Sign in to follow this  
YoYo

Is it any roadmap for Battle of Normandy?

As in the title :music:.

Maybe too early but if the pre purchase was started Id like to know a little more  ... ;> ?

11 hours ago, YoYo said:

Maybe too early... 

Yep. Too early. 

11 hours ago, YoYo said:

As in the title :music:.

Maybe too early but if the pre purchase was started Id like to know a little more  ... ;> ?

Too early, but from previous experience i can guess it will go like this;

In a 4-6 months we'll get first planes, earlier models of planes we already have (p51, 109G6, 190a6, spit.xiv....following with ju88),

Mossie, Arado and rest of them will come later and for Channel map we'll have to wait for more than a year.

BoN should take less time to develop than BoBp since map tech is already here from BoBp and many planes are earlier versions from BoBp planest.

• Upvote 1

P51 and P47 razorbacks will be more work than you realize. When the team made the Yak1b they said they tried to just modify the model from the yak1 ser69 we already had. They said it was more work than they bargained for and that they will likely build from scratch in the future. I imagine the changes to the props, fuselage, air intakes and canopies all add up to pretty much warrant a new model. 

I do hope they dont recycle the 109G6, Ju88 and 190A models as they are from generations of recycled lower poly models. If they build them from scratch with the new high polly count then the older 190 and 109 series birds could inherit the new models with minor changes. I am A-OK with the dev cycle taking a little longer for more current game models. Thats my wishful thinking though. 

The Normandy map has a large percentage of water compared to most other maps and probably contributes to their larger overall map size they are capable of. On first glance I wouldnt be surprised to see extremely similar map development times compared to BoBP. 

We also dont know if other projects will be in the works in parallel to BoN like Flying Circus and Tank Crew was. I do hope we get more flying circus, maybe even a channel map rendition built along side BoN set in the 1910's. That would be worth some longer dev time for a good payoff I think. They just have to announce another flying circus module.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

BoN should take less time to develop than BoBp since map tech is already here from BoBp and many planes are earlier versions from BoBp planest.

I think also, they have assets pack / ground units now too (plus small upgrade).

46 minutes ago, Field-Ops said:

I do hope we get more flying circus, maybe even a channel map rendition built along side BoN set in the 1910's. That would be worth some longer dev time for a good payoff I think. They just have to announce another flying circus module.

+1 :dance:.

Edited by YoYo

It gonna take time, pre buy give funding to improvements on what we already have. 
This is why I pre buy everything from the very beginning. 
My guess is we are going to have the 109 first then the Typhoon   Fw, razorback p 47 , 

the bombers last 

2 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

I would tend to agree, but you just know they're gonna up the ante on something else. I'm looking to summer/fall 2021 for the final release.

1 minute ago, Finkeren said:

I'm looking to summer/fall 2021 for the final release.

I think we should add a little year to that.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

1 minute ago, FlyingShark said:

I think we should add a little year to that.

Have a nice day.

So more than 2½ years? Nah, that's too much. 

1 minute ago, Finkeren said:

So more than 2½ years? Nah, that's too much. 

Ok, half a year than.

Don't forget that their will be 2 versions of the map and some new features like Air Marshal, drop tanks and stuff.

Those things take time too.

Have a nice day.

Edited by FlyingShark

1 hour ago, FlyingShark said:

drop tanks and stuff.

I hope for drop tanks will be different model 3D with new, separate texture, not on the same template where is the whole plane.

It will be difficult to recreate everything concerning skins.

4 hours ago, Field-Ops said:

P51 and P47 razorbacks will be more work than you realize. When the team made the Yak1b they said they tried to just modify the model from the yak1 ser69 we already had. They said it was more work than they bargained for and that they will likely build from scratch in the future. I imagine the changes to the props, fuselage, air intakes and canopies all add up to pretty much warrant a new model. 

I do hope they dont recycle the 109G6, Ju88 and 190A models as they are from generations of recycled lower poly models. If they build them from scratch with the new high polly count then the older 190 and 109 series birds could inherit the new models with minor changes. I am A-OK with the dev cycle taking a little longer for more current game models. Thats my wishful thinking though. 

The Normandy map has a large percentage of water compared to most other maps and probably contributes to their larger overall map size they are capable of. On first glance I wouldnt be surprised to see extremely similar map development times compared to BoBP. 

We also dont know if other projects will be in the works in parallel to BoN like Flying Circus and Tank Crew was. I do hope we get more flying circus, maybe even a channel map rendition built along side BoN set in the 1910's. That would be worth some longer dev time for a good payoff I think. They just have to announce another flying circus module.

It may be a while yet until we see any road map and agreed, I’m not sure of course on how the dev team and their third party compatriots will be divided up on working on the BoN but like you said other endeavors also play into the mix. I too hope they don’t simply recycle and up the polygon count in accordance to the high polys.

I’d really like to see FC given lots more love the way RoF had during its heyday. I’m afraid of it kinda getting lost and forgotten with all of the WW2 action. Flying those little wood and fabric crates in VR adds a whole other dimension to them as well, something I can’t do with RoF.

