ME-BFMasserME262

Yak-9T vs Yak-9

Knowing zero about those planes, I ask you people:

If I gave you 20 bucks, only 20, which one would you buy and why?

Edit: also, how different are those from the Yak-7?

Edited by ME-BFMasserME262

You'll be losing one of the UB 12.7mm guns the Yak-7 has... there are multiple changes to different systems (engine, wing) which means that it will handle differently.

4 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Edit: also, who different are those from the Yak-7?

I would buy the 9T since I usually prefer fighters.  I prefer the 20mm for air to air over the 37mm.  9T if you like ground attack in a plane that can still hold its own quite well in air to air,  or if you like really big guns on a fighter,

The Hurricane 😀

If I actually had to choose between the 9 and the 9T, I would wait until there is more information available, such as the included modifications.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

21 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I would buy the 9T since I usually prefer fighters.  I prefer the 20mm for air to air over the 37mm.  9T if you like ground attack in a plane that can still hold its own quite well in air to air,  or if you like really big guns on a fighter,

wait I dont understand, you say you would buy the one with the 37mm gun, but then say you prefer the 20mm over the 37. What I am missing here?

For what I understand, 9T is a "heavier" version, less maneuverable but most powerful guns, but Im not sure at all 

• Like 1

Just now, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

wait I dont understand, you say you would buy the one with the 37mm gun, but then say you prefer the 20mm over the 37. What I am missing here?

For what I understand, 9T is a "heavier" version, less maneuverable but most powerful guns, but Im not sure at all 

Apologies, I wasn't clear.  I personally would buy the 9 because I like flying fighters.  The rest was why somebody else with different interests might buy the 9T instead.  If you like ground attack then 9T is the obvious choice.  If you prefer air to air IMHO 9 is better but some people might still prefer the 9T for it's 37mm.

• Like 1

Yak-9, as I don't like the slow rate of fire on those big guns.

I really want to buy everything, but I wince when I buy as I have a hard time justifying the purchases compared to my other debts. I pre-ordered the 9 today and may end up getting the 9T later this monthe.

Edited by cardboard_killer

11 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Apologies, I wasn't clear.  I personally would buy the 9 because I like flying fighters.  The rest was why somebody else with different interests might buy the 9T instead.  If you like ground attack then 9T is the obvious choice.  If you prefer air to air IMHO 9 is better but some people might still prefer the 9T for it's 37mm.

I thought for a moment that you were saying you'd get the 9T in order to challenge yourself into liking something you are less than keen on. ;)

9 minutes ago, Danziger said:

Buy em all and let God sort em out.

just ordered pedals for the sim, and last week I bought a head tracker.

Actually my budget is very tight right now, until January I guess, but I ask this question to know beforehand what to buy when the moment arrives 😄

Funny to think that some days ago I said somewhere in the forums that I would definitely not buy any of the three new planes, but now I feel the urge of getting those yaks...

I would. 

You'll probably have the money for it long before they are released anyway. They are still some months away.

But if I could get only one it would be the T since it's more different than the other Yaks already available.

If it is the same 37MM as can be equipped on the LaGG then no, I would go Yak-9. I can never hit squat with that gun.

4 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Actually my budget is very tight right now, until January I guess, but I ask this question to know beforehand what to buy when the moment arrives 😄

Stay calm. It isn´t very likely that you can fly either of them before easter 2020.

Without more information on what modifications the Yak-9 vanilla is getting, I picked up the 9T as it will probably end up being more unique, and on top of that I think the set-back cockpit just looks a lot more swish

1 minute ago, [CPT]Pike*HarryM said:

If it is the same 37MM as can be equipped on the LaGG then no, I would go Yak-9. I can never hit squat with that gun.

It's the NS-37 found on the Il-2 1943

Do remember that the VVS used the 9T in the fighter role, not the ground attack role, just as they did with the P39.  A big gun does not have to mean ground attack only.  I look forward to shredding some He 111s and Ju88s with it.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

In the NN squadron, the Yak-9T was used as a fighter, same as "normal Yaks".

6 minutes ago, szelljr said:

...YAK 9 s' but no Korea map. 😢. (lol)

Completely different kind of Yak though (all metal, B-20 cannons etc.)

