Avimimus

So... Me-410 variants? I'm curious.

They made it quite clear that we aren't getting night-fighting equipment for the Ju-88 (yet anyway) through including the 'C-6a'... however, no variant information was given for the Me-410... this makes me think that they haven't settled on it.

Regardless of what we get... I'm kindof curious to discuss the options...

I like the idea of a more lightly armed recon variant (rather than a destroyer variant with a camera pallet)... so the A-1 is attractive. The B-1 would give better performance and a few more options. But the B-2 would give the possibility of the Mk-103... and then there are the variants with 50mm cannons... I'm not sure how many were operational though.

The various factory conversion kits and field conversion kits make it pretty confusing at times. So, what variants do you think are realistic possibilities (either for the main release or as a collectors plane)?

Hoping for the U4 variant with the BK-5 sticking out front. 50mm big badda boom

Me_410_Hornisse_with_BK_5.jpg

Edited by pfrances

I’ll be happy with any variant. I wonder what the rear guns will be like.  The gunsight is pretty cool too irc, doesn’t it hang from above?

I never thought we would get a 410, I think it still hasn’t hit me yet that we are. I wonder how it will stack up against the 110s, my favorite ride in game.

Edited by Hajo_Garlic
  • Upvote 2

What's the chance of a B model? Or the difference for that matter?

From brief looking into it, 50mm seems possible and by far the most interesting, lots of variations with additional 20mm,  and the wfrgr21 x4 (x6?).

Anyone know if Mk103 armed variants were anything more than experiments?

Interesting cockpit layout, if this photo is a 410 (it may be a Me 210, I'm not entirely sure).

Me-210-or-410-cockpit.png

The Me 410 presumably it had to be laid out like this to give any sort of useful view through the glazed nose.

14 minutes ago, =RvE=Windmills said:

What's the chance of a B model? Or the difference for that matter?

From brief looking into it, 50mm seems possible and by far the most interesting, lots of variations with additional 20mm,  and the wfrgr21 x4 (x6?).

Anyone know if Mk103 armed variants were anything more than experiments?

The Mk 103 armed variant was used operationally, albeit in limited numbers, by I./ZG 76

I am sooooooooooooooooo excited for this machine to be added!

As for variants, I would definitely want to see...

A-1/U4 with the 50mm. (RIP Peshkas)

B-2/U1 with twin MK 108 30mm

A-1/U2 with two additional MG 151

Of course I want a bomb payload, but I cant seem to find and pictures or references to how and where the bombs were configured. I know it could haul 1000kg of payload, but could it fit 2x 500kg eggs in that small nose bomb bay? Or was it 4x 250kg? Were there under wing bomb shackles ever mounted? It seems that most of what I can find about the payload is more focused on its role as a bomber destroyer with different gun configurations, and everything about it's own bomb payload is rather ambiguous. Can anyone shine some light on how this beast actually hauled its bombs?

19 minutes ago, =BAIT=CG_Justin said:

I am sooooooooooooooooo excited for this machine to be added!

As for variants, I would definitely want to see...

A-1/U4 with the 50mm. (RIP Peshkas)

B-2/U1 with twin MK 108 30mm

A-1/U2 with two additional MG 151

Of course I want a bomb payload, but I cant seem to find and pictures or references to how and where the bombs were configured. I know it could haul 1000kg of payload, but could it fit 2x 500kg eggs in that small nose bomb bay? Or was it 4x 250kg? Were there under wing bomb shackles ever mounted? It seems that most of what I can find about the payload is more focused on its role as a bomber destroyer with different gun configurations, and everything about it's own bomb payload is rather ambiguous. Can anyone shine some light on how this beast actually hauled its bombs?

It used to carry 2x500kg in the front bay, at least in 1946 iirc. I don't  think there's room for 4x anything. I don't recall any under wing shackles either. 

20 minutes ago, =BAIT=CG_Justin said:

( …)everything about it's own bomb payload is rather ambiguous. Can anyone shine some light on how this beast actually hauled its bombs?

Three examples of bomb payload : 8 x SC 50, 2 x SC 500 and 1 x SC 1000.

