Anybody else smell BoB?

Definitely under the category of way too early, but anybody else smell Battle of Britain?  After BoN we will have most of the map.  Take that map and shift it northwest a bit.  

Spitfire MK . I

Hurricane MK I

Blenheim

Beaufighter

Me109E4

BF110C

Ju87B

Do17

CR42

... just sayin :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 7
Just now, FarflungWanderer said:

I was thinking the same thing, Pat. The map could stay the same and they could just add the functionality to continue an early war career onto the BoN map.

Battle of France expansion, anyone?

I am already thinking that post BoN we can do 1941 to 1944.  If not 1941 then certainly 1942.  Don't need anything more than what we already have.  BoB would bring us back to 1940 and it would mostly be low hanging fruit (relatively speaking ... I do not want to understate the effort).  The most important planes already exist but we would need older versions.   

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I am already thinking that post BoN we can do 1941 to 1944.  If not 1941 then certainly 1942.  Don't need anything more than what we already have.  BoB would bring us back to 1940 and it would mostly be low hanging fruit (relatively speaking ... I do not want to understate the effort).  The most important planes already exist but we would need older versions.   

What you don’t have is the ability to get enough aircraft in the air to make it believable (especially bombers) - at least until/unless some things are optimized.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

What you don’t have is the ability to get enough aircraft in the air to make it believable (especially bombers) - at least until/unless some things are optimized.

Agree. BoN tries to represent the tactical attacks and Channel Battles but you never know with the team! If time has shown something is the ability of 1C to overdeliver and work steadily on the saga so they always make me believe it's Xmas again!

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

True, and that might scupper any thoughts.  OTOH it might do the opposite, provide incentive to improve performance to get more planes in the air ... eventually leading to 4 engine development ...

I'm feeling very glass half full today :) 

40 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Definitely under the category of way too early, but anybody else smell Battle of Britain?  After BoN we will have most of the map.  Take that map and shift it northwest a bit.  

Spitfire MK . I

Hurricane MK I

Blenheim

Beaufighter

Me109E4

BF110C

Ju87B

Do17

CR42

Was just thinking about this on my drive to work. Even if they give us Norway next, with Early planes - we can use those planes on this map and do the BoB ourselves...

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The game needs to handle more than a handful of aircraft in the sky first. It's fairly difficult to imagine anything close to the required scale actually happening in BoX unless there is some fundamental change under the hood. Being offered a Battle of Britain expansion with the current limitations would be a non-purchase for me.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Spitfire MK . I

Hurricane MK I

Blenheim

Beaufighter

Me109E4

BF110C

Ju87B

Do17

CR42

But London is missing on BoN map, it was primary objective for LW, wasn't it?

2 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

But London is missing on BoN map, it was primary objective for LW, wasn't it?

The map will also be a bit late... but they could make a map that was further North-West reusing some of the data (e.g. just Calais and England).

I sure hope so! That or the Med/Africa. 

I was soooo happy not see this module come up with the battle of Normandy. I was afraid it would be Korea which would be the death knell for this series for me.

Flesh out the rest of Europe theater (including the eastern and northern fronts) is my wish for this franchise.

• Like 1

Yes. Very yes. 

Depending on how the CloD North Africa campaign goes and other third party efforts go, I could see 777 possibly pulling in Team Fusion to work on a GB Battle of Britain while they're doing post Battle of Normandy Pacific expansion. 

I can also see them using Battle of Normandy to get the time they need to work through the AI limitations the engine currently has. I do notice a B-26 Maurader in the lineup. While its not a B-17, it has quite a heavy crew to it. 

Looking at the periods of the plane set, I'm also thinking the PTO expansion may be in the 1943 time frame... 

2 hours ago, Leifr said:

The game needs to handle more than a handful of aircraft in the sky first. It's fairly difficult to imagine anything close to the required scale actually happening in BoX unless there is some fundamental change under the hood. Being offered a Battle of Britain expansion with the current limitations would be a non-purchase for me.

this this this.

While I understand devs need money, I would love and even pay for, to see they stop working ok new content, and just dedicate their time to improve existing things: AI, clouds, optimization, etc.