52 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

They are as different from the Yak-7 as the Yak-7 is from the Yak-1. Yak-9 has a more powerful engine, more metal involved in construction (and lighter, IIRC). It has only 1 12.7mm mg rather than 2. So it's  faster, should climb better, and should turn a little better too. Cockpit is quite a bit different, if Il-2 1946's model is anything to go by.

The announcement makes it kinda seem like the Yak-9T was used mostly as a ground attack platform but IIRC it was actually usually deployed in a fighter configuration and used primarily in an Air-to-Air role, with only incidental A/G usage.  

If I was going to pick one up, I would pick the Yak-9T. Its a little different in terms of armament, handling, etc. and seems it would be more interesting. That said the 37mm cannons in this sim are not quite as devastating as they were in Il-2 1946 so I'm not sure it will have all that much extra punch on top of the 20mm in A/A. However you would be able to kill tanks with it in ground attack sorties.

For me it’s gotta be the t, but mostly because I’m good with the 37 and a horrible shot with shvaks unless it’s in a mig3 or la5, somehow I can aim without tracers fine.

im sure the regular 9 will be awesome too, wonder how it will stack against the 1b.

as far as the collectors go, the hawker has my eye...

Edited by Hajo_Garlic

2 hours ago, jeanba said:

In the NN squadron, the Yak-9T was used as a fighter, same as "normal Yaks".

By the entirety of the VVS RKKA, actually. The -9T wasn't used as a dedicated ground attack fighter. The 37mm NS gun was installed to address the issue of the limited firepower of the Yak-9, especially against the armored 190Fs. It was a pure fighter and most Soviet aces liked it better than the 20mm gun version as the heavier cannon was used like an airbourne sniper.

It was too poorly armored, vulnerable, low payload for main armament, no bomb racks, etc. 

The base -9 had two dedicated versions for ground pounding - the (much maligned) -9B "bomber" and the -9K armed with a 45mm cannon. Both were produced in very limited quantities (the -9K actually pre-series only and was field tested by the 812th IAP in 1944, never actually deployed in services) and were, overall, disliked. The -9B in particular.

No Yak family fighter was ever put in a dedicated ground attack role after the rushed use of the original Yak-1s in 1941 with rockets and bombs.

Edited by Burdokva
typos

2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

They are as different from the Yak-7 as the Yak-7 is from the Yak-1. Yak-9 has a more powerful engine, more metal involved in construction (and lighter, IIRC). It has only 1 12.7mm mg rather than 2. So it's  faster, should climb better, and should turn a little better too. Cockpit is quite a bit different, if Il-2 1946's model is anything to go by.

The announcement makes it kinda seem like the Yak-9T was used mostly as a ground attack platform but IIRC it was actually usually deployed in a fighter configuration and used primarily in an Air-to-Air role, with only incidental A/G usage.  

If I was going to pick one up, I would pick the Yak-9T. Its a little different in terms of armament, handling, etc. and seems it would be more interesting. That said the 37mm cannons in this sim are not quite as devastating as they were in Il-2 1946 so I'm not sure it will have all that much extra punch on top of the 20mm in A/A. However you would be able to kill tanks with it in ground attack sorties.

actually the development line was

Yak-1 to Yak-3

and

Yak-7  to Yak-9, there were late 7series yuo cant tell the difference to an early 9 series!

the original 7 was developed as a two seat fightertrainer. But its flightcharakteristics were found so good, it was put into combat service . With only one seat 😉

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hajo_Garlic said:

im sure the regular 9 will be awesome too, wonder how it will stack against the 1b.

I really wonder how different those two (1B and 9) will be.

1 hour ago, III/JG53Frankyboy said:

the original 7 was developed as a two seat fightertrainer. But its flightcharakteristics were found so good, it was put into combat service . With only one seat 😉

Not totally true, the first combat serie of Yak 7 with M105-P engine still had the back seat, even if the rear controls were removed. Usefull for moving ground staff on other airfield to avoid german advance. But we speak about 72 aircrafts, anecdotic in the story of all yak-7 produced.

Would it be helpful to try those in 1946?

Anyone tried that? Im not a big fan of 1946's FM, but maybe it is reliable enough to compare 9 vs 9T

1 hour ago, Notclear said:

Not totally true, the first combat serie of Yak 7 with M105-P engine still had the back seat, even if the rear controls were removed. Usefull for moving ground staff on other airfield to avoid german advance. But we speak about 72 aircrafts, anecdotic in the story of all yak-7 produced.