Edited by BornToBattle

2 hours ago, Finkeren said:

I'm looking to summer/fall 2021 for the final release.

I wouldn´t mind, but I don´t see them finishing all the stuff before x-mas 2021 earliest. With BoBP they had only to build one two-engined plane from scratch (B-25). With BoN they have the Ju88-C6, the Mossie, the Marauder, the 410 and besides the one engined planes and basically two totally different maps the new additional game related mechanics. That certainly takes significantly longer than BoBP took them.

2 hours ago, FlyingShark said:

Ok, half a year than.

Don't forget that their will be 2 versions of the map and some new features like Air Marshal, drop tanks and stuff.

Those things take time too.

Have a nice day.

Maps will overlap, so it's not making two maps from the ground, more just upgrading first map.

Air Marshall is in development for quite a while now too, maybe drop tanks and new fuel system too.

2 years aprox when they start to work on BoN, taking in mind they still work on BoBp, some other features and collector planes it could go to Q1/Q2 2022

"Normandy product is our usual product super-sized in some ways and needs a larger budget and possibly time to build"

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

I wouldn´t mind, but I don´t see them finishing all the stuff before x-mas 2021 earliest. With BoBP they had only to build one two-engined plane from scratch (B-25). With BoN they have the Ju88-C6, the Mossie, the Marauder, the 410 and besides the one engined planes and basically two totally different maps the new additional game related mechanics. That certainly takes significantly longer than BoBP took them.

You`re probably right on the more work thing.  I was hoping that maybe making Mossie/410 would be more like modeling the Me110 when Jason Williams proved me wrong.

But I don`t think the flotilla/fleet will be modeled anywhere near realistic, don`t see the point in doing so.

Edited by Mac_Messer

I think they choose BON for 3 reasons. 

1. Too many people oppose another east front pack. And this would make a west front expansion more popular. 

2. They figure it can be done with less budget than other popular theatre's of war. 

3. They can deliver it relative fast

It will also probably expand customer group. 
If they continue to improve and stay on as a stable provider of aerial combat experience 

We will grow

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte

I'm gonna put my +1 neon-lit Speculation hat on right now for what comes after this. This is all just me typically overthinking things and you should take it with a grain of salt.

There were  several viable pitches put to the decision makers for new theatres, probably all pretty fleshed out, and it was not immediately clear which direction it was going to go. Korea, Normandy, the Pacific and a mid to late war Eastern Front pack were probably on the table. I believe the longer delay on announcing the theatre means that it was a tough decision and they weren't sure where they were going to go next. I don't think anything was dismissed out of hand. 

BoN does tell us that BoBP was at least enough of a success to warrant further expansion into the Western front. Either it did well in sales overall or made significant inroads into new markets. I believe  it did both - the decision to adopt a bigger product with more resources required as a follow up to BoBP indicates some confidence in the decision to go westwards, and good enough return on investment to warrant what may be a longer development cycle. I think if BoBP had underperformed we would be seeing a pivot back to the East for a slightly less ambitious project, or into an entirely new direction.

Battle of Normandy is ambitious, but iterative. As a theatre, it remains firmly within the current design philosophy of the sim: tactical-based WWII air combat, flown in support of ground operations, primarily over land, with historical planesets. It builds upon work done with BoBP (in terms of western front ground assets, jet development, and mapping techniques). It is highly integratable with BoBP which indicates a desire to leverage the work done so far. However, the Channel provides an opportunity to dip further into naval assets and assess difficulties and pitfalls, and the Arado gives them an opportunity to further develop jet technology. Both of these aspects could be possible gateways to future titles: Battle of Pacific  for naval assets and Battle of Korea for jet tech. BoN is going to be a lot of work but on the whole there are fewer unknowns and risks with this theatre than there would be with a Battle of Korea or a Pacific installment.

When you look at the trajectory of the sim, Battle of Normandy represents a consolidation of gains made and a pretty typical mix of ambition and caution, operating within the realm of the doable and committing to improving the whole 'ecosystem' of the sim while pushing the boundaries of what they can offer where they can. 

All that being said, I doubt there is much of a public consumption level roadmap at all at this point. They are still working on the collector planes at the moment and they still have work to finish up in BoBP with the map, career, etc. I think we will see a slightly delayed flow of new content from BoN Early Access as compared to earlier titles due to these extra commitments and the later announcement. Significant work will probably not really start until after the next patch, which I think is the last specifically BoBP focused patch we will see. Everything after that will be general improvements or work oriented towards laying the groundwork for BoN. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mac_Messer said:

But I don`t think the flotilla/fleet will be modeled anywhere near realistic, don`t see the point in doing so.

I have high hopes that they will attempt to incorporate technologies into their engine to allow a large flotilla size. They always try to innovate in particular areas and this will likely be one of them since they already made the decision to go there. Its likely already been talked about. 

• Like 1

I saw Toady’s DD... no any road map for BoN still? 😱

3 minutes ago, YoYo said:

I doubt we will ever see one.