I can live with the game as it is now, but I really want to see some things improved/fixed soon.

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

True, and that might scupper any thoughts.  OTOH it might do the opposite, provide incentive to improve performance to get more planes in the air ... eventually leading to 4 engine development ...

I'm feeling very glass half full today :) 

May I please ask, out of respect to those who are lamenting the death of the PTO dream today, that we avoid using nautical terms in our posts.  It's just too early.  

Thank you.

• Haha 3

map opens up for some collectable airplanes from earlyer period to complement existing airplanes from other DLCs, but i dont expect any Battle of France or Battle of Britain DLCs.

What i expect after boN is Battle of some late war east front to give yak-3, la-7, tu-2, il-10, p-39q, 109g10, 190a9, ta-152 ... to game, and then after that who knows, you would lock your self out of any big europe areas exept Italy 43 where you could get 10 airplanes 5v5 , so it would be that or either korea, or some pto finaly or new engine and repete all again in differant order

Edited by 77.CountZero
4 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The map certainly lends itself to playing out the Dieppe raid in 1942 with Spitfire Vs and the first few IXs. There's also the possibility of the Amiens raid (Operation Jericho, Feb 44) in Mossies and Tiffies.

2 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

May I please ask, out of respect to those who are lamenting the death of the PTO dream today, that we avoid using nautical terms in our posts.  It's just too early.  

Thank you.

I'll bow to your stern request...sorry...   :blush:

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

As it was mentioned there is a possibility of a new game engine down the road. That would be something if they could do it and still have the plane set we are currently using being portable to that newer engine. I'm getting a little long in tooth to think I might still be simming 15-20 years down the road and that we'd have start over basically from scratch as we did with BoS.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Voyager said:

Depending on how the CloD North Africa campaign goes and other third party efforts go, I could see 777 possibly pulling in Team Fusion to work on a GB Battle of Britain

Not going to happen. A BoB in GBs is more likely to happen than TFS working for IL-2 GBs.

You could definitely cosplay a Battle of Britain scenario with the planes we currently have or will get.

Make some period correct skins for the Spitfire Mk.V, and the other planes we have and you could get away with it.

The only plane you would be missing would be a British bomber like a Blenheim.

But a full blown BoB plane set would also be amazing. But that's going to be years down the line if it happens.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything. Especially after today. 

il2_bob.jpg.aa603fb73e0a6d9e884a965456fd01d9.thumb.jpg.358e313dcd6630b162e35c0255e931ca.jpg

Edited by Motherbrain
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, JimTM said:

I'll bow to your stern request...sorry...   :blush:

Thank you sir. Your efforts will help any who are adrift in fathoming the announcement news and keep their emotions on an even keel, as we keep watch for any positive news on which to anchor our hopes and funnel our energies on.  :good:

• Haha 2

I was wondering what that smell was? Sort of a tart, acrid, oily English channel kind of smell rather than a tits out Pacific smell. I thought it was a virus. It'd be good to have that same smell in FC.😀

Edited by catchov
10 hours ago, Rjel said:

As it was mentioned there is a possibility of a new game engine down the road. That would be something if they could do it and still have the plane set we are currently using being portable to that newer engine. I'm getting a little long in tooth to think I might still be simming 15-20 years down the road and that we'd have start over basically from scratch as we did with BoS.

But Jason mentioned new engine  focusing mainly on graphics. :(

There are several smells going on tbh (although that could be down to a dodgy 'ruby' last night).

Battle of France, Battle of Britain and Channel melees in 41, 42, 43 are definitely possible. I know the map as shown on the announcement doesn't include London, but on the map itself it said 'Final size May differ - work in progress'. If they can possibly include London without making it too big, that'll be great.

Battle of France would obviously need some French planes, a Morane would help as it could be used in any Finnish/Leningrad map in the future. From a career perspective, you could have a French career moving from the Battle of France to Battle of Britain and then into the BoM, BoS, BoK in a semi realistic 'Normandie Niemen' kind of thing.

Ah well it's good to dream 😊.