There were also Yak-7 with the rear position fared over and with Yak-9 style bubble canopies...

17 hours ago, III/JG53Frankyboy said:

actually the development line was

Yak-1 to Yak-3

and

Yak-7  to Yak-9, there were late 7series yuo cant tell the difference to an early 9 series!

Both "lines" were developed from the same I-26 prototype. Due to Soviet nomenclature in aircraft naming people assume they are different models but more truthfully, they are major versions of an aircraft - much like the Bf 109's E - G, or Spitfire major Marks.

13 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Anyone tried that? Im not a big fan of 1946's FM, but maybe it is reliable enough to compare 9 vs 9T

Generally, the Yak-1b would be marginally slower and more maneuverable. The Yak-9 was the "heavier" frame so it should feel that way, both more solid and just a bit more heavier during maneuvers. It should be slightly faster in level speed owing to improved aerodynamic and a new wing design.

There's definitely a distinct feeling to them in the old 1946 although you could hop in either and still feel comfortable.  

How much ammo do you get with the 37mm?

Bought the vanilla 9, but holding out on the 9t- I'm an awful shot! 

2 hours ago, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

How much ammo do you get with the 37mm?

I believe it had 30 rounds unless I'm mistaken.

57 minutes ago, Cleverviking said:

30 rounds

Christ that's stingy! 

On 11/26/2019 at 8:33 PM, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

IIRC from 1946 The Yak-9T had noticeably poorer handling and climb. But the 37mm in that game was basically a 1 hit kill machine, in this game from what we've seen from the P-39's 37mm it might not be quite as powerful. You could always download the Il2Compare app from one of the older Il-2 forums and see what the performance figures are. It should give you a rough idea of what to expect.

But really, we shouldn't use old Il-2s FM to draw conclusions on what we will get. It was good for its time IMO but not to the standard we deal with now.

5 minutes ago, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

Christ that's stingy! 

In Il-2 1946 I always waited until I was very close to even bother with the 37mm, using two round bursts once I was already hitting with the 12.7mm. I think the actual 'trigger time' for the 37mm was pretty close to the 20mm actually, it just fired a lot slower. But its ballistics and velocity are better than the m4 on the P-39 so it should be a little easier to hit with. I do wish they had kept the second 12.7 mm on the Yak-9, fighting with just HMGs is totally viable in this game, especially the nose mounted soviet ones.

I DID manage a couple truly spectacular 90 degree deflection shots with the cannon. But they were the exception, rather than the rule. I'm sure some of the aces out there will be snipers with the thing, but my lot in life is to be the snipe-ee rather than the sniper.

• Like 1

Yak-9T if you want to literally launch refrigerators at enemy planes and blow them up in 1 hit

29153e287e.png

Edited by Trixie
  • Haha 1

From a fighting standpoint, if one already has the Yak-1B, is there any point in getting a Yak-9?

Thanks!

CFC Conky

I'll just point out that the NS-37 that the 9T is armed with has a muzzle velocity that is higher than the ShVAK cannon by about 100 m/s. It has a much higher velocity than the M4 round of the P-39.

1 hour ago, =CFC=Conky said:

From a fighting standpoint, if one already has the Yak-1B, is there any point in getting a Yak-9?

Thanks!

CFC Conky

No, that's why they're called collector planes. They're something different, not a pay to win thing.

Admittedly when the yak1b came out it was an all round improvement on the yak1 s.69, but once the yak 7b came out it's there for variety.

The 9 series is a development of the 7 series.  The 1 is the "light" fighter of the Yaks, and spawned the 3.

I bought the 9, I'm going to hold off on the 9T (since I'll probably fly it a handful of times in the QMB, if ever).

What I'm really hoping for is improved cockpit textures over the Yak-1 / 1b. 

On 11/26/2019 at 6:41 PM, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

So from how it was in il-2 1946, Yak-9 was faster on higher alts, climb also better high it had better turn but just slightly nothing noticable to Yak-1b.

Yak-9T was heavyer so worst climb and speed and turn then Yak-9, but haz good ns37mm.

I think both would be better then Yak-7 we have in game in all aspects exept maybe ammo amount you have.

f your into DF take Yak-9

If you hunt bombers ships tanks ground targets , take Yak-9T

if you have yak-1b , you can wait on Yak-9, and get then Yak-9T now.

Edited by 77.CountZero