Sc50.thumb.jpg.ab7244e0c3437379f991d6920f861101.jpg

Sc500.thumb.jpg.c2474fae48b9724427c215bc002aaf1e.jpg

Sc1000.thumb.jpg.b2a60c1bacf081550ed004551dfee9f7.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

V/KG 2 started off with the A1 version in (late) summer 1943. Night missions, bombing stuff and shoot down an allied bomber if they got the chance.

Even carried out a number of daylight missions.

V/KG 2 became II/KG 51 in March '44. It recommenced intruder operations (I/KG 51 carrying out bombing missions).

On 11/26/2019 at 1:16 PM, AndyJWest said:

Interesting cockpit layout, if this photo is a 410 (it may be a Me 210, I'm not entirely sure).

Me-210-or-410-cockpit.png

The Me 410 presumably it had to be laid out like this to give any sort of useful view through the glazed nose.

There is some indication of what the 210/410 cockpit looks like in the old original modded I’ll-2, but although it has been improved by the good models of SAS and others its still just a so-so version of reality...so I really look forward to what the guys here come up with.

Not mentioned but still worth contemplating in the gunner position & how the remote barbettes (Sp?) will be handled not just graphically but in aiming air to air. I’m sure back in the day this gave the designers at Messerschmitt a real headache as well!

On 11/26/2019 at 12:49 PM, Hajo_Garlic said:

I’ll be happy with any variant. I wonder what the rear guns will be like.  The gunsight is pretty cool too irc, doesn’t it hang from above?

I never thought we would get a 410, I think it still hasn’t hit me yet that we are. I wonder how it will stack up against the 110s, my favorite ride in game.

Tom...is that you, brah?

Edited by GreenSound

8 hours ago, =RvE=Windmills said:

It used to carry 2x500kg in the front bay, at least in 1946 iirc. I don't  think there's room for 4x anything. I don't recall any under wing shackles either. 

and even with the SC500 they could not close the bombdoors totaly!

IIRC with 2xSD500 it was possible - i have to check that.

On 11/27/2019 at 7:19 AM, Hajo_Garlic said:

The gun sight is mechanism is set at approximately chest height for the gunner in the seated position, see clip below at 2.57 minute mark.

Looking at that footage... I'm kindof suspecting that we'll only have the pilot position as playable 😄

2 minutes ago, -332FG-Mheetu said:

Messerschmitt-Me-410-Hornisse-02.jpgwerferdrehling3.jpg

Me 410 was equipped with a mechanically rotating drum containing 6 x 21 cm projector tubes.....

"Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a 21 cm NbW 42, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your airplane apart, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"

• Haha 3

On 11/28/2019 at 8:47 PM, III/JG53Frankyboy said:

and even with the SC500 they could not close the bombdoors totaly!

IIRC with 2xSD500 it was possible - i have to check that.

indeed, the bombbay doors could only be totaly closed with 1xSC500 or 2XSD500 (they were slimmer).

It was flown with 2 SC500, true, but with speed and rangeloss. What might the speedloss bee.....30-40km/h !?

40 minutes ago, -332FG-Mheetu said:

Messerschmitt-Me-410-Hornisse-02.jpgwerferdrehling3.jpg

Me 410 was equipped with a mechanically rotating drum containing 6 x 21 cm projector tubes.....

only fieldtested, never flown operationally in that configuration and from what i read it never really worked, good enough for a certain F2P game but not IL-2 :D

On 11/26/2019 at 1:16 PM, pfrances said:

Hoping for the U4 variant with the BK-5 sticking out front. 50mm big badda boom

Me_410_Hornisse_with_BK_5.jpg

What type of plane was this taken from? I cant tell if its axis or allied.. but if allied.. EEEK

4 hours ago, =362nd_FS=RoflSeal said:

"Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a 21 cm NbW 42, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your airplane apart, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"

Ah, well... it worked for setting the launching aircraft on fire if I recall correctly...

...apparently they actually field tested it after working out some of the problems... but not enough of them...?

Edited by Avimimus

38 minutes ago, Sublime said:

What type of plane was this taken from? I cant tell if its axis or allied.. but if allied.. EEEK

Four slots in the wing just behind the engine nacel identify it as a b17

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sublime said:

As stated by Razer, a B-17. One can tell it is a B-17 by the row of vents behind the nacelle in the bottom right corner of the photo.

A little slow in posting as pfrances beat me to it.

