[Pb]Cybermat47

How to use the Su-122?

So, the Su-122’s gun is very effective against German armour when you manage to hit them, but the low muzzle velocity and the lack of information on the gunsight makes hitting them hard. On top of this, it has the same armour as the T-34/76 UTZ, which has an easier time of hitting targets and a faster reload. 

Is the 122 only effective against Panzers if you take advantage of the low profile and heavy armament to set up close-range one-shot ambushes? Or is it futile to use it against Panzers at all? Should it just be used to shell enemy positions with HE from a distance?

As the tank is an assault tank/infantery support and as you say: low velocity gun: Its not meant for hunting tanks but taking out bunkers, anti tank guns, infantery and soft targets, for that role its way better than a T-34 and this is the reason why you also have different sight system and very little viewports inside.
If you want to hunt tanks: Avoid long range engagement and moving targets, try to get in close, preferably city fighting, this is a close to max: medium range role and its sight system isnt very good so its meant to be used at shorter ranges.

But someone who aces this tank Im sure will be able to land long range hits on enemy tanks but it wont be super effective in that role.

• Upvote 1

I'm having trouble firing the main gun...it doesn't seem to respond to the same keystroke command as the other available tanks cannons do.Have i just missed something here?👀

1. Start a mission with SU-122

2. Unpause the game by "P" key

3. Switch to gunner by "LeftCtrl+C" keys (once). Gunner seats left to the gun.

4. Turn on the gun control by "T" key

5. Switch to gunsight view by "LeftShift+T" keys

6. Aim your gun somewhere by mouse move. Shoot by left mouse button.

7. You can adjust the distance setting by RightAlt+Period and RightAlt+Semicolon keys.

Haven't tried it online yet, but from what I can gather from the first few tries in QMB, using the Su-122 as a regular tank will just be an exercise in frustration. Because of the low muzzle velocity and high trajectory, you have to get your range estimate down to a tee or your shots will miss every single time, and the reload time simply doesn't allow for a second attempt. Once the HEAT connects it will generally hit the upper armor and thus be a one-shot-one-kill weapon against anything that moves. It is landing the shot that's the issue.

I think the best use of the Su-122 is as an ambusher targeting a pre-sighted choke point like a bridge or a street corner, where you can count of your first shot landing. Also maybe to area bombard spawn- or rallying points. You could potentially lay down some seriously annoying barrages from afar, if you could get to a good elevated vantage point, but how deadly it would be, I don't know.

However, the Su-122 is making me thirsty for an Su-85 (unfortunately the Kursk timeline doesn't quite allow for it)

The low profile is great, and that part of the roof that lifts up to allow the commander a full 360 view is to die for - sorta like the raised commander's position on a Panther, where he's peeking out from underneath the raised hatch.

Su-85 would be the perfect ambush predator.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Like 2

SU-122 is self propelled howitzer, should avoid fighting with tanks. He should fire on enemy base or airport from a hidden place.

5 minutes ago, saldy said:

SU-122 is self propelled howitzer, should avoid fighting with tanks. He should fire on enemy base or airport from a hidden place.

Yep, it is not a tank hunter, but a self propelled artillery gun. If you get attacked by an enemy tank, try your best to defend yourself, but you should better try to avoid it. I would have implemented one of the light tanks instead. In my eyes this would have made more sense, especially as oponent for the Panzer III.

As Finkeren mentioned, the SU-85, however, would be a quite deadly weapon, when used correctly. Unfortunately, not the right timeline.

• Upvote 1

All true....but I have been able to destroy many tanks....Once you get the range dialed in its easy to hit, the large shell just takes stuff apart. The big problem is the reload time....And if you miss in a critical moment. you wont get a second chance.

The maneuverability however might get you out of a jam....

It is easy to get overwhelmed by multiple enemies.....

Better an assault weapon or an ambush predator with an egress..... 

I've found out what it's for :biggrin:

20191202230037_1.thumb.jpg.86ebbf2012a27694498fb325a222e39d.jpg

Managed to do this to a Tiger after a single HEAT round to the front of the turret.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

I've found out what it's for :biggrin:

20191202230037_1.thumb.jpg.86ebbf2012a27694498fb325a222e39d.jpg

Managed to do this to a Tiger after a single HEAT round to the front of the turret.

Is it mod or something? because destroyed(burning or burned out) tanks in my game are always black and the penetration hits are not so nice.

Also damaged tracks are always missing, not lying on the ground like in your screenshot.