Jump to content
Schnauz

B-24 Liberator

Recommended Posts

This will seem like a stupid question to most of you but I'm new here so please cut me a bit of slack. Ive seen the videos of some of you flying the B-24 Liberator in various missions. My dad was the gunner on the port side of a B-24 in North Africa and I'd love to get this aircraft to fly in the game but have no idea where to get it from. I would really appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction to get his awesome plane to add to my game. My dad passed while I was at Lackland AFB and I know very little about his military career except for what I previously mentioned.

 

Any assistance to this would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks in advance guys.

 

Schnauz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless something changes in the game engine, we're likely never to see any of the heavier bombers appear in game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

The American heavy bombers cannot be modeled currently. This is apparently because most computers couldn't even handle a small formation given the number of AI gunners etc.

 

My suggestion would be to obtain a copy of Il-2 1946 (e.g. from gog.com) as this sim has a fully flyable B-24 thanks to the hard work of modders and the support of the developer for continued free releases. It isn't as highly detailed - but it is one of the only, and certainly the best, representation of B-24s in a sim.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an expert here. But this forum is for the NEW il2, previosuly known as Battle of Stalingrad, now called il2 Great Battles series.

The videos you mention are probably from the original (older) il2 1946, probably a modded version of it.

I would sugest you to try this new il2. But also to look at the Sub-forum on this webpage related yo il2 1946 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/123-general-discussion/

Cheers

Edited by =FEW=fernando11
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the game engine changed to allow a massive difference in object/horizon view, then the 10k bubble was changed, 32 bit became 64bit etc. Etc

 

Expect changes 😎

 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I REALLY appreciate it. I wasn't aware there was a older version of the game out there. I wondered where they got the aircraft from and this answers the question. Again, thanks!

 

Schnauz

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to getting the old Il2 1946, available on Steam or GOG, you will have to check out the website of TEAM DAIDALOS, where the new patches are being developed and released. IIRC merely buying the il2 1946 does not come with the patches that include the b24 (which would be patch 4.12 or 4.13 iirc). 

 

I have tried playing again that sim again some time ago. It is still good but, alas, my eyes have become accustomed to the newer things and I can't go back to that. The Liberator was wonderful though!

Edited by danielprates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, danielprates said:

In addition to getting the old Il2 1946, available on Steam or GOG, you will have to check out the website of TEAM DAIDALOS, where the new patches are being developed and released. IIRC merely buying the il2 1946 does not come with the patches that include the b24 (which would be patch 4.12 or 4.13 iirc). 

 

 

I think the GOG version gets the TD patches regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dakpilot said:

Well the game engine changed to allow a massive difference in object/horizon view, then the 10k bubble was changed, 32 bit became 64bit etc. Etc

 

Expect changes 😎

 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

 

A man can dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tycoon said:

I think the GOG version gets the TD patches regularly.

 

It used to be the case - but I checked just now and it seems they rolled back to 4.10m...? Maybe it is due to the whole fiasco around hyperlobby incompatibility and 4.14 deleting files from the install it felt were suspiciously mod like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tycoon said:

I think the GOG version gets the TD patches regularly.

 

Oh yea... it does. Steam does not, i think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i really wanna see some bombers as well.

Lancasters and B-24''s, B17's et cetera... Kinda feels incomplete without those.

 

Lets hope they can make the necessary changes to the engine to put them in.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hopeful we see AI work in this expansion. They've added the B-25, and are adding the B-26, both of while had significant crews, and I don't this this is going to include new physics the way Bodenplatte needed to, so there's a bit more available bandwidth to work on AI issues. For me, at least, their effort making the terrain multi threaded was a huge success. I can see them wanting to replicate that in the AI side of the house. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mainstay said:

i really wanna see some bombers as well.

Lancasters and B-24''s, B17's et cetera... Kinda feels incomplete without those.

 

Lets hope they can make the necessary changes to the engine to put them in.

Who needs 4 engined bombers? There were only.like.tens of thousands of them.

Lol

5 hours ago, Schnauz said:

This will seem like a stupid question to most of you but I'm new here so please cut me a bit of slack. Ive seen the videos of some of you flying the B-24 Liberator in various missions. My dad was the gunner on the port side of a B-24 in North Africa and I'd love to get this aircraft to fly in the game but have no idea where to get it from. I would really appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction to get his awesome plane to add to my game. My dad passed while I was at Lackland AFB and I know very little about his military career except for what I previously mentioned.

 

Any assistance to this would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks in advance guys.

 

Schnauz

Hey dude 2 things

I got a cd copy of il2 46 sitting around here spmewhere. Want it?

