Jump to content
spudkopf

Faux Hakenkreuz

Opinions regarding the faux Hakenkreuz  

154 members have voted

  1. 1. Wanting to gauge the communities opinion in regards to the faux Hakenkreuz

    • I like the faux Hakenreuz
      56
    • I would prefer that there was no insignia at all on the tails or rudders of Luftwaffe aircraft
      49
    • I do not care either way
      49


Recommended Posts

G’day

 

In light of the fact that the images used for the new product banners on the stores home page do not sport the faux Hakenkreuz, I was wanting to gauge the communities overall opinion in regards to the use of the faux Hakenkreuz on the tails and rudders of Luftwaffe aircraft within the sim, over my preferred option of having no insignia at all as the default.

 

I understand that the removal of the these faux elements would require resources that are already in scare supply, but with that said I think it would be a relatively minor task to realise, if the weight of opinion was in support of such a notion.

 

Of course then there’s always the issue of what to do in regards to the aircraft of the Fin’s, which apart from using FiAF late/post war roundels I have no solution.  

 

Lastly as the use of the actual Hakenkreuz is simply out of the question please do not even go there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is "forbidden" public in some countries, nothing more. It is complicated, because the symbol, was struck by a few idiots ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, namhee2 said:

It is "forbidden" public in some countries, nothing more. It is complicated, because the symbol, was struck by a few idiots ...

 

I think you may have misunderstood, I'm not not asking for the Hakenkreuz (Swastika) as it is well understood that this is not an option, what I'm asking is to have the fake version removed and instead have plain unadorned tails and rudders on Luftwaffe skins, like that of the banners below:

 

bom_available_en.13488339609c.thumb.jpg.1fcd4bde34e2d715a4b1c754ebce2295.jpg

 

bok_available_en.4383b2940a51.thumb.jpg.f9044c30beb8791d405fff63a7cc5213.jpg

 

 

Edited by spudkopf
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, I think it would look better without the funny symbol on tails, just leave the aircraft without any tail insignia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The faux Hakenreuz is better because it’s easier to draw a historical version from it. ;) The pictures are beautiful. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the faux Hakenkreuz is a fair compromise as a completely blank tail would look more out of place in my opinion. It definitely stands out more on Finnish aircraft but I don't think there is a better variation of the symbol that could be used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FoxbatRU said:

The faux Hakenreuz is better because it’s easier to draw a historical version from it. ;) The pictures are beautiful. :)

 

Having altered a lot of historical 4K skins, Id have to disagree, as many of the faux versions are not symmetrical and require quite a bit of effort to convincingly remove and replace so I'd personally I would prefer to start from a blank canvas, however I'd have to agree that the faux versions do offer a guide to the size, shape and style for what needs to replace them.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the original IL-2 (before I found the config file setting) I always thought the tail looked really empty without anything... however I also disliked the war thunder solution of having a balkenkreuz there. When I saw BoX solution I really liked it... because the overall shape is rather close and fills the gap, so while the original still remains a no go, the Great Battles solution is a good compromise imho, I prefer it over having nothing or other type of crosses.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would just like an historical markings enabler executable. That way players who want them can have them, those that don't, don't need to download it....... and as a caveat, maybe only available for offline use only. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

Would just like an historical markings enabler executable. That way players who want them can have them, those that don't, don't need to download it....... and as a caveat, maybe only available for offline use only. 

there's mods for that ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

Would just like an historical markings enabler executable. That way players who want them can have them, those that don't, don't need to download it....... and as a caveat, maybe only available for offline use only. 

 

That's not necessary. Skin packs with historical markings can already replace default skins with mods enabled.

 

As the markings are baked in with the entire aircraft texture, having a separate executable for different textures would be impractical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

 

That's not necessary. Skin packs with historical markings can already replace default skins with mods enabled.

 

As the markings are baked in with the entire aircraft texture, having a separate executable for different textures would be impractical.

Mods don’t need to be enabled for custom skins to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Legioneod said:

Mods don’t need to be enabled for custom skins to work.

 

I know that you can add custom skins, but can you replace all default skins without mods enabled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

 

I know that you can add custom skins, but can you replace all default skins without mods enabled?


No, you need to enable mods to use mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

 

I know that you can add custom skins, but can you replace all default skins without mods enabled?

