Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fjacobsen

Ju-88 Dive bomb procedure

Recommended Posts

I have found this.

image.png.31a3642511d791fcd9a1a34241f00d59.png

 

Not sure if all the mentioned items are opretaed automatic in IL-2 Sturmovik BOXX :

 

image.thumb.png.0a1ef80688277f138cbb251e07dea134.png

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well I hope Air Combat Tutorial will make a video on this new thing. Will probably start a JU-87 or 88 career because of this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried about a dozen dive bombing runs in 88 and 87 with the new aids. It's awesome! And quite dramatic!

 

In a steep dive (70+ deg) the 88 picks up speed quickly even with the dive brakes on, the steering wheel is shaking, the wind is ripping and just as I wonder if it's going to break apart for real this time, the horn rings and I press the bomb release button and glance the speedometer needle at 700 before my vision gray-outs during the automatic pull-out sequence.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OpticFlow said:

Tried about a dozen dive bombing runs in 88 and 87 with the new aids. It's awesome! And quite dramatic!

 

In a steep dive (70+ deg) the 88 picks up speed quickly even with the dive brakes on, the steering wheel is shaking, the wind is ripping and just as I wonder if it's going to break apart for real this time, the horn rings and I press the bomb release button and glance the speedometer needle at 700 before my vision gray-outs during the automatic pull-out sequence.

 

Gee - try throttling right back! I get a much more sedate ride starting at 2,500 m and setting the alarm for 1200 m.

 

Hard to get the bombs on target, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that’s why there’s the auto dive recovery,, pilots would black out... and I’d rather be going up then down when I wake up :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sybreed said:

well I hope Air Combat Tutorial will make a video on this new thing. Will probably start a JU-87 or 88 career because of this!

Working on it 😉

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, OpticFlow said:

Tried about a dozen dive bombing runs in 88 and 87 with the new aids. It's awesome! And quite dramatic!

 

In a steep dive (70+ deg) the 88 picks up speed quickly even with the dive brakes on, the steering wheel is shaking, the wind is ripping and just as I wonder if it's going to break apart for real this time, the horn rings and I press the bomb release button and glance the speedometer needle at 700 before my vision gray-outs during the automatic pull-out sequence.

 

Ju-88 crews adopted a shallower dive in order to preserve the airframe.

Normal dive angle i the Ju-88 became around 60°.

 

I still wonder if all those "automatic" actions in the second illustration was something that happened on the real Ju-88.

In IL-2 Sturmivok BOXX I don´t see those items being executed with Lctr+D and Bomb release button.

Here is a good description of the procedure:

 

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4298&p=43438&viewfull=1#post43438

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fjacobsen said:

I still wonder if all those "automatic" actions in the second illustration was something that happened on the real Ju-88.

 

Yes, yes they were. Nothing's been implemented that's some sort of gamey crutch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.88a5d6db258200262f48346ed231c42a.png

In game you can dive either with and without dive brakes. If you dive without dive brakes, you can engage dive system by press LCtrl+D (same key for recover).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the time of Kuban the Ju88s had given up dive-bombing and gone over to shallow diving attacks. They had pretty much removed the dive brakes as well. I would love this to be a loadout option if possible. Doesn't mean that I don't think that the new dive-bombing systems aren't a great addition though - they are!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, No.322_Red_Cat said:

By the time of Kuban the Ju88s had given up dive-bombing and gone over to shallow diving attacks. They had pretty much removed the dive brakes as well. I would love this to be a loadout option if possible. Doesn't mean that I don't think that the new dive-bombing systems aren't a great addition though - they are!

 

We'd need the Sturzflugvisier (Stuvi) to be able to hit anything in a shallow dive angle unless we release from very low altitude.

 

10 hours ago, fjacobsen said:

 

 

Ju-88 crews adopted a shallower dive in order to preserve the airframe.

Normal dive angle i the Ju-88 became around 60°.

 

I still wonder if all those "automatic" actions in the second illustration was something that happened on the real Ju-88.

In IL-2 Sturmivok BOXX I don´t see those items being executed with Lctr+D and Bomb release button.

Here is a good description of the procedure:

 

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4298&p=43438&viewfull=1#post43438

 

 

I know, there are even markers for the dive angle on the left window in the cockpit (60 white, 50 red, 70 yellow).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...