2. Youtube fishyy

He has il2 46 vids.  Look at his vids flting the b24. Theyre actually my favs to watch of his

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully they''ll reconsider and add either the B-17 or B-24 as AI, they are really needed to do this theater any justice. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

Hopefully they''ll reconsider and add either the B-17 or B-24 as AI, they are really needed to do this theater any justice. 

 

Not true.

Again this about tactical operations, not strategic bombing.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, -332FG-Hank_DG said:

They aren't even able to model the b25 as a flyable aircraft let alone a b24

 

They are able to - it's just that they've decided to direct their resources towards other planes. Building twin-engine planes with multiple crew stations takes a lot of time, after all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, -332FG-Hank_DG said:

 

I would absolutely buy a flyable b25 and 26

Flyable B-17/B-24 not the medium bombers, we are likely to see those down the road.

Edited by ShadowStalker887

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ShadowStalker887 said:

Flyable B-17/B-24 not the medium bombers, we are likely to see those down the road.

Idk man, they are medium but much more complex compared to the flyable ones we have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, -332FG-Hank_DG said:

Idk man, they are medium but much more complex compared to the flyable ones we have now.

Hence why they have introduced them as AI planes for now, they can spread the development time (and cost) across multiple modules. For example the B-25D has its exterior, flight and damage model basically finished which means there is less work to do when they finally release it as a collector or module aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well what about a Lancaster then??  

I mean, it only had three gunners.. radio operator, pilot, and bombardier— which was one of the gunners... crew 7... if you’re piloting, only three really need to be ‘smart’ lol...

the others just have to know how to bail out when things get hairy.. 

I mean...  

 

 

has this been tested yet?

maybe it’s actually the bomb loads that slow everything down... 

If you have five he-111’s with one big bomb each check performance, then drop load, check performance...

then have the same flight with max number of bombs each and do the same checks...

Anywho...  I love what’s happening.  I’m happy :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, [1/KG]_Cathal_Brugha said:

I would

Me too. I shelled out about that much for a single 109 in DCS, a lot of nobodies buy single AC for that much. $60 for a B17 or a Lanc, that's comparatively cheap

:salute:

skud

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

 

Not true.

Again this about tactical operations, not strategic bombing.

I agree with the other poster man.  I ubderstans its tactical.  Im advocating AI bombers.  There were tens of thousands of each type around.  You can only say the same in our current set for the 109 and Il2 as far as I know.

I love the game as I said before. Its just weird without them in a 43-43 NWE West vs Germany

13 hours ago, Mac_Messer said:

And it would cost like 60$ each, nobody would buy it.

Idk man. People bought the ju52.  The po2.  I think a iconic b17 combat ac would sell better than that.  But further I think enougg would pay..

Doesnt matter anyways.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe that it is technical limitations preventing the development of heavy bombers.


The He-111 has six gunner positions and two engines.

A B-24 has six gunner positions and four engines.


I'm certainly not saying that they are equal in the demand they will put on the CPU and I know not all of the He111's gunners are manned all of the time, however, if the game is comfortable with 80 He-111's in the air, it is difficult to imagine that a heavy bomber is impossible for the game engine to handle in it's current form.

 

That said, I'm sure the developers have good reasons not to include them at the moment.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, spartan85 said:

Well what about a Lancaster then??  

I mean, it only had three gunners.. radio operator, pilot, and bombardier— which was one of the gunners... crew 7... if you’re piloting, only three really need to be ‘smart’ lol...

the others just have to know how to bail out when things get hairy.. 

I mean...  

 

 

has this been tested yet?

maybe it’s actually the bomb loads that slow everything down... 

If you have five he-111’s with one big bomb each check performance, then drop load, check performance...

then have the same flight with max number of bombs each and do the same checks...

Anywho...  I love what’s happening.  I’m happy :)


No thanks on the Lancaster. I suck bad enough during the daylight hours, let alone at night.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, Schnauz said:

This will seem like a stupid question to most of you but I'm new here so please cut me a bit of slack. Ive seen the videos of some of you flying the B-24 Liberator in various missions. My dad was the gunner on the port side of a B-24 in North Africa and I'd love to get this aircraft to fly in the game but have no idea where to get it from. I would really appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction to get his awesome plane to add to my game. My dad passed while I was at Lackland AFB and I know very little about his military career except for what I previously mentioned.

 

Any assistance to this would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks in advance guys.

 

Schnauz


1. Keep in mind there are no stupid questions here
 

2. I would have loved to meet him in person and thank him for his service, let alone knowing he flew on my favorite heavy bomber of all - the ‘24. Seems like the ‘17 got all the recognition but I’ll be a ‘24 guy till the day I drop dead. I’ve been through the B-17 and B-24 on numerous occasions and always what struck me was how small the B-17’s bomb bay was compared to the ‘24.