Edited by MiloMorai

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

B-17

Unbenannt.jpg

• Like 1

I think one of the reasons why this is confusing is the fact that many weapon bay mods were given two designations a "U" designation if they were installed at the factory and an "R" designation if they were installed at the airfield.

From what I can tell the /U4 variant with the BK-5 had a different gun-sight... and may be a very different model (maybe it makes more sense as a Collector's Plane?)

It also isn't clear how many of which kits reached the front - maybe someone else has better sources?

From January 1943
2x20mm 2x7.92mm
A-1    Bomb bay
A-1/U1 Cameras (partly superseded by the unarmed A-3)
A-1/U2 2xMg151 (total 4x20mm, 2x7.92mm)
A-2/U4 1x50mm, 21rpg (different gunsight)
...all recon and bomber variants converted to /U2 heavy fighters starting 8th May 1944

From April 1944
All variants up-engined; 2x7.92mm replaced with 2x13mm
B-1    Bomb bay

B-2/R2 2xMk108
B-2/R3 2xMk103
B-2/R4 2xMg151 (total 4x20mm)
B-2/R5 4xMg151 (total 6x20mm)
B-2/U4 1x50mm & 2x30mm Mk-103
Operational experiments: Bk3.7, 6x21cm rocket in weapons bay (actually operationally tested)!

Bomb loads:
Internal Normal: 1xSC500 (Overload: 1xSC1000 or 2xSC500 or 8xSC50)
External: 4xSC50 or 4xWGr21 or 2xSC250

Edited by Avimimus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

B-17

Unbenannt.jpg

Whoaa. Can you imagine a plane doing an aborted pass and seeing that ****ing cannon?? 

Captions interesting.  The German plane was down within minutes of the photo.  

Edit: removed derp question when I realized it wssnt Ju88 for some reason brain fart

Edited by Sublime

52 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

I think one of the reasons why this is confusing is the fact that many weapon bay mods were given two designations a "U" designation if they were installed at the factory and an "R" designation if they were installed at the airfield.

From what I can tell the /U4 variant with the BK-5 had a different gun-sight... and may be a very different model (maybe it makes more sense as a Collector's Plane?)

It also isn't clear how many of which kits reached the front - maybe someone else has better sources?

From January 1943
2x20mm 2x7.92mm
A-1    Bomb bay
A-1/U1 Cameras (partly superseded by the unarmed A-3)
A-1/U2 2xMg151 (total 4x20mm, 2x7.92mm)
A-2/U4 1x50mm, 21rpg (different gunsight)
...all recon and bomber variants converted to /U2 heavy fighters starting 8th May 1944

From April 1944
All variants up-engined; 2x7.92mm replaced with 2x13mm
B-1    Bomb bay

B-2/R2 2xMk108
B-2/R3 2xMk103
B-2/R4 2xMg151 (total 4x20mm)
B-2/R5 4xMg151 (total 6x20mm)
B-2/U4 1x50mm & 2x30mm Mk-103
Operational experiments: Bk3.7, 6x21cm rocket in weapons bay (actually operationally tested)!

Bomb loads:
External: 4xSC50 or 4xWGr21 or 2xSC250

Nice writeup.

The nice thing is that most of these seem doable considering all the weapons already exist ingame, including the 2x151 pod.

The 50mm sounds like by far the most work though, despite being the most interesting. I'd love to see it but I'm not sure if its possible considering the investment required to create the 410 in the first place.

49 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

)!

Bomb loads:

as said above:

1xSD1000

1xSC500

2xSD500

2xSC250

8xSC50

were the normal internal bombloads

2xSC500

1xSC1000

could be carried BUT the bombdoors could not be closed totaly - german engeniering as its best 🤣

1 hour ago, =RvE=Windmills said:

Nice writeup.

The nice thing is that most of these seem doable considering all the weapons already exist ingame, including the 2x151 pod.

The 50mm sounds like by far the most work though, despite being the most interesting. I'd love to see it but I'm not sure if its possible considering the investment required to create the 410 in the first place.

Having the 410 without the 50mm would be a bit disappointing. I'm gonna keep hoping for the best ;)

• Upvote 1

I think the biggest question is whether we get an Me 410A-2 or an Me 410B-2... the B-2 is a later model with more options, but the A-2 would be useful over a longer period of time and there is an A in England.