hats or track-clips with an ir camera on top.

;)

2: Now the crux comes out. No one is advocation such a thing for "the rest of us". VR players for the most part are a great group, as are most in this whole community , and yes while they love to see any improvements to VR they have no desire to "wreck the game" for anyone.

3: I don't have reality, but I do have Virtual Reality. And yes I got it, and love it. Immensely. Would not game without it.

And no, I am not complaining that everyone else can move their head unrealistically, nor have I ever complained. I just made a comparison.  That is no complaining. Do not project. Please do not put words in my mouth to try and validate your point. That is not cool.

And lastly no, I am not surprised by anything you post in a VR thread. I was just intrigued as to the why.

I think I understand better now, thank you.

14 minutes ago, dburne said:

And no, I am not complaining that everyone else can move their head unrealistically

Fair enough. That wasn’t your suggestion. 

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Now they're complaining that everyone else can move their head easier and want them handicapped. You’re surprised that somebody would object to that?

This was NOT the premise of the OP’s statement -  he DID NOT state that he wanted 2D players handicapped. In fact he stated he wanted VR people to have key inputs as 2D players do...

”VR and Check Six Overwrite Button...would be very nice if that can be done one way or another. Just a look back button for people wearing a VR.”

Your argument is beginning  to sound more and more like a VR vendetta of sorts, which is not what this topic was about. Besides, the OP has a right to his opinion just as you, I, and everyone else here does. The difference seems to be you're taking things that can easily be re-quoted here out of context.

4 minutes ago, BornToBattle said:

This was NOT the premise of the OP’s statement -  

I realize that. I was responding to someone else who suggested it. Looks like there’s a mod that already does what the OP wants.

29 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Still not sure why people don't just turn around!

Dont have VR (dont work with one eye) but a serious question - cant you just rotate/spin the chair for same effect?

10 minutes ago, 56RAF_Stickz said:

Dont have VR (dont work with one eye)

have you actually tried it? Works for me with 1,5 eyes, but a monocular friend of mine was blown away by the experience.

On 11/28/2019 at 4:53 PM, 54th_Hashashin said:

would be very nice if that can be done one way or another. Just a look back button for people wearing a VR

My eldest son has one - have tried it on his computer (mine probably would not run it well anyway).

As for the eye disease do not really want to go to it - its not that I have physically only one eye. It would get messy explaining. Even TiR on a monitor gives me problems once you rotate head so far

Edited by 56RAF_Stickz

55 minutes ago, 56RAF_Stickz said:

Dont have VR (dont work with one eye) but a serious question - cant you just rotate/spin the chair for same effect?

No

012CD48C-C985-48E9-AA48-B5D22A4D5B16.jpeg

But I have serious problems about this us/ them attitude around. 
True there are people advocating for focusing on VR improvements, but I do not think they mean to ruin it for all else. 
Most provoking thing I seen was a tread about VR server only , because TrackIr got advantages of owl neck. 
Now these kind of self centered opinions is not shared by VR users in general. 
We are not a group within a group. We are part of GB community. So polarizing it down to we are evil is bs. We simply prefer VR despite its disadvantages gamewise, I get a great deal of advantages in the deal

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1