Ah sorry. Didn’t realize you meant official skins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so long as there isn't a Hakenkreuz... I'm happy. I'm still trying to uninstall the mod that adds them to default skins... they actually bother me a bit - not that I'd judge someone for wanting a perfectly historical skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm Navajo on my mothers side.  I grew up with this sacred symbol meaning something very different.  Too bad it got hijacked. Don't know why they didn't just stick with the cross and death head.  As for the subject at hand, I prefer the clean look to whatever that pretend box logo is supposed to be.  Do or do not as Yoda would say.  But it's not really a big issue either way I reckon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, skarecrow said:

I'm Navajo on my mothers side.  I grew up with this sacred symbol meaning something very different.  Too bad it got hijacked. Don't know why they didn't just stick with the cross and death head.  As for the subject at hand, I prefer the clean look to whatever that pretend box logo is supposed to be.  Do or do not as Yoda would say.  But it's not really a big issue either way I reckon.

The 45th ID used to have it as their emblem, but it was changed when the Nazis came to power. Honestly the symbol has far too negative a meaning nowadays to be brought back to traditional use, which is somewhat unfortunate.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer to Keep it like it is now………….the way it is looks OK and is not a big deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would personally probably just prefer normal crosses like War Thunder does with Finnish markings, as they still make sense as actual symbols and are thus less obvious as a replacement for swastikas. The current ones are still fine, though, and I don't really see any real reason to change them or to get rid of them.

 

 yDsWypN.png

 

15 hours ago, Legioneod said:

The 45th ID used to have it as their emblem, but it was changed when the Nazis came to power. Honestly the symbol has far too negative a meaning nowadays to be brought back to traditional use, which is somewhat unfortunate.

 

In Finland we just simply don't care 

Spoiler

tvHKmln.png

4s1C6Wn.png

cjhATwS.png

 

Edited by Rothary
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stand-in we have now looks patently absurd - like a mustard stain on a clean white dress shirt.

 

A blank space is a much more eloquent solution.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks to me like I've got a Brexit kind of result brewing, as the "I don't cares" seem to have about a 3rd of the results as do both to the leave (blank) and stay (Faux Harkenkreuz), although unlike in the UK in this case the stay vote has the nominal lead albeit by a somewhat small margin.  

 

Looks like I may have to run a second referendum :P

 

 

On 11/28/2019 at 12:13 PM, Avimimus said:

Just so long as there isn't a Hakenkreuz... I'm happy. I'm still trying to uninstall the mod that adds them to default skins... they actually bother me a bit - not that I'd judge someone for wanting a perfectly historical skin.

 

Should be a simple as deleting the skins from the associated skin/texture directories, for example in the case of the Bf109G14:

 

From \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\Planes\bf109G14\Textures\ delete:

bf109G14.dds

 

From \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\skins\bf109G14\ delete:

bf109G14_skin_01.dds
bf109G14_skin_02.dds
bf109G14_skin_03.dds
bf109G14_skin_05.dds
bf109G14_skin_06.dds
bf109G14_skin_07.dds
bf109G14_skin_09.dds
bf109G14_skin_10.dds

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spudkopf said:

Looks to me like I've got a Brexit kind of result brewing, as the "I don't cares" seem to have about a 3rd of the results as do both to the leave (blank) and stay (Faux Harkenkreuz), although unlike in the UK in this case the stay vote has the nominal lead albeit by a somewhat small margin.  

 

Looks like I may have to run a second referendum :P

 

 

 

Should be a simple as deleting the skins from the associated skin/texture directories, for example in the case of the Bf109G14:

 

From \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\Planes\bf109G14\Textures\ delete:

bf109G14.dds

 

From \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\skins\bf109G14\ delete:

bf109G14_skin_01.dds
bf109G14_skin_02.dds
bf109G14_skin_03.dds
bf109G14_skin_05.dds
bf109G14_skin_06.dds
bf109G14_skin_07.dds
bf109G14_skin_09.dds
bf109G14_skin_10.dds

 

 

Thank you sir! This really does increase my enjoyment. It didn't bother me when I was younger, but the more I've learned and thought, the more this symbol takes me out of simply enjoying the experience! So your help really is appreciated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in the group for nothing at all. Keep it blank. Gives skinners a clean slate to work with in order to mark them as historically correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...