Sign in to follow this  
fjacobsen

Ju-88 Dive bomb procedure

I have found this.

image.png.31a3642511d791fcd9a1a34241f00d59.png

Not sure if all the mentioned items are opretaed automatic in IL-2 Sturmovik BOXX :

image.thumb.png.0a1ef80688277f138cbb251e07dea134.png

• Thanks 2

well I hope Air Combat Tutorial will make a video on this new thing. Will probably start a JU-87 or 88 career because of this!

Tried about a dozen dive bombing runs in 88 and 87 with the new aids. It's awesome! And quite dramatic!

In a steep dive (70+ deg) the 88 picks up speed quickly even with the dive brakes on, the steering wheel is shaking, the wind is ripping and just as I wonder if it's going to break apart for real this time, the horn rings and I press the bomb release button and glance the speedometer needle at 700 before my vision gray-outs during the automatic pull-out sequence.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OpticFlow said:

Tried about a dozen dive bombing runs in 88 and 87 with the new aids. It's awesome! And quite dramatic!

In a steep dive (70+ deg) the 88 picks up speed quickly even with the dive brakes on, the steering wheel is shaking, the wind is ripping and just as I wonder if it's going to break apart for real this time, the horn rings and I press the bomb release button and glance the speedometer needle at 700 before my vision gray-outs during the automatic pull-out sequence.

Gee - try throttling right back! I get a much more sedate ride starting at 2,500 m and setting the alarm for 1200 m.

Hard to get the bombs on target, though.

Well that’s why there’s the auto dive recovery,, pilots would black out... and I’d rather be going up then down when I wake up :) 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sybreed said:

well I hope Air Combat Tutorial will make a video on this new thing. Will probably start a JU-87 or 88 career because of this!

Working on it 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, OpticFlow said:

Ju-88 crews adopted a shallower dive in order to preserve the airframe.

Normal dive angle i the Ju-88 became around 60°.

I still wonder if all those "automatic" actions in the second illustration was something that happened on the real Ju-88.

In IL-2 Sturmivok BOXX I don´t see those items being executed with Lctr+D and Bomb release button.

Here is a good description of the procedure:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4298&p=43438&viewfull=1#post43438

2 hours ago, fjacobsen said:

I still wonder if all those "automatic" actions in the second illustration was something that happened on the real Ju-88.

Yes, yes they were. Nothing's been implemented that's some sort of gamey crutch.

image.thumb.png.88a5d6db258200262f48346ed231c42a.png

In game you can dive either with and without dive brakes. If you dive without dive brakes, you can engage dive system by press LCtrl+D (same key for recover).

By the time of Kuban the Ju88s had given up dive-bombing and gone over to shallow diving attacks. They had pretty much removed the dive brakes as well. I would love this to be a loadout option if possible. Doesn't mean that I don't think that the new dive-bombing systems aren't a great addition though - they are!

6 hours ago, No.322_Red_Cat said:

By the time of Kuban the Ju88s had given up dive-bombing and gone over to shallow diving attacks. They had pretty much removed the dive brakes as well. I would love this to be a loadout option if possible. Doesn't mean that I don't think that the new dive-bombing systems aren't a great addition though - they are!

We'd need the Sturzflugvisier (Stuvi) to be able to hit anything in a shallow dive angle unless we release from very low altitude.

10 hours ago, fjacobsen said:

Ju-88 crews adopted a shallower dive in order to preserve the airframe.

Normal dive angle i the Ju-88 became around 60°.

In IL-2 Sturmivok BOXX I don´t see those items being executed with Lctr+D and Bomb release button.

Here is a good description of the procedure:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4298&p=43438&viewfull=1#post43438

I know, there are even markers for the dive angle on the left window in the cockpit (60 white, 50 red, 70 yellow).