11 hours ago, sevenless said:

I doubt we will ever see one.

As I remember we had road map for titles before - months with additional planes, map ect. and it worked.

Pre order is open from 1,5 month and we know nothing about plans. ;>

Edited by YoYo

2 minutes ago, YoYo said:

As I remember we had road map for titles before - months with additional planes, map ect. and it worked.

Pre order is open from 1,5 month and we dont know nothing about plans. ;>

Maybe my memory fails me here, but I don´t remember seeing such a roadmap for BoK and BoBP? I guess they won´t release any to remain flexible in development to unforeseen blockers. I personally have no problem with that. They already hinted to this title (BoN) taking significantly longer to finish, so I won´t hold my breath for a gold-release date before x-mas 2021.

• Upvote 1

There has been one roadmap in the past (I can't speak for BOS, as this was before I knew this game), I think it was BOK, but I am not sure about that. It was not only announced which aircrafts in which order, but also when map and career mode IIRC (so it should be BOK) would be included. From what I remeber, they were pretty in time with the roadmap.

Really looking forward to hunting buzz bombs 😄

4 hours ago, YoYo said:

Why does it really matter?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, YoYo said:

You shouldn't expect one. If there is, it will be a bonus.

8 hours ago, sevenless said:

Maybe my memory fails me here, but I don´t remember seeing such a roadmap for BoK and BoBP? I guess they won´t release any to remain flexible in development to unforeseen blockers. I personally have no problem with that. They already hinted to this title (BoN) taking significantly longer to finish, so I won´t hold my breath for a gold-release date before x-mas 2021.

Both Battle if Kuban and Battle of Bodenplatte had informal roadmaps. The first was communicated via Jason during a TeamSpeak based Q&A that he did with the community. The Bodenplatte roadmap was communicated via a couple of posts here on the forum.

The bigger problem with roadmaps for the developers is that priorities can shift and change over a two year developer cycle. The Me262 was originally slated to be launched last but instead was kind of in the middle as priorities and various challenges with different aircraft came up. At least a few people were proclaiming the end of the world because of it. I use a bit of hyperbole by saying that but I don't think I'm too far off.

That said, I love having a bit of a roadmap myself and I've tried to maintain one for each of the IL-2 series as information came along. I will create one for Battle of Normandy

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, YoYo said:

Pre order is open from 1,5 month and we dont know nothing about plans. ;>

dou·ble neg·a·tive
/ˈdəbəl ˈneɡədiv/
noun
GRAMMAR

1. a negative statement containing two negative elements (for example he didn't say nothing ).
    • a positive statement in which two negative elements are used to produce the positive force, usually for some particular rhetorical effect, for example there is not nothing to worry about!.

4 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

dou·ble neg·a·tive
/ˈdəbəl ˈneɡədiv/
noun
GRAMMAR

1. a negative statement containing two negative elements (for example he didn't say nothing ).
    • a positive statement in which two negative elements are used to produce the positive force, usually for some particular rhetorical effect, for example there is not nothing to worry about!.

So if we don't know nothing, we know something.

6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

negative ...

And .... ? 

Post was edited. English isnt my native laguage :P.

I remeber, it was something like this https://il2sturmovik.com/about/ but with dates.

Edited by YoYo

24 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Never happened. Not from any official source.

Example from BoM Announcements (Battle of Moscow Pre-Order Program):

July - I-16 Type 24
August - MC.202 Series VIII
September - P-40 E -1
October - Bf 109 E-7
November - Bf 110 E-2

but I cant find source now, perhaps when the title was released Devs deleted this info from webpage.

Edited by YoYo

7 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

dou·ble neg·a·tive
/ˈdəbəl ˈneɡədiv/
noun
GRAMMAR

Double negatives are a no no 😊

Talisman

I can't say I really care about getting a "road map" to be honest, and I don't think the devs are obligated to give us one. In fact, I'd almost rather they didn't. While it might serve to keep a vocal minority happy, it also puts extra pressure on the devs to stick to a set plan. That can end up meaning things get rushed and I for one find buggy, unfinished releases far more irritating than not knowing exactly what is being done and when. The other option is to delay a release which will just generate outrage from another vocal minority.

We all know what's coming and this is not a Steam Early Access title from an unknown indy developer. (Ie, it's not going to get abandoned.) So, why not just let them get on with it, make it as good as it can be, and enjoy it when it's finished? We have plenty of content already to keep us going until then.

16 minutes ago, Dogbert1953 said:

Knock $20 off the pre-sale and i will buy it, but $10 is not enough of an incentive.

In that case you'll have to get it full price after release or wait another year from release to start seeing discounts.

1 hour ago, Dogbert1953 said:

Knock $20 off the pre-sale and i will buy it, but $10 is not enough of an incentive.

This is out of the question conserning the company's need of funding. 
I pre orded this pack because I cant wait for final release. I need the tiffy, ME 410 , Mossie right  away. 
Your perspective is lacking the understanding that they have a business to run. And it also miss the fact that this software compared to all other software in same category With this level of quality is cheap

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 3