 

3. And yes, very unfortunately to get to fly that classic now is having to go back to now outdated graphics as others have said above. I for one would welcome even a AI heavy bomber in the duty of being an escort.

 

This shot taken from the port waist gunner position  of a ‘24 looks like one of the Cottontails as shot from the formation ship if I’m not mistaken. 

4C19571A-1E62-4FFA-9FFB-B19FCBAB1835.jpeg

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, [DBS]Browning said:

I don't believe that it is technical limitations preventing the development of heavy bombers.


The He-111 has six gunner positions and two engines.

A B-24 has six gunner positions and four engines.


I'm certainly not saying that they are equal in the demand they will put on the CPU and I know not all of the He111's gunners are manned all of the time, however, if the game is comfortable with 80 He-111's in the air, it is difficult to imagine that a heavy bomber is impossible for the game engine to handle in it's current form.

 

That said, I'm sure the developers have good reasons not to include them at the moment.

 

Yes but the B-24 is much larger and has more complex interiors to model compared to the He-111. Also the turrets on the B-24 are quite complex and theres not much in the way of technical drawings on them from what I can gather.

 

A heavy bomber is completely doable in current Il2 imo, the deciding factor is time and money.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, spartan85 said:

Well what about a Lancaster then??  

I mean, it only had three gunners.. radio operator, pilot, and bombardier— which was one of the gunners... crew 7... if you’re piloting, only three really need to be ‘smart’ lol...

the others just have to know how to bail out when things get hairy.. 

I mean...  

 

 

has this been tested yet?

maybe it’s actually the bomb loads that slow everything down... 

If you have five he-111’s with one big bomb each check performance, then drop load, check performance...

then have the same flight with max number of bombs each and do the same checks...

Anywho...  I love what’s happening.  I’m happy :)

 

Did you read my mind? I used the exact same argument. 😄

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Yes but the B-24 is much larger and has more complex interiors to model compared to the He-111. Also the turrets on the B-24 are quite complex and theres not much in the way of technical drawings on them from what I can gather.

 

A heavy bomber is completely doable in current Il2 imo, the deciding factor is time and money.

 

If the devs said look chaps, we can do a heavy bomber, but you will only get to sit in the pilot seat and use the bomb sight, and all the turrets & crew compartments will have to go on the good old if-and-when list...  I’d be fine with that.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

 

If the devs said look chaps, we can do a heavy bomber, but you will only get to sit in the pilot seat and use the bomb sight, and all the turrets & crew compartments will have to go on the good old if-and-when list...  I’d be fine with that.  

As would I if it meant actually getting a heavy in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure the game does run happily with significant numbers of He-111's in the air. When I rebuilt my rig, I did a test with a quick mission involving four He-111's and four B-25's, as well as a full complement of fighters on each side. During the parts I was engaging the He-111's, my frame rate was cut in half. 

 

I'm really hoping they can multi-thread the AI processing so we can have significant numbers of AI in operation without the system grinding to a halt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Voyager said:

I'm not sure the game does run happily with significant numbers of He-111's in the air.

 

You can find out yourself. We have a test scenario with 36 or 24 B-25s courtesy to IckyAtlas here. Check out the limits of your CPU and see for yourself.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

 

If the devs said look chaps, we can do a heavy bomber, but you will only get to sit in the pilot seat and use the bomb sight, and all the turrets & crew compartments will have to go on the good old if-and-when list...  I’d be fine with that.  

 

I'd honestly be fine if they made a heavy bomber AI only, medium, two engined kites are fun to fly but big aircraft are just too boring for me personally. (I prefer shooting 'em down! 😁

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too.  If they said here's a Lancaster.   Sorry it isn't very detailed.  It's AI only and just designed for night interceptions.   The gunners aren't very accurate and barely see you half the time.  The engine systems are pretty basic too, but hey.  You can light up a whole ton of them if you want...   that would be pretty damn good :)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Feathered_IV said:

Me too.  If they said here's a Lancaster.   Sorry it isn't very detailed.  It's AI only and just designed for night interceptions.   The gunners aren't very accurate and barely see you half the time.  The engine systems are pretty basic too, but hey.  You can light up a whole ton of them if you want...   that would be pretty damn good :)

 

Me three. I´m all for that option. 4-mots for me are only target drones. No interest in flying that. Way too boring.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would quite like the opportunity to fly some of the larger four-engined aircraft, but I would be ecstatic if they were simply made available for the AI in the first place. Their absence from the BoX series only grows more obvious the further down the